Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
What about the person in snow country that's from Florida who has never driven in the snow?

Not the boss's problem. If you live in an area where it snows and you are not able to drive in snow, you need to find another way to get to work. It's that simple.

What about the person who can't afford a car that's safer in the snow?

Also not the boss's problem. I live in an area where there is a lot of traffic. If I am not comfortable driving in this traffic, or if my car is not capable, then I need to find a job somewhere that I am able to get to work.

Does everyone in snow country have to drive a Jeep?

Nope. I was in a 4 door sedan, driving in what was an accumulated 4 inches and it continued to snow. This car was not even 4 wheel drive. And if you think you need a Jeep to drive in 5-9 inches of snow...well, that's a whole new issue.

It's not caused by the bosses deciding to open, it's caused by them PUNISHING workers who do not feel safe driving on the road in inclement weather. If you want to fire someone because they won't show up in a blizzard, you're a bad boss.

How in the world did 5-9 inches become a blizzard?
Oh please.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
I live in Tennessee and there was a 7 inch snow in 2003. It took my school bus 4 hours to get home, about a 20 mile trip that normally took under an hour. 6 inches of snow is hard no matter where you are and no one should be on the unemployment roll because they have a hard time to drive in that. What about young people? A 20 year old may have little experience behind the wheel. I'm 20 and got my license just 7 months ago. It would be ill-advised to have me (or anyone with under a few years experience behind the wheel) out in the snow. I drive a 2008 Honda Accord, by the way.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
There should be a law? Really? Come on.
So if there is a law, how would you word it? Not to even mention how often weather people are wrong. We were supposed to get 6 inches last night. We got none.

As for your "do we all have to drive jeeps" comment. Again, come on. A 1995 FWD Honda with a $200 set of snow tires can do just fine in the snow. You don't need a 4WD SUV.

/edit/
O and when we do get 5 inches in an hour and you can't see the lanes on the freeway... Know what I do? I don't get on the freeway. I I take city streets home and go slowly. So easy. Takes longer, but so what?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There should be a law? Really? Come on.
So if there is a law, how would you word it? Not to even mention how often weather people are wrong. We were supposed to get 6 inches last night. We got none.

As for your "do we all have to drive jeeps" comment. Again, come on. A 1995 FWD Honda with a $200 set of snow tires can do just fine in the snow. You don't need a 4WD SUV.
I think there should be a law forbidding termination of employment due to non-showing up in snow. Weather records would be used, and absences from work on days in which the nearest weather station recorded snowfall would not be recorded. So if a boss said person X was absent for 8 days between Nov. 1 and Mar. 31, but 7 of those days were on snowy days, he'd only have 1 day out - no cause for termination.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:57 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Quote:
I think there should be a law forbidding termination of employment due to non-showing up in snow. Weather records would be used, and absences from work on days in which the nearest weather station recorded snowfall would not be recorded. So if a boss said person X was absent for 8 days between Nov. 1 and Mar. 31, but 7 of those days were on snowy days, he'd only have 1 day out - no cause for termination.
Never gonna happen. Next, people would be clamoring for a law that says you don't have to work if it's too cold or hot.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
If a state instituted a law like you want wawa, that state would lose a lot of business. Think things through, it will make life less stressful.

Last edited by Momotaro; 02-09-2013 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: less attitude

Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 PM

It would forbid termination. Too cold and too hot? Fine, but it has to be temperatures colder than the average minimum for a year or hotter than the average maximum for a year. If an average year has, say, 0 for a record low and 100 for a record high, then those would be the boundaries. Outages for that would be rare.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
If a state instituted a law like you want wawa, that state would lose a lot of business. Think things through, it will make life less stressful.
If you were from Jersey, you would have kept the attitude in there.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:04 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Quote:
It would forbid termination. Too cold and too hot? Fine, but it has to be temperatures colder than the average minimum for a year or hotter than the average maximum for a year. If an average year has, say, 0 for a record low and 100 for a record high, then those would be the boundaries. Outages for that would be rare.

You would see companies flock to states that sit on the extremes. Arizona, Southern California, Alaska Montana, would see hiring booms. Meanwhile other states would see companies flee to those states or overseas.

Being able to handle extremes is part human and part maturity.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:04 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Quote:
So, in your world, if the low was -1, or if the high was 101, you could call in. Never gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment