Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

If you are applying and not get callback take a look at your resume and your work experience to see how it compares to others that are successful. I re-did my resume and the frequency of call backs has gone way up. Tell your duties is not enough. You need to speak to how you generated more revenue than you cost. You need to fill employment gaps with part time work or volunteering, something that says I am not watching tv all day and collecting UI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Bad idea. Potential employers usually ask for references and if you lie about working someplace, you'll be revealed as dishonest when they check it out. NOT what they are looking for. Better to advertise your reliability, good grades, extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, etc. if you're young and looking for your first job.
Believe me, places like McDonalds will not verify your work history. They don't have the time and basically will take anyone with a pulse. I've lied on applications when I was a teen and got jobs. I would just say I worked at some fast food restaurant for at least six months or something.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
I can't see why...I see more kids her age employed at those jobs than ones my age

Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
I have "something to put down" in the work history and these places don't call me back either! It's a combination of: competition-how many apps they get- politics - timing - bias, etc. People still think it's a hop skip and a jump to get hired at these places and it's not. Hasn't been for years.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 AM

15 posts, read 17,984 times
Napy sweetgirl whatever...lie. Best option.

That's what I am going to have to do anyway.

My uncle has a fast food businesses i can sa1y i worked at. I would rather do general labor jobs or factory work than retail and fast food but temp agencies'round here do NOT help people without exact work experience-volunteer dont count to these people. Need 6 months experience to pack boxes..Going to have to lie for that too.
Based on experience of my sisters you need to lie. Lie. Lie.

Lol my fault anyway for not having a job sooner...

So yeal put that work exp on that app and lie.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetea3 View Post

My uncle has a fast food businesses i can sa1y i worked at. I would rather do general labor jobs or factory work than retail and fast food but temp agencies'round here do NOT help people without exact work experience-volunteer dont count to these people. Need 6 months experience to pack boxes..Going to have to lie for that too.

Yep. This is why I keep saying volunteer work is overrated. Unless it is field relevant or something very impressive (volunteer firefighter, Peace Corps etc) it isn't going to help get a job.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetea3 View Post

Lying will get you fired, once your supervisors find out. This is terrible advice.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Lying will get you fired, once your supervisors find out. This is terrible advice.
McDonalds or Walmart won't even know. They have thousands of applications their not calling references. I don't even remember putting references down when I used to try to work at these places.

You will get on-site training so they won't even know.

If you have no job experience it is an option. At least now you won't have to lie for your next job.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
McDonalds or Walmart won't even know. They have thousands of applications their not calling references. I don't even remember putting references down when I used to try to work at these places.

You will get on-site training so they won't even know.

If you have no job experience it is an option. At least now you won't have to lie for your next job.
And if you do get caught you have a termination and a negative reference on your record which is far worse than not having work experience.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Yep. This is why I keep saying volunteer work is overrated. Unless it is field relevant or something very impressive (volunteer firefighter, Peace Corps etc) it isn't going to help get a job.

I have to agree, I get so sick of someone encouraging someone to volunteer to close some resume gap.

Unless it's something directly in your field no need to bother with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment