Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 PM

231 posts, read 294,670 times

Advertisements

A new acquaintance of mine interns for a company that would be a good fit for me. She brought an open position to my attention and I'm now applying for it. Can I use her as a reference in my cover letter? or should I leave it alone since she's an intern?

Something along the lines of this; "My friend, who is interning for the environmental management team, came across the open GIS Analyst position and brought it to my attention"...I know this is poorly worded but I'll polish it later.

Should I use her name or stick with "friend" and then bring up her name if asked? Not mention her at all? I just met her.

Of course I'd have to ask her first but I think she'd have no problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM

119 posts, read 410,401 times
If it's a person you just met, she shouldn't be a reference. A reference is someone who can vouch for your moral, professional and intellectual abilities, and hopefully put a good enough word about you to get the interviewer consider. I would bring her up during an interview as a referrer, or even in your cover letter as such (by name, of course), but I wouldn't list her as a referral unless you've worked with her or have known her for many years and she's in a position to be a referral. People who put friends as referral, without connection to professional/work-related achievements are not worth calling unless they are all you have. HR knows you may just coach them into what to say, or they can make stuff up. Not accurate at all. We've also had enough "friends" backstab their would-be referee for no reason we could tell (old crush? angry girlfriend? angry friend of ex girlfriend? they want the job themselves? who knows)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search