Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:53 PM

129 posts, read 530,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1027 View Post
I did apply for a transfer to a new position I feel I would really like and I am hoping to hear the verdict either this Tuesday or the following at the latest. If I do not get this new position, I think I will be quitting and relocating to a new city on the west coast to move in with an old college roommate until I can get on my feet and get a place of my own. Find odd jobs, and move around quite a bit while I am still young.
I logged on and saw a new reputation point for this thread, and thought I would update it for those curious. I removed most of my original post, and will focus on the above. I DID end up getting the position that I applied for on the west coast! Honestly the best thing for me right now, it is a great position for the same company, directly relevant to my recent (2010) college degree. Something I have thought would be awesome to have as a career, I have landed. So that's good. I did realize that relocating and this new position are only a temporary fix for me, as I still plan on traveling full time within the next few years. But for now, it's working out great.

Thanks to all of those who posted in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:21 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
was doing elevator/escalator maintenance for Dillards in the Dallas/Fort Worth. to oil the escalator chains, you turn off the escalator, remove metal plate at bottom of escalator on floor, climb down into the pit, manually turn on the escalator in the down direction. the chain is so wide you can only oil it one side at a time. while running, oil left side of chain and then the right side. then move to the other chain. while oiling the chain, i slipped. the step edge caught my pants leg. thankfully the pants ripped otherwise i would have been pulled under and killed. i quit that day.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:50 AM

113 posts, read 212,200 times
Thanks for the update. Most people would rather let a job kill them before they quit. Waiting to find a new job before quitting is no different than waiting for a heart attack to kill you. The sheep mentality is strong on this forum.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,087 times
Quote:
When did you quit your job because you couldn't take it anymore?
When I had my next job lined up and guaranteed. Not before.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 AM

315 posts, read 563,836 times
Quote:
I logged on and saw a new reputation point for this thread, and thought I would update it for those curious. I removed most of my original post, and will focus on the above. I DID end up getting the position that I applied for on the west coast! Honestly the best thing for me right now, it is a great position for the same company, directly relevant to my recent (2010) college degree. Something I have thought would be awesome to have as a career, I have landed. So that's good. I did realize that relocating and this new position are only a temporary fix for me, as I still plan on traveling full time within the next few years. But for now, it's working out great.

Thanks to all of those who posted in this thread.
I am happy for you, even if it's only a temporary fix, you'll hopefully be way happier!! Congratulations.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:14 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,823 times
Feeling the same way OP. My area sucks for jobs so I am praying for something out of state or at least out of the city. I work in a $10 an hour crap hole of a job where I don't get breaks and lunches. I actually started feeling sick one day because I needed water so bad. I have considered alcohol to cope but couldn't find the cheap booze at the store.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:30 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,163 times
I was in a situation where I worked for these two bosses who were absolutely terrible. Every Sunday, I would have panic attacks about going back to work there. I had helped to train this girl that my bosses absolutely loved while they were angry with me for training someone else, having them come to me with questions because these bosses never made themselves available for questions. I had the job because it was more data entry than analysis, but the management team felt like it was rocket surgery or something! I had to make a spreadsheet for markets for a training meeting and they had us compile different market variance discrepancies so we could flag them in our system. I pulled together records that were billed under one market, but were being shown as paid in another market.... and I was pulled into a meeting by the director saying it "troubled her" that there were two markets listed. She said, "Oh." when I proved I was correct, but for some reason.... I had always heard rumors that these bosses would lie about associates when they went on internal promotion interviews. I heard them say that I was stupid to someone that I interviewed with in our company... SMH!! Once I overheard them (at that company our managers did not have offices, but rather had cubicles), I figured that was enough for me. Overhearing that was the absolute best thing that could have happened, because initially I was angry, because I couldn't get anywhere within the company.... but that made me realize that I had to look outside of the company to get somewhere! I overheard them in February and by May I had a job offer! Giving them a two weeks' notice was the best feeling in the world. There is absolutely nothing in the world like having a job that you hate.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,865 times
Well, in my case, it was a matter of reaching a threshold of over-qualification + drudgery + dead ended-ness, plus the fact that I had money put away and could afford to go for a while with a reduced or nonexistent income. I was working for the "engineering" department of a small company. I worked for the "engineers." The ironic part of this was that I have a BS in mechanical engineering (plus a master's in something else,) and they all have high school diplomas. I got along great with everyone, but I hated to tell people what I did for a living, and every day that I woke up I wondered why I bothered going to college. In order to part on good terms with my employer, I offered to interview, hire, and train my replacement. That went relatively well, but now I'm not really sure what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment