Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,482,237 times

Advertisements

I'm working on my resume and getting some interview questions together, you never know. So last night I was working on weaknesses and I'm a bit stumped. I'm not saying I don't have any, I do - but I'm trying to spin them into something positive and having a hard time.

My particular weaknesses are:

1. I'm not proactive if it doesn't interest me.

2. If I get a task and boss says "whenever you get to it" it usually takes me a while to get to it. I'm always on top of my deadlines, but if it's just "whenever" it goes to the absolute bottom of my to do list.

3. I hate doing repetitive tasks, primarily filing on a regular basis - I like to wait until I get a lot files and do it all at once. There are a few other tasks in my job that are like this. For example I have to enter deposits into the database - I like to do it all at the end of the month - they want me to do it at least once a week and I hate it.

Are there any "good" weaknesses that managers seem to like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I'm working on my resume and getting some interview questions together, you never know. So last night I was working on weaknesses and I'm a bit stumped. I'm not saying I don't have any, I do - but I'm trying to spin them into something positive and having a hard time.

2. If I get a task and boss says "whenever you get to it" it usually takes me a while to get to it. I'm always on top of my deadlines, but if it's just "whenever" it goes to the absolute bottom of my to do list.

3. I hate doing repetitive tasks, primarily filing on a regular basis - I like to wait until I get a lot files and do it all at once. There are a few other tasks in my job that are like this. For example I have to enter deposits into the database - I like to do it all at the end of the month - they want me to do it at least once a week and I hate it.

This is how I would rephrase these to seem positive:

You are passionate about your goals and have a strong focus on your key deliverables

You have strong time management techniques realizing prioritization of balancing multiple tasks is an essential skill for any team

You have a strong desire for efficiency, and work to reduce net throughput time to maximize value added time given to the company.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
First off I am not a fan of this question as it doesn't necessarily have to be job related. Sure they expect you to respond to something about the job, but then again they are assuming you know enough about the job to know what would distinguish a successful employee from one that is not successful, which is a stretch in my opinion.

I typically am honest with them, but then follow it up with ways that I am dealing with the weakness. I also make sure it is only a minor part of the job.

For example, I typically use organization skills. But if I were applying for a job as an admin assistant, or a secretary I would never use that one. I am a consultant, so while it is important, being customer centered, being adaptable, having technical expertise is much more important. I also then talk about how I have started filing all of my notes on microsoft one note under tabs, reviewing my notes at the end of every day, adding very detailed notes on my outlook calendar, etc. So while it is a weakness it is something I am working to improve.

My advice is make it job specific, but make it a minor part of the job, and follow up with specific behaviors you are using to address the weakness.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Be honest but not too relevant, that's all I can say.

Do not be one of those chumps who says something like you work too hard or that type of BS answer. Nobody's perfect, and they know that.. so it's best to be upfront and then focus on how you're trying to change it or what you learned from it.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Not having an answer is generally a bigger sin than your answer. For me, as an interviewer, it is an exercise in critical thinking and self reflection.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM

455 posts, read 898,811 times
Just do the exact opposite of this guy, and you will be fine:

Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
Just do the exact opposite of this guy, and you will be fine:

I hope that video is a joke. If not, its kinda scary.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM

455 posts, read 898,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I hope that video is a joke. If not, its kinda scary.
Not sure, but I think it'd be unreasonable to believe that people like that don't actually exist and try to get jobs.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post

I think that 'spin it into something positive' is where people get mixed up - and it turns into the "I work too hard" or "I'm too punctual" type of BS answers. What you have is fine - its a "flaw" that you have identified. The key here is what you are doing to correct that and improve (if applicable).

Just my .02.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Don't spin it.

1. "If it doesn't interest me, I'm not proactive but I get it done." (Candid, and answers the next question the response would elicit.)

2. "I'm always on top of my deadlines, but if it's just "whenever" it goes to the absolute bottom of my to do list." (Just reality here)

3. "I like to wait until I get a lot files and do repetitive tasks all at once." (Generally this is more efficient and accurate. It can be a negative or plus, but shows a possibility of someone who understands systems on a core level.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment