Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times

Advertisements

Something has got to give at some point. We can all debate what's going to happen but we know something will happen eventually. The million dollar question is when. Date and time. There's alot of statistics that show how almost half the population of this country is on some form of the dole. Half. Unemployment numbers are rigged for political agendas. Who knows how many people out there are not counted in the system. Basically this country is like a broken record that's skipping, but so far nobody has noticed it and put the tone arm back in it's place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Well, I suggest that people who are about to be unemployed for longer than 6 mos put something on their resume to appear like they've been working. For example, say you've been doing maintenance, lawn work, painting, etc., so it looks like you've been busy doing SOMETHING.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yes, it's sad, indeed :/

This will never change unless our goverment steps in and essentially forces companies to hire those who have been out of work the longest. Corporate "rights" be dammed, the rights of people to be able to have a job should come FIRST, and it's high time that all of us put some intense pressure on our elected representatives to start implementing some changes to take care of this problem, as it sure isn't going away on its own.
That's ridiculous. Companies should hire the best qualified applicant.

There's a reason that some long term unemployed remain unemployed. They aren't the best qualified and never will be, but they refuse to accept that and figure out their next step or take a job they are qualified for that they think they are "above."

Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, I suggest that people who are about to be unemployed for longer than 6 mos put something on their resume to appear like they've been working. For example, say you've been doing maintenance, lawn work, painting, etc., so it looks like you've been busy doing SOMETHING.
Better yet--actually be doing that! I have a friend who after three months of looking for work started her own small business running errands, babysitting, pet sitting, typing, etc. It gave her current references, and showed initiative.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Better yet--actually be doing that! I have a friend who after three months of looking for work started her own small business running errands, babysitting, pet sitting, typing, etc. It gave her current references, and showed initiative.
I do that, and it has not helped me get an interview!!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I do that, and it has not helped me get an interview!!
Do you actually have a name for the business and ahve it on your resume?

Also have you made sure to tell every single person you encounter that you are looking for a job as a "insert job title here" and would appreciate it if they'd keep you in mind?

Seriously, you never know. I was in a restaurant in the Northeast a few years back and the bartender and I were chatting, it turns out her sister had just graduated with a degree in hospitality and was looking for a job. I happened to know of an opening at a luxury hotel in California because a friend is a manager there. I gave the bartender my card, told her to have her sister email me her resume, and forwarded it to my friend. She got the job. Random? Very. But that's how networking works.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Do you actually have a name for the business and ahve it on your resume?

Also have you made sure to tell every single person you encounter that you are looking for a job as a "insert job title here" and would appreciate it if they'd keep you in mind?

Seriously, you never know. I was in a restaurant in the Northeast a few years back and the bartender and I were chatting, it turns out her sister had just graduated with a degree in hospitality and was looking for a job. I happened to know of an opening at a luxury hotel in California because a friend is a manager there. I gave the bartender my card, told her to have her sister email me her resume, and forwarded it to my friend. She got the job. Random? Very. But that's how networking works.
I do tell people that I am looking, I do network. I apply for every job that I feel that I am qualified for and can do. The jobs I pick up are word of mouth type things-it's not a formal business. I have had my resume reviewed several times. The last interview I had I was questioned about my "stanima" which is code for "I think you're too old". I am in my mid forties which may be a strike against me. So I just keep trying; there are too many people, not enough jobs and it's depressing, but I keep trying.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I do tell people that I am looking, I do network. I apply for every job that I feel that I am qualified for and can do. The jobs I pick up are word of mouth type things-it's not a formal business. I have had my resume reviewed several times. The last interview I had I was questioned about my "stanima" which is code for "I think you're too old". I am in my mid forties which may be a strike against me. So I just keep trying; there are too many people, not enough jobs and it's depressing, but I keep trying.
How old do you look? Are you in good shape? Is your hair styled in a contemporary look? Do you wear light makeup to enhance your features? Do you dress in a youthful yet age appropriate style? What is on your resume that indicated your age? I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to get an indication of why they would say something like that.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
How old do you look? Are you in good shape? Is your hair styled in a contemporary look? Do you wear light makeup to enhance your features? Do you dress in a youthful yet age appropriate style? What is on your resume that indicated your age? I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to get an indication of why they would say something like that.
Yes, I am in good shape, I wear makeup, I keep my hair up to date and colored (no gray). My resume does not indicate my age (I took my college grad date off). I dress age appropriate. I think the interviewer was looking for young, trendy people to hire. (this was at Saks for a holiday job).

Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
I am late forties and not one of my THREE part time jobs have been concerned in the slightest about my "stamina". They are happier that they have someone with pride and a work ethic then some younger, more fit slacker.

They are happy to contact me at the last minute to cover for others, I have over 40 hours of work a week, plus drive times, plus a home business. I don't wear makeup daily. I will probably start wearing it for my latest PT job as the "look" is important to selling sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. Mostly its the look of competence, knowledge and conviction that you know what you are doing that attracts employers and sales.

Try to keep up, kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment