Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:22 AM

27 posts, read 25,893 times

Advertisements

I have a question. I am a digital marketing manager at an eCommerce company. I work closely with the IT team and recently the chief technology officer wants me to guide or tell him what I did during the day. Its OK to tell him but is my first time having someone seat next to me for the last 30min of work everyday showing him what I did. Is this normal on a work environment ? Is the first time for me, I want to speak with HR about it but I feel it could be bad for me since the CTO has a friendly relationship with the CEO .

Last edited by jasonc06; 06-10-2015 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,236,560 times
Do not go to HR. It sounds like they just want to evaluate what you do.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:17 AM

560 posts, read 755,796 times
based upon what you wrote its tough to say. they could just want to know what you do and he is trying to learn. or they might think you do nothing all day and want to make sure you are actually working.

does it feel to you like they are testing you?

either way you cant really go to HR. what would you say? they want to know what i do day to day?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 AM

4,278 posts, read 8,204,057 times
Do you think you are in some type of trouble or having issues at work?

If not, I'd think its a good thing.. If they thought you were doing a crap job, they would find a different way to get dirt on you.

They might be curious on your processes, if you are doing things that someone else should be doing, or, just using that time to "get to know you".

Going to HR is not advised.. and if I was the person, and you went to HR about it, I would think you have something you are trying to hide.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:55 AM

27 posts, read 25,893 times
Thanks for the responses. I just find it strange to have someone seat next to you every single day and go thru all the things you did during the day. On my other positions we had a project management software and we had updates base on our deadlines.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:56 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,599,737 times
Clearly this guy does not understand your job. Take the time to try to understand his. He is trying to understand in his his mind how your job adds value to the company. Don't get defensive - sell him. Show him how your pay is paltry compared to the tremendous value your work brings to the bottom line.

Who knows, if he thinks you are doing yeoman's work you might find yourself with open positions.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:21 AM

29,543 posts, read 22,854,366 times
It is apparent someone lost the memo.

I repeat for the millionth time.

HR is NOT your friend.

I repeat, HR is NOT your friend.

Say after me...

Old 06-10-2015, 07:34 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,174,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It is apparent someone lost the memo.

I repeat for the millionth time.

HR is NOT your friend.

I repeat, HR is NOT your friend.

Say after me...
Exactly. Companies have HR for the purpose of legally covering their asses.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:37 AM

163 posts, read 248,619 times
Oh my that is a tough call. Here is what I think being a person who is in IT.

They might just want to know how you are using a particular system that they support. Is there a database or an in house program that they are evaluating?

Maybe your work computer was been involved in some incident or setting off flags in their network scanning program.

Or, unlikely, but a thought, they are trying to replace you and IT is the best department to learn what you do.

It might be worth asking IT why they are interested in what you do. They might not give you an honest answer, but it never hurts.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 AM

6,132 posts, read 8,017,678 times
The CTO is sitting ( not "seating") next to you all day?

How big is this company? How long has this been going on? Is he doing it with others too?

Do you have a manager or supervisor? Ask him or her what is going on, but definitely do not go to HR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment