Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Is this the same "TV and Sports Guy" who used to bash the l/t unemployed and call them all lazy (circa 2009-10 or so if I recall)?
One and the same. Amazing how having the shoe on the other foot can raise bunions and callouses and be so painful. But whereas when he was knocking the unemployed left, right and center it was all their fault, now it's all the fault of the government, employers and the universe in general ...

Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
One and the same. Amazing how having the shoe on the other foot can raise bunions and callouses and be so painful. But whereas when he was knocking the unemployed left, right and center it was all their fault, now it's all the fault of the government, employers and the universe in general ...
Yep.

I did have something in common with TV and that is there were no jobs in my area either.

The difference is though when I decided I had to expand my search I did exactly that... found a job... and moved. It also helped that my career field is one of skilled trade and didn't involve state and/or federal cutbacks.

If I were in that position I'd be finding a new field.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Your response makes no sense. Maybe you should first read what's written before coming up with a quip.

That's pretty amusing when it's Obama who's pushing for extensions but also pushing for reform of the system to get rid of the couch potatoes.

Do you really think that continually repeating this mantra makes it true? You're in a dead hole of a profession right now and continually seeking jobs in the non-profit state-funded sector is futile. This was apparent way before you were laid off but for some reason you refuse to believe it. For the past year you could have been doing something productive to shift whatever knowledge you possess into a tangential field in the private sector. And there's absolutely no reason why you can't relocate to an area where there are jobs available.

He doesn't "upset" anyone, simply bewilders most. As far as your comment about constructive criticism, he's been given that ever since he started posting on CD years ago. He ignores it all but we continue to humor him as, without responses to his innumerable threads. he would lose what meager social interaction he has and in that respect we are providing a social service. As far as the "side note" is concerned I can only speak for myself but I work from home so can take time out to contribute to CD and other forums.

You are taking my comment out of context - just like you do his and others. I said the thread gives us nothing constructive with all your little battles and barbs every other post. Looks like he has plenty of friends on these boards - so I wouldn't worry about his social interaction.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM

^^^ Precisely why he has to suffer the comments he receives. But his threads remain a constant reminder on how not to live life in general which hopefully will be of help to others. And of course we all provide a social service to TVSG. I can only begin to imagine how frustrating his life must have been before he discovered CD and all its forums. They've now apparently become the epicenter of his social life and a central axis for him to vent all his frustrations and repeat his strange life rules year after year! Sadly entertaining.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You are taking my comment out of context - just like you do his and others. I said the thread gives us nothing constructive with all your little battles and barbs every other post. Looks like he has plenty of friends on these boards - so I wouldn't worry about his social interaction.
Oh, you popped in there as I was replying to the previous post. I'm honored that you should pick me out of such an esteemed group of contributors to specifically level some barbs at. As is the case on all forums you are of course entitled to express your opinion and I respect that inalienable right. Oh, and I DID address the issue of constructive criticism but maybe you missed that. No worries.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The people who want employment bad enough do this today. Realistically though, UI is keeping a lot of folks at least comfortable until something comes along. There are jobs out there, but most people do not want to do them. That's one reason why illegals continue to flood over the boarder.
How is UI keeping 'a lot of folks at least comfortable?' In NY, the max payout is $405/wk, which has not changed since the late 70's. With cost-of-living and taxes so high in NY, in addition to federal and state income taxes assessed on UI income, $405 is hardly going to keep you comfortable.

I love how the politicians, esp. the Republicans, love to say unemployment makes people lazy. It's such a modest benefit that is heavily subsidized by taxes. Very few can live and live comfortably on what most states pay out. We can't afford to offer a safety net for those effected by the recession, but we can offer $$ trillions of $$ to corporations and banks. I think our politicians are barking up the wrong tree, as they say.

NY also has one of the highest employer paid SUI taxes. Small business often pay over 4% in SUI tax, making NYS one of the most expensive to do business in.

To the point about relo, yes, if you're unemployed in NY or on LI, your best bet is to look outside of Northeast, depending on your skillset and experience.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I don't know what your husband does, but it must be something that is not a common skill in LA. The agency didn't blackball you, they really do NOT have any work or jobs there. I feel bad that you're working for $12 an hour, but that does seem about right for the salaries out there. Thank goodness you're with your mother and your husband was able to secure employment right away.

I found most of LA to be destitute when it came to employment. I could not wait to get out of there. I miss the place for other reasons, but no way in hell would I ever move back there again. Never, ever.
Not sure where you got the LA from, I don't live there.

I have a science degree and over 10 years of lab experience now *shrug* I live in a huge biotech and academic bio area

Just gonna keep chipping away until something better gives. My job is such a waste of my talents right now, I literally feel like a monkey, but at least it's making me some money...

Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Actually it's "Job Market Researcher" and I have been having a productive week
How cute, you've managed to craft a self-appointed title after being out of work for a year. Don't let the Liberals get wind of it, "Job Market Researcher" will be the PC phrase for unemployed.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Oh, you popped in there as I was replying to the previous post. I'm honored that you should pick me out of such an esteemed group of contributors to specifically level some barbs at. As is the case on all forums you are of course entitled to express your opinion and I respect that inalienable right. Oh, and I DID address the issue of constructive criticism but maybe you missed that. No worries.
Please read between the lines....... - with all the barbs and battles fought between TV guy and "others" , not singuling you out - there is nothing constructive in A thread should we choose to read it because there's so much friction between you all. Posters who stick to the thread topic are lost between all the BS. Esteemed???? - I don't think so - another one for the blocked list - you should try using it sometime

Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 AM

277 posts, read 519,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Report away Big Boy. Don't ask questions if you can't handle the answer.

At this point I consider you a leech who steals money from the deserving unemployed. After nearly 2 years out of work you should be trying to find a job, well I guess you are within your strictly defined parameters of whatever made up rules you have, instead of whining about the potential loss of EUC. Which will happen sooner or later.

I might have more sympathy for you but I then look at people I grew up with now in their late 50's who, when faced with unemployment, will take any job offered, most consisting of manual labor.
I am applying for anything out there right now - what stops me is 'able to lift more than 50lbs' requirements (even for clerical positions!) .. I am 64.. spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis, cataract, high blood pressure, asthma, sciatica, bulging neck that causes extreme pain in the back of my head ... can't lift more than 10 lbs. - can't stand for longer than 10 minutes without trying to support myself on something... I desperately need to work ... not dead yet ... was making 18.36/hr 12hr graveyard shifts - now applying for jobs paying minimum wage ... after 4 interviews in the last 10 months realized that my 'age' has more to do with not being hired than my skills or experience. Will never give up ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment