Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,054 times

Advertisements

I'm a non-traditional business student at county college right outside NYC. If I take a classes this summer, I'll graduate next fall. The move after that, is to apply to the Rutgers business schools.

Here's the thing, I'm leaning towards finance because of the prestige I believe the positions have.. and for no other reason. I know this sounds naive, but it is the honest truth. I'm not one much for math, I'm more of a word person. I DO have entrepreneurial spirit and always have though. I look at my attempt at trying to enter the corporate world as a means to an end. I don't want to stay forever, but while I'm relatively young (25) I want to look back and say I had my go at it, as a young professional. Afterwards, I just want to use the money save and credit earned to start my own business.

Maybe i'll end up specializing in management or marketing who knows.

But, assuming I choose finance I'd like to know what the best route is. Here's what I've come up with, but I want and need even better suggestions if there are any.

a)land a mail-room position at one of the big firms in nyc. Mainly to network, get an idea of what the normal day is for a financial analyst, advisor, and broker so I know where I'd like to be headed.

b)shoot for an unpaid internship at one of the firms. Although, I believe those positions are secured for juniors/seniors that are the cream of the crop from the business schools they recruit from. Rutgers being one of them.

c)Work as a customer rep at a commercial bank and wait until Rutgers sets me up for an Internship for the firm

My goal is not only to get my foot in the door while my hands are somewhat tied at the county college, but more importantly, to see if these positions are something I would be able to do day-in and day-out.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
Much depends on the professional track you have in mind.

My daughter has a BA in Finance from a very good west coast university. She became a CPA and is now a CFO.

A CPA needs to 'get their ticket punched' in public accounting, few want to practice long in a firm that does a lot of auditing of publicly traded companies so think of that experience as running a gauntlet. Keep in mind that those audits familiarize you with particular industries so choose your firm carefully. For example, if high tech is your interest choose an office in San Jose. If you eventually want to work in the oil industry choose a Texas office.

Do a lot of research if you are considering that, find out who audits the firms you might want to work for. Attempt to get an internship at that firm. After a successful internship and graduation often you can be picked up by another office.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:03 PM

456 posts, read 1,171,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbloodpapi View Post
I'm a non-traditional business student at county college right outside NYC. If I take a classes this summer, I'll graduate next fall. The move after that, is to apply to the Rutgers business schools.

Here's the thing, I'm leaning towards finance because of the prestige I believe the positions have.. and for no other reason. I know this sounds naive, but it is the honest truth. I'm not one much for math, I'm more of a word person. I DO have entrepreneurial spirit and always have though. I look at my attempt at trying to enter the corporate world as a means to an end. I don't want to stay forever, but while I'm relatively young (25) I want to look back and say I had my go at it, as a young professional. Afterwards, I just want to use the money save and credit earned to start my own business.

Maybe i'll end up specializing in management or marketing who knows.

But, assuming I choose finance I'd like to know what the best route is. Here's what I've come up with, but I want and need even better suggestions if there are any.

a)land a mail-room position at one of the big firms in nyc. Mainly to network, get an idea of what the normal day is for a financial analyst, advisor, and broker so I know where I'd like to be headed.

b)shoot for an unpaid internship at one of the firms. Although, I believe those positions are secured for juniors/seniors that are the cream of the crop from the business schools they recruit from. Rutgers being one of them.

c)Work as a customer rep at a commercial bank and wait until Rutgers sets me up for an Internship for the firm

My goal is not only to get my foot in the door while my hands are somewhat tied at the county college, but more importantly, to see if these positions are something I would be able to do day-in and day-out.

Thanks in advance.
You should probably ask that question on for example wallstreetoasis. You're not going to get any good info here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment