Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 02:55 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,829,678 times

Advertisements

I have never applied for a job listed on craigslist but I may be interested in doing so now. The position I'm interested in does not list the company and I would like to know the name before I send my resume. So I was thinking of emailing the post to ask if they can give me the information. If I do this should I send with this question information about myself and some explanation of why I am interested in the position? To others who have applied to a job on craigslist do you set up a different email account to use? I'm concerned of getting a virus or some other odd issue happening if the post was not legit. Thank you for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 AM

75 posts, read 315,124 times
There's no possible way to get a virus by *sending* an email. Just like any other job portal, you'll probably never hear from them and chances are you won't get anything to download. If you get a word or pdf doc, just open and edit it in Google Docs and you'll be fine.

Craigslist's scam-job to legit-job ratio is far more favorable than Monster, Indeed, etc. Used to be really bad until they started charging.

Don't ask for information. Those companies are going to get 300+ resumes sent to them in 24 hours. They don't have time to answer maybes. You want the job, go for it. They don't post their names because they don't want phone calls. Some do post their names and web addresses because they're trying to get free SEO or advertising. It is unlikely you'll ever hear a word from these guys because they've "been looking" for many years.

The same things you see that scream "scam" on Monster are the same things you'll see on CL. In fact, many companies post on both.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,723 times
I was hesitant to apply to CL postings but I've gotten over it. If you're hesitant, just delete your address and phone number from your resume and apply as you would to any other blind ad.

If you get a reply that you think is a scam, google part of the letter or google CL scams -- there are a LOT of web sites that expose CL scams so that you won't get caught up in them.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
I would just reply but leave out the full home address off the resume. You can use city/state. I would still include the phone number for them to contact you.

One of my first job offers during the recession was from craigslist. After the company called for an interview, I checked their website.

Last edited by move4ward; 03-17-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I agree with the others--leave out your address and home phone--use your cell instead. If you get a response asking for your social security number or other info like that before they'll do an interview, delete it.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
You can sign up for a free google voice number so all calls will be dialed to that number and forwarded to your regular number. If it is a scam you can just block the calls.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have never applied for a job listed on craigslist but I may be interested in doing so now. The position I'm interested in does not list the company and I would like to know the name before I send my resume. So I was thinking of emailing the post to ask if they can give me the information. If I do this should I send with this question information about myself and some explanation of why I am interested in the position? To others who have applied to a job on craigslist do you set up a different email account to use? I'm concerned of getting a virus or some other odd issue happening if the post was not legit. Thank you for any advice.
I used my same email account but just send them a career summary with no address or phone number.

Then I would get a response back and see that it was actually a real company and they would ask for a full resume

Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 PM

38 posts, read 87,703 times
I've gotten responses on craigslist. Just avoid the ones that at the bottom of the ad have a line across. Scroll down the ad to the bottom and you will see another job post which has nothing to do with the job your interested in. Go back to the top of the ad and flag these. They are scams and are just trying to collect you information so they can flood your email with ads. It's happened to me. I once received an email about a work from home job cutting and pasting ads to other ads on craigslist, now why would someone need to do that unless there was something up. Everyone is right in what they told you leave out as much personal information as possible. If an ad looks suspicious flag it. You are helping other people avoid getting scamed. You flagging though isn't enough many others have to flag the same ad. There are a buch of people out there that try to keep craigslist clear of the scams. Otherwise it's better than Monster and all the others at least on craigslist the jobs are more local. One other thing NEVER NEVER GO ON AN INTERVIEW ALONE especially when applying for a job at a company you know nothing about. Let the interviewer know someone is waiting for you outside. I did and I still got the job. Use common sence and good luck with your search.

Last edited by law521; 03-17-2013 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 PM

75 posts, read 315,124 times
I've applied to a handful of jobs through other portals. My spam folder is full of bs jobs and ads. I received a ton of calls from questionable companies via those portals as well. It's sick state of affairs no matter what portal you use, as far as I can tell.

The problem with Monster, et.al, is that you can buy resumes. If companies were dead-serious about finding employees, they wouldn't need to buy 300 resumes on a nationwide search: Resume Search Database for Qualified Candidate Resumes | Monster.com

It's always beware of posting, uploading, or sending your resume to any of these job portals. I've received far less "opportunities" from craigslist than I have from Monster.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,829,678 times
Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I have not looked for a job in so many years I am unfamiliar with some issues.
I was not sure if this was in all states but when I was on craigslist some states charge to make a job post. I think all should and I am not sure how this would work but that they have to state a company name. I know there still could be some posts that were not legit but I think it would cut down on the problem.
Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search