Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 AM

303 posts, read 596,141 times

Advertisements

So, I am the low woman on the totem pole in the IT Department. I also have something of a literary gift in comparison to my colleagues.

Whenever we are rolling out a new feature or item, my boss has me to write up the e-mail introducing it as well as the associated documentation; however, when he sends the e-mail out, he sticks his name specifically on the mail as though he were the one to write it.

Should this be something I ought to concern myself with? Being honest with myself, I don't think it's that I want the limelight - but it smacks of a lack of integrity on behalf of my boss.

Am I reading too much into it? Is something like this typical?

Last edited by TheMillersWife; 06-21-2013 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Editied for spelling and clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,405,154 times
It's typical of really poor managers to not give credit where credit is due and take it for themselves.

I'd make sure that your contributions are recognized in your performance reviews, etc.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,063,231 times
That would **** me off a little. There are certain people who only get ahead by stabbing everyone else in the back, and that sounds like a sign of how he is.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njclay2004 View Post
we are rolling out a new feature or item,

he sticks his name specifically on the mail as though he were the one to write it.
Maybe he thinks he is taking credit for the "new feature or item" (which may be true) and the email text is just part of the the packaging.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:30 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,165,844 times
Sounds like a lame manager. An email like that should be made to look like it was sent from the IT dept instead of his email.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,691,239 times
yeah, i sometimes send out things that i wrote on behalf of my bosses, but the e-mail comes from "unit leadership", not one particular person.

then again, when i worked for a small nonprofit, i wrote the annual fundraising letter (and some other things, like requests to vendors for donations for our gala, etc) but it was signed by the executive director. i didn't have a problem with that - she's the face of the organization and potential donors know who she is, not me.

really, this is not very uncommon. and i don't think you need to be too concerned, as long as you are getting proper recognition from your boss for doing it, and you can claim ownership of it internally when it comes to transfers, raises, and promotions. if the boss is actually actively pretending he wrote this stuff beyond the formality of sending it out, i'd be worried.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,506,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
It's typical of really poor managers to not give credit where credit is due and take it for themselves.

I'd make sure that your contributions are recognized in your performance reviews, etc.
Good advice.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 PM

5,872 posts, read 11,949,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post

Agree. I've had bosses do that to me in the past and as long as *they* recognized and rewarded my efforts, I didn't get too bent out of shape over it. It's the ones that took credit for my work and didn't reward me that I got away from. At some point though, you have to assess whether or not it's hurting your career.

On another note, one boss that was really bad about taking credit for my work got busted when he failed to produce a presentation for his boss one day and left early. His boss called me in and asked if I could put something together. He was really pleased with the result and I think at that point he knew who was doing the actual work!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,983,650 times
Try this, one time make a few errors and see if he picks up. If he doesn't, you know hes straight up copy and pasting it. If he notices, depending on the relationship you can say, "ah sorry. I thought you might want to change it up a bit since you sign it yourself." Something along those lines.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:04 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,218,679 times
You wrote an email for your boss? Big deal. You're hardly inventing a new energy source and he's now taking credit for it. Remember, your only job is to make your boss look good. The better you make him look, the more secure your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment