Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times

Advertisements

Alright ladies! Answer for your actions! You know women do this 100 times more than men in the workplace and I want to know why.

I have nothing against women. I get along great with every single one of my female co-workers. But seriously, whenever I mention something as light hearted as "How is your day going?" I very much risk getting a drama talk about how much they dislike so-and-so at the office.

After being in the professional workforce for just five months I have seen this to a tee. At first, I played along with it not knowing how far it could go. Now, whenever the girls at the office want to talk bad about others I just make some gesture that I paid attention to their statement and walk away.

Men rarely do this in the workplace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
I disagree. I just think men are more likely to pick one close confidant and talk to that one.

And, as another forum I am on says, what you need to do is "bean dip the conversation". By this I mean, if you say how are you, and they say they are miserable because they are dealing with someone they hate, just change the topic like they never even said it.

I have a coworker who goes out of her way to be rude. TOday for example....one of our coworkers said something funny, and another coworker tried to muffle the laugh and it came out as a sort of snort. The other, rude, coworker commented "So and so, whenever you make that noise, it sounds like you are gagging" This rude coworker is not particularly nice to the one she was speaking to, so I for one figured it was meant as a rude comment...and, well, it was not a nice thing to say, and there was no reason for it other than to be rude, so guessing that was the goal. Well, the coworker didn't respond, I didn't respond, and the one who made the initial comment that caused the laughter proceeded to ask me a question like nothing was said. Bean dip. The rude coworker made no attempt to continue the conversation.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yeeeaahh...the men are HUGE gossips, as well.

It all irritates me. So unprofessional.
Plus you know if they are talking **** about other people, they are doing it about you when you aren't there.
Which kind of makes everybody a backstabbing ahole.
Uncomfortable thought.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
I have found men to be much more gossipy than women particularly in the workplace! Isn't that strange? It's purely my personal experience, not claiming it's always the case across the board.

I used to gossip about myself at one job. I worked at an animal shelter and the volunteers would come complain that they heard they weren't allowed to start walking dogs until they'd had a lesson with some trainer lady. I'd respond "Oh god wait til you meet her, she's such a b*tch!" Then when they signed up for their lesson and saw it was ME that was the "trainer lady" I got to see some funny reactions!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
At my last job I worked with 13 guys and I was the only woman.... they were HORRIBLY gossipy and backstabbing!

I'd say women can be a little cattier about it, but guys like to roll their eyes and grunt a lot.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Where I work it is all the women. Complain and gossip all day. Ridiculous.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
For those of saying men are more gossipy, so wrong. From my experience the women love talking about others and well go to lunch just to talk about that. Never had that issuewiththe guys.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I don't believe there is a gender difference when it comes to gossip. Women, however, tend to gather together socially more so maybe it just seems to the OP they gossip more.

The work world pulls together folks of different backgrounds and different generations and requires they develop commonality in order to become a community. Regardless of who is in the group, this is a forced community. It takes effort to build a new and ever changing community and gossip simply plays a part in creating a shared interest and getting insight to community members' lives. It is pretty natural. It takes a great deal of discipline not to get sucked into destructive or petty gossip. But there's sometimes a fine line between gossip and networking; and sometimes everyone gets caught in the blur.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Everywhere I've worked, the men are less gossipy than the women about non-work-related issues but they're just as gossipy if not more so when it comes to actual office politics.

Smokers are also much more gossipy than non-smokers. I get my best dirt when smoking.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Where I work, it seems like the guys are just as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment