Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

I ve tried the internet and there is nothing and I mean nothing on them on the internet , and that is sending up red flags for me . Now i found this job through a head hunter and Im wondering how well they know of this business and I know the head hunter does not do anything in regards to checking the reputation of the company , they are located out of state and they dont have a regional office is that a red flag ??? I mean I dont want the feds at my door or get involved in something illegal or scammers either ....I just dont know what to do about this nor do I know how to go about checking on them like I said I have been looking on the internet and there is nothing absoloutly nothing on them ....I need help and thanks in advance for any help or suggestions .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
If there is NOTHING on the internet that is a very big flag. Try searching their name along with the word complaints.

I work for 2 companies both based out of state with no regional offices so that in itself is not a red flag to me. I have actually never met in person, on of my bosses.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I don't know what kind of business it is but you can check with the Better Business Bureau to see if anyone has filed any complaints against them.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I would definitely see it as a red flag. Have you mentioned your concerns to the headhunter? Perhaps they operate under one name but are incorporated under another?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Can you contact the state's department that handles business registrations and licenses? See if they have any record of these people.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM

well so far I have found out that a business does not need a business license to operate in the city of houston or the state of texas ....they have 8 complaints against them by people not sure what kind of complaints because I cant read them . I just dont know what to do at this point ...im trying to do the research I normally do and there are roadblocks everywhere ... good to know though so I wont move to tx that you dont have to have a business license I mean . anyways if any of you have any more ideas please let me know cause Im at my wits end now as to what to do . thanks

Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Can you contact the state's department that handles business registrations and licenses? See if they have any record of these people.
Good idea and if you are math oriented try and get their financial or sales report, if they are public.

Also look at industry reports from consultants like Deloitte. For example, I have applied at some large telco companies and reports from consulting firms say this a declining industry as wireless gets better.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Good idea and if you are math oriented try and get their financial or sales report, if they are public.

Also look at industry reports from consultants like Deloitte. For example, I have applied at some large telco companies and reports from consulting firms say this a declining industry as wireless gets better.
im sorry I dont quite understand how this would help me ...I cannot get any info from the city or state they are located in ....everyone directs me somewhere else and Im getting pissed off cause Im getting the run around in other words no one know who handles jack crap in the state of texas or the city of houston so I dont know what to do now .

Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im sorry I dont quite understand how this would help me ...I cannot get any info from the city or state they are located in ....everyone directs me somewhere else and Im getting pissed off cause Im getting the run around in other words no one know who handles jack crap in the state of texas or the city of houston so I dont know what to do now .
Well since we have an LLC for my wife's biz I would start by calling the Sec of State or whomever handles corporations and incoporations and find out if they are in good standing, check with BBB to see if they have complaints, check glassdoor.com and see what others say.

If a co. is public they have to report a quarterly and yearly financial statement. If you know how to read one you can glean the health of the company.

If you can't find anything at all after doing all this then I would tell them I am a professional and I like to research companies I do biz with can you direct me. If they say no I would run.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Well since we have an LLC for my wife's biz I would start by calling the Sec of State or whomever handles corporations and incoporations and find out if they are in good standing, check with BBB to see if they have complaints, check glassdoor.com and see what others say.

If a co. is public they have to report a quarterly and yearly financial statement. If you know how to read one you can glean the health of the company.

If you can't find anything at all after doing all this then I would tell them I am a professional and I like to research companies I do biz with can you direct me. If they say no I would run.
thank you very much and yes they are a private company i did manage to find that out .I will do just this and thank you very much .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search