Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 AM

273 posts, read 1,061,266 times

Advertisements

And when you graduate, enjoy working that Target or Wal-mart or a McJob!

Too bad these kids don't focus on technical or trade schools where REAL LIFE skills and not pencil pushing will earn you a living wage. Most college degrees today are useless. Computer science jobs are being outsourced (it's not just in the news or a TV show, it's real), and law work is suffering the same fate. The only profession is medical (IF you go full MD) but then again, the acceptance rate into medical school is very low and if you fail, you carry a huge debt for life.

CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,294 times
If you asked me like 6 years ago if everyone should go to college, I would have probably laughed in your face and said "of course." After having graduated and earned a masters, I see exactly what the employment options are for every field. Things are so not what college admissions make them out to be. The competition is FIERCE and for every low-paying job that you are over-qualified for, someone will gladly take it in your place with even higher qualifications. It's kindof an uphill battle for many. And while certain majors are not in demand, is it really fair to have gone to school, to have developed excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills and to have to settle for working as a janitor just to pay off your debt?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
I wouldn't say college is useless. I got an accounting degree and I'm doing alright.

I would say it is useless if you major in something useless like history, political science, english, art history, philosophy, or a couple that the slackers really seem to gravitate towards- communications, marketing.

Get a degree in any of these and you should do alright in the long run (might have to take a crappy job or two to get started in this economy): accounting, engineering, computer science, information systems, actuarial science.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I wouldn't say college is useless. I got an accounting degree and I'm doing alright.

I would say it is useless if you major in something useless like history, political science, english, art history, philosophy, or a couple that the slackers really seem to gravitate towards- communications, marketing.

Get a degree in any of these and you should do alright in the long run (might have to take a crappy job or two to get started in this economy): accounting, engineering, computer science, information systems, actuarial science.
Those are the 2 most common degrees for people who move on to law school. So, while I agree that they are not as "focused" as other degrees, they have their relevance. I majored in English prior to my MBA (wanted something that would be more enjoyable as I minored in business and did not want to spend 6-7 years in nothing but business courses) and what I discovered was the reading load and the constant writing of the major left me in better shape to handle Masters level coursework than a lot of the people in my classes who had more "useful" degrees. So, as with everything, the choice of major should be one that is with a deliberate goal in mind...

Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post

Too bad these kids don't focus on technical or trade schools where REAL LIFE skills and not pencil pushing will earn you a living wage. Most college degrees today are useless. Computer science jobs are being outsourced (it's not just in the news or a TV show, it's real), and law work is suffering the same fate. The only profession is medical (IF you go full MD) but then again, the acceptance rate into medical school is very low and if you fail, you carry a huge debt for life.

I never graduated from a technical/trade school or college, but I want to go back and manage larger projects. It's not going to happen without a degree. I don't work at Target or Walmart.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Good call. All college graduates now work at Walmart.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post

It's a shame that you weren't able to do more than work at Walmart and McDonald.

Believe it or not most computer jobs are not outsourced. Very few are.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:51 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
I am a college graduate who, in 10 years has had little problem finding jobs. My undergrad major was English. I worked in auditing for a while, got my masters in accounting and my CPA license, and have worked in forensic accounting and fraud investigations for a while now. My English degree never really hampered me...I just always assumed I could do any job I wanted and applied to positions with that attitude. I have been told I interview well (with a lot of confidence) and maybe why that's why.

It boils down to this....I don't think you would find a lot of people with college degrees who would want to turn them back in (obviously there are exceptions). However, I think you would find many high school graduates who would really like a college degree.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Good call. All college graduates now work at Walmart.
LOL. I've never worked at Walmart, but have always worked in the field I received my degree in.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM

247 posts, read 751,346 times
I think this is more for people who freshly graduated since the 2008 recession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment