Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 01:20 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times

Advertisements

My Immediate Supervisor wrote to me the I am here to help you part. I've been with this call center for 18 months.

I am here to help you Anonymous Scared Employee 100% don’t feel that I or Shelley are out to get you.

The long letter below is my response to it. To help it make sense, MN are bad mistake notices, NS, are not satisfied notices (customer).

While I expect comments like we are here to help you and want to see you succeed, the following are examples that make me feel that is almost certainly not true. Even if it’s just my perception, well, if I showed this to outsiders, most of them would either agree with me, or, if nothing else, find all of this weird. Customers aren’t the only ones who are allowed to have perceptions.

The 1st 6 months of my employment here were more or less uneventful. However, I don’t think I meshed with Maya that well at all. I had some concerns about her, based on feedback from my own eyes and other agents, before I was changed (I still don’t understand why) from Sue’s team to her team. I asked to be taken off Maya’s team. While I was glad that the company did that, I thought getting a verbal written warning from Maya, on the day that I changed, back to Sue, was done out of spite and vengefulness. If the warning came before or after I changed, that may have been looked at differently by me or not as suspiciously. I still don’t understand, why Maya, is still a supervisor.

Refusing to give me a raise on teamwork, based on factors that were purely subjective and not objective at all. Me going to Doug at the time, with concerns, instead of Shelley and using that as reasoning (even though, not the only one), to deny a raise, was very petty, especially considering that Doug was one of the trainers in my class and I know him, even though not well at all, but at least I’ve met and conversed with him. If I scored a 3.0 for teamwork and then 2.5 (you need to have 3.0 in 2 out of 3 to get a raise, even though 2.5 is still meeting expectations) for the other scores, I could see that as being justified. I did what I had to do with Maya to protect my job at the time. While we work towards a common call, to say that TL’s are on the same team with Consultants, is not realistic when it comes right down to it. If we were really a team, well, when meetings are had to talk about what to do with employees, why are we (as consultants) not included in those?

Me having 5 different supervisors since I’ve been here, doesn’t really help me overall. At least one other person, who has been here almost as long as I have, has only had 1 during that time. That probably helped her get a raise, when that is a factor, in my opinion, as to why I wasn’t given one.

Also, the repeated correspondence about not fixing a problem when my callers couldn’t hear me. I said as early as 2 falls ago, this is going to be an issue, since someone is going to take this the wrong way, when I have to raise my voice for callers to hear me. I’ve been in meeting twice, over 2 calls that led to NS’s,since I’ve been here, thanks to this happening. It finally wasn’t officially taken care of until late March. When I tried to emphasize how critical that was, to Shelley, Sue and Lisa, that’s been met with, basically, a “it’s not our problem” attitude. Granted, this issue has been fixed, but to still give me an MN and still count NS’s over it, is just beyond wrong. It’s like sending someone to play a contact sport, without proper protection. While there have been a few other NS’s (not several), those are 2 (MN’s and DSAT’s) that don’t happen, if I have proper working equipment.

Sending me back to Maya as a supervisor, when Sue or even Thorne, might have been available, when Lisa was on leave , was just basically like throwing me to the wolves. I was extremely concerned about that. When I asked for a call to listen to just to make sure that I didn’t make an error on a call (which I didn’t), Maria, instead of just saying “sure, it’s on its way”, intimidated me and asked “Why?”. I didn’t see the need for that. That didn’t need to happen either, since, not one person, ever informed me, I had to find this out on my own, that we can actually listen to all of our calls in monitoring system, less than 2 weeks old, on our own. Lisa’s behavior towards me has been noticeably different since she’s come back and even though there’s no way to find out officially, I just hope I learn, at some point, especially if I am terminated, that she was told in either March or April, to “crack the whip” with me. Shelley said something on the late March meeting that made me wonder about that and I don’t see, how I did such a 180 in my call manners, to have my scores drop from the 90’s from the last 6 months (I have had a few monit scores in the 90’s under Sue, shortly before I changed in October, again) to as low as the 30’s? In addition, the Lisa’s tone on the comments on a few of them were almost nasty and accusatory without any real evidence (Instead of asking in a form of a ?, she said “you looked like you were working on something else”). Furthermore, that 30 percentile score, should have been already addressed in the MN and Lisa went out of her way to listen to it and give a low score. Charging someone twice for the same specific issue, only under a different name, is not cool at all.

When I received the NS in March, it still stuck, in spite of the fact, that it would have only been two calls, which they said it should have only been and that’s why they made it stick. Well, two factors that Sue and Shelley didn’t seem to care about that broke the call. I either had the choice of calling back the caller or having her hold for up to 10 minutes. She chose the call back. Also, the limo service, that was in question, couldn’t have been booked online anyway. That was addressed in the NS about me not knowing how to use the system. In that instance, there was no system to use. Stephanie’s point about that I should have asked is there anything else, limo, car, hotel as well, before I called the airline was unfair and unrealistic, since most agents, take things step by step. It’s a lot easier to focus that way and at the time, I was only thinking about the Southwest part of it. Once I knew, after that was done, there was a limo involved, I gladly took care of it. Seems like another attempt to make a NS stick and stick it to someone, instead of truly using it as a learning tool.

I will try to talk with a little more of a smile in my voice instead of a grin, generally speaking, though, I didn’t feel I was consistently aloof or didn't care anyway. However, I don’t like what I perceive to be dishonesty and thinking that I can easily be fooled. Saying stuff like, “I hardly ever hear from you during the day” and scoring that against me in a review, when we work at home behind our computers and it’s very different from the actual office (I could see her point if I was in the office and just sat in the corner, but that’s not the case), is an example of playing someone for a fool.

Finally, I thought that discipline as far as written actions, is wiped off after 90 days. The No Ticket in October (that Greg even thought the customer didn’t do everything right, even if I could have done better) and the 3/28 meeting to go over calls, were coaching sessions. So with that in mind, I had a clean record, if you go by documentation (NS’s, unless the rules have changed I wasn’t told that in my last one on one with Lisa in April, aren’t supposed to count, MN’s normally trigger corrective action). Shelley used the Verbal Warning from my file, almost 10 months ago to show a progressive step. Giving me a final warning, even if it’s just for 6 weeks, is way too harsh. Someone dear to me, who is a manager herself, feels the same way.

I just hope for the best, my intentions are good towards the customers, no matter how I may feel about how I’ve been treated by mid level management. I just hope it’s not too late. If it is, I just hope someone would let me know.

A scared employee.

Feedback is appreciated, I just want to make sure I'm not totally paranoid. I don't think this can be tracked down and even if it is, that's just more handwriting on the wall, that it's not meant to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 01:39 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Did you send this response? For your sake, I hope not. It's one thing to address legitimate concerns, but this sounds snarky and unprofessional. You come across as somebody who doesn't take responsibility for yourself and are quick to assign blame elsewhere. You're not the boss - when you are, you can make the decisions. IMO.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
My Immediate Supervisor wrote to me the I am here to help you part.
I have no idea what "I'm here to help you part" means.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:59 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Assuming they are not out to get you to begin with, I'd say that letter is the final nail in your coffin.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
As a manager, I wouldn't even know what to make of that letter - other than using as proof that you're lacking any kind of accountability or ability to work well with others. You really need to take a step back and look at the coaching it appears you've received to date and take it to heart.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:47 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Sorry, OP, I can't make heads or tails out of your rambled posting/letter.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:00 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I'm sorry, I tried to read all of the way through but I just couldn't.

First of all, I couldn't get past the over use of commas. That right there made me think less of your letter and you. People like to say things like that don't matter...they do...especially in a "business" letter.

Second, the way you chose to word your sentences...I'm sorry, but you do not come off very eloquent at all. For example, "we all work for the common call..." No, you work towards the same goal.

Putting the horrific grammatical mistakes aside, I wondered as I started to skim towards the bottom, how could you possibly think that this can't get back to you? You really think this is an anonymous letter that they won't be able to figure out who wrote it?

This is totally going to bite you in the backside.

Did you send this already? Please say you did not send this already. If you did send this, I highly suggest that you begin looking for a new job immediately. You will lose this job if you sent that.

If you did not send it already, delete it. You vented, you got things out, now try again. Delete that one. Try again. Delete that one. Try again. You are not being professional in any way, shape or form in this letter.

How you approach a "we are here to help you" letter and not getting a raise is by asking what you can do to improve yourself not what wrongs you think Supervisors have done to you.

It does not matter, to them, if you feel you have been wronged. It doesn't matter to them what anyone outside of that work place, "feels". Tell it to your friends over a drink on Friday night. Don't go throwing out names left and right like you did in this letter. My God you threw so many people under the bus in that letter.

You ask what you can do...take the responsibility, stop trying to shift it on to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment