Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Coloradans may be able to legally smoke pot now — but lighting up a joint, even off the clock, can still get you fired.
Although Centennial State voters approved a measure last fall to legalize marijuana use, the Colorado Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that employees can still be fired for testing positive for the drug -- even if they never show up to work impaired.

Colorado court rules smoking pot off the job can still get you fired - U.S. News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
Does that mean you can smoke pot on the job and still get hired?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
They're still working out the kinks, since it's a brand new law... so I imagine that will change over the next few years, or at least I hope so! Although, here in California we've had legal medical marijuana for 17 years, and decriminalized recreational use for just about a year - and they're still arguing in courts over whether or not to consider pot in pre-employment testing. A few bills (to exempt marijuana) have been introduced, but I don't think anything has gone through yet. Ridiculous!!

Luckily it's never been an issue in my line of work, as I simply cannot get on board with the whole "it's legal now, but we're still gonna penalize you" concept. How is that even remotely fair, when hardly anyone tests for alcohol? An alcohol hangover actually CAN impair your ability to work, whereas a "pot hangover" is extremely rare and hardly ever impairing. The double-standards in this country are just too much, and I think most of us know why (it's all about $$$$, and at one time racism).

Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Coloradans may be able to legally smoke pot now —
but lighting up a joint, even off the clock, can still get you fired.
The actually pertinent section:
A divided panel of judges decided that because marijuana use is illegal under federal law,
employees are not protected from being terminated for using it.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The actually pertinent section:
A divided panel of judges decided that because marijuana use is illegal under federal law,
employees are not protected from being terminated for using it.
As it should be... I don't want to be working with potheads who put me at risk of getting run over by a 10,000 lb forklift because they come to work high.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
As it should be... I don't want to be working with potheads who put me at risk of getting run over by a 10,000 lb forklift because they come to work high.
Again, this is about smoking pot OFF the job - as in, not (hopefully) coming to work high. If somebody smokes a joint on Saturday, how does it affect you or anyone else on Monday?

Not to mention, those of us who don't work around machinery/vehicles can't really hurt anyone. What's the worst I could do, drop a book on your foot? LMAO

Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
yeah, and i don't want to work with alcoholheads who come to work drunk.

oh wait, drinking in general and coming to work drunk are two different things, aren't they? hmmmm.

all that being said, workplaces can test for any drug they want, even legal ones (some places do test for nicotine), and fire people for using them. i guess they couldn't fire you for using a drug to treat a medical condition, but they could fire you for using alcohol or nicotine off the job if they wanted to. they can fire you if they don't like the color of your shoes, in every state except montana.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Again, this is about smoking pot OFF the job - as in, not (hopefully) coming to work high. If somebody smokes a joint on Saturday, how does it affect you or anyone else on Monday?

Not to mention, those of us who don't work around machinery/vehicles can't really hurt anyone. What's the worst I could do, drop a book on your foot? LMAO
Doesn't matter.

If employers wanted potheads on their payrolls they wouldn't require drug testing. It's an insurance thing right? Who is to say you won't drop the book on your own foot then fall down the stairs and break your neck?

That's a hazardous work environment giving you the right to sue your employer for millions of dollars right?

Oh wait... you were high.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter.

If employers wanted potheads on their payrolls they wouldn't require drug testing. It's an insurance thing right? Who is to say you won't drop the book on your own foot then fall down the stairs and break your neck?

That's a hazardous work environment giving you the right to sue your employer for millions of dollars right?

Oh wait... you were high.
We don't have stairs at my library, LOL. And none of my current or past employers have required drug testing, so apparently they do not care.

But clearly you STILL don't understand the difference between smoking before/during work, and smoking OFF the job. Sure you aren't the one who's high?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We don't have stairs at my library, LOL. And none of my current or past employers have required drug testing, so apparently they do not care.

But clearly you STILL don't understand the difference between smoking before/during work, and smoking OFF the job. Sure you aren't the one who's high?
I fully understand the difference... I don't smoke pot but I'm tempted to try it so when my employer drug tests me I can say "Yeah but I smoked it Saturday night when I wasn't at work."

Think I'll keep my job?

I'm sure it's a legit response to any further job applications that require drug testing too. "I know I tested positive for THC but I swear I only smoke it on weekends!"

Nobody cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment