Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:42 PM

51 posts, read 126,454 times

Advertisements

I am currently a nanny for two children, 5 and 2. The 5 year old is at school all day but i am with her in the morning for an hr and a half give her breakfast, get her ready and put her on the bus. I have the 2 yr old the rest of the day and we go off to the park, lib classes, beach etc. I feed him lunch, do naptime, unload the dishwasher and do the kids laundry. I do try and help out with whatever i can tho. I take care of the dog, take out the trash, bring in the pails and whatever else around the house i can do. I have over 10 years of experience working with children, this is my first private nanny job tho. I make $425 a week and just recently asked for gas money. sometimes depending on where and when we go ill make $15 a week for gas but then other weeks $12. So now i have been making $440 a week, not including the gas, it comes out to not even $11 an hr. Now sometimes i think that what i make a week is great but then other days when i think about what i get an hr i think its a joke. The job is coming to an end because she is a teacher but i am planning working for her in the fall and i have all intentions of asking for more. I really feel i should be making atleast $500/a week but even then it only comes out to 12.50 an hr. I know people in the same situation that is making 15/hr which for 40 hrs is 600/a week. Am i asking for too much and am i making too little now?

Also she is a teacher so i work a teacher schedule and am planning on asking to get paid for holidays because right now i dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
Paid holidays might be pushing it with a raise involved. Bumping to 12.50/hr is very reasonable.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM

51 posts, read 126,454 times
yeah i agree but im not planning on every holiday. I was going to ask for thanksgiving day, christmas day and any unexpected days off like if she is sick or one of the kids is sick and she stays home because that is a day that i was not expected to not get paid for. i feel like that is pretty fair.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
You should get figures for Market Rate of nannies in your city/state. And compare base on number of years experience that you have. What is your expected market rate, based on where you live and based on your experience as well as the number of children you care for (and your duties). Bring these details when you discuss with your employer.

Ask for the increase AND the 3 holidays. Be prepared to allow her to think about it.She might come back with a counter offer (lower rate, few holidays).

You need to decide if you will refuse the job if she doesn't increase the pay. If you resign, will you easily find another job for the rate you expect? If you will get another job for your rate, then go ahead and push for more money at this job. If you cannot get more money, you move on to another job that pays market rate, or closer to it.

If you don't speak up for fair pay (no matter what your job), then you might be under paid for a long time.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaab21 View Post
I am currently a nanny for two children, 5 and 2. The 5 year old is at school all day but i am with her in the morning for an hr and a half give her breakfast, get her ready and put her on the bus. I have the 2 yr old the rest of the day and we go off to the park, lib classes, beach etc. I feed him lunch, do naptime, unload the dishwasher and do the kids laundry. I do try and help out with whatever i can tho. I take care of the dog, take out the trash, bring in the pails and whatever else around the house i can do. I have over 10 years of experience working with children, this is my first private nanny job tho. I make $425 a week and just recently asked for gas money. sometimes depending on where and when we go ill make $15 a week for gas but then other weeks $12. So now i have been making $440 a week, not including the gas, it comes out to not even $11 an hr. Now sometimes i think that what i make a week is great but then other days when i think about what i get an hr i think its a joke. The job is coming to an end because she is a teacher but i am planning working for her in the fall and i have all intentions of asking for more. I really feel i should be making atleast $500/a week but even then it only comes out to 12.50 an hr. I know people in the same situation that is making 15/hr which for 40 hrs is 600/a week. Am i asking for too much and am i making too little now?

Also she is a teacher so i work a teacher schedule and am planning on asking to get paid for holidays because right now i dont.
Consider that she's now paying you about 2000 a month. How much do you imagine a teacher makes? When I taught full time I made about 3500 per month after taxes and I was working in an area where teachers are paid way more than average. Also, she could put her kids in daycare for less than that. You can ask for a raise, but you should first make sure that you are being competitive in your pricing and remember that you may simply become unaffordable.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 AM

219 posts, read 431,065 times
Tough call. You need to be able to make a living, but as stated above, the services you provide can probably be provided elsewhere for less. You are not working for a company, but a family who has to make a living themselves and can probably only do so much. My opinion, if you need much more to make a living, and I do not question you do, you may need to consider a career change.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 16,961 times
I understand what you all are saying but at the same time it's not my problem or concern to what she makes. Right now I make $1700/a month not $2000 that would be $500 a week. There are many friends I have that make $15 an hr so she definitely is getting of easy with me. Also I just figured out that I get paid for 40 hrs but I actually work 41 hrs. 7-315 5 days a week, I have only been getting laid for 40 hrs the past 6 months

Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker45 View Post
I understand what you all are saying but at the same time it's not my problem or concern to what she makes. Right now I make $1700/a month not $2000 that would be $500 a week. There are many friends I have that make $15 an hr so she definitely is getting of easy with me. Also I just figured out that I get paid for 40 hrs but I actually work 41 hrs. 7-315 5 days a week, I have only been getting laid for 40 hrs the past 6 months
Yikes!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:

^^ Is this post from the Original Poster???? It's coming from a different User Name.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 PM

219 posts, read 431,065 times
Quote:
I understand what you all are saying but at the same time it's not my problem or concern to what she makes.
Assuming you are the OP, if you are wanting a raise, what she makes, and therefore can afford, should absolutely be of a concern to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment