Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 PM

337 posts, read 897,001 times

Advertisements

It seems my boss can do nothing but see all the negatives in my work. One of my prissy coworkers recently ratted me out on an extremely minuscule incident & I feel nothing has been the same since. I may just be paranoid, but we recently had a team meeting and every negative thing my boss said seemed like it was directed at me. And, quite frankly, the job sucks. They ask far too much and pay too little. 99% of my coworkers are nice and some of the people I get to meet are great, but I feel like I'm kind of just chugging along for the paycheck at this point. I'm a freshman in college and this job is 100% irrelevant to my major. Any tips? Think I'm overreacting? Think I should go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 PM

341 posts, read 675,160 times
Sounds like your mind is made up.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
It seems my boss can do nothing but see all the negatives in my work. One of my prissy coworkers recently ratted me out on an extremely minuscule incident & I feel nothing has been the same since. I may just be paranoid, but we recently had a team meeting and every negative thing my boss said seemed like it was directed at me. And, quite frankly, the job sucks. They ask far too much and pay too little. 99% of my coworkers are nice and some of the people I get to meet are great, but I feel like I'm kind of just chugging along for the paycheck at this point. I'm a freshman in college and this job is 100% irrelevant to my major. Any tips? Think I'm overreacting? Think I should go?
Don't quit. This is not the last time you will work with difficult people. Use this as a learning lab.

Consider the following.

1. He who gets emotional, loses. Keep your composure at all times.
2. The boss is the boss. He or she is not going to change. You will need to change your style, work habits and attitude to accommodate him/her.
3. The mature way to handle this is to ask for a meeting and say "I've noticed that you have been exercising more than the usual degree of oversight over the past couple of weeks. I want to do a good job. I'd like to know if you have specific concerns about my work. If you do, I would like to know them so that I can make a diligent effort to improve.
4. Listen and don't make excuses.
5. Thank him/her - SINCERELY - and ask for a follow up meeting in two weeks to get feedback on progress.
6. It's all about the work. Not about you. Not about your co-workers. Regardless of workplace, this is the golden rule.

These situations only improve from the inside out. You have got to change inside so that your work is perceived to have improved on the outside.

Best wishes to you.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 AM

337 posts, read 897,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
Sounds like your mind is made up.
For the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Don't quit. This is not the last time you will work with difficult people. Use this as a learning lab.

Consider the following.

1. He who gets emotional, loses. Keep your composure at all times.
2. The boss is the boss. He or she is not going to change. You will need to change your style, work habits and attitude to accommodate him/her.
3. The mature way to handle this is to ask for a meeting and say "I've noticed that you have been exercising more than the usual degree of oversight over the past couple of weeks. I want to do a good job. I'd like to know if you have specific concerns about my work. If you do, I would like to know them so that I can make a diligent effort to improve.
4. Listen and don't make excuses.
5. Thank him/her - SINCERELY - and ask for a follow up meeting in two weeks to get feedback on progress.
6. It's all about the work. Not about you. Not about your co-workers. Regardless of workplace, this is the golden rule.

These situations only improve from the inside out. You have got to change inside so that your work is perceived to have improved on the outside.

Best wishes to you.
1) Always do.
2) That doesn't fly with me, so I guess I'm destined to be my own boss.
3) I've done that. She always tells me I'm doing an excellent job, and I need to improve on such and such. Which I do.
4) Never did make excuses. That's why I never really challenged any of the sh*t they accused me of doing. Partly because I don't really care.
6) I work, and I do my job well. It's to the point where they're pushing me to my limit asking me to do all this extra stuff. They're basically asking for unreal expectations

Thank you

Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
For the most part.

1) Always do.
3) I've done that. She always tells me I'm doing an excellent job, and I need to improve on such and such. Which I do.
4) Never did make excuses. That's why I never really challenged any of the sh*t they accused me of doing. Partly because I don't really care.
6) I work, and I do my job well. It's to the point where they're pushing me to my limit asking me to do all this extra stuff. They're basically asking for unreal expectations

Thank you
You're welcome. At the least, this will provide the "experience" component that is so sought after on new grad resumes!

Please consider staying long enough to be able to articulate some outcome for which you can claim ownership. That would be a timeless accomplishment. You're only a freshman: if you can get into the habit of mind of visualizing outcomes, and how to make them happen, you are way ahead of the game and it will be an advantage to you for life. AND it will provide fodder for those 'behavioral' questions that always pop up: "Describe a situation where you had to work with a difficult individual and how you resolved it". You can't fake those responses, and you really do grow from groping your way though them.

If you think this is bad, wait until you run your own business and have to deal with customers who want your work for nothing, lol! Or try to collect from customers for whom you already did the work; or who won't come up with payment for your last invoice after the work is delivered; and with whom you always have to remember that your payment and referrals are contingent on the relationship you have built with them.

Of course, at that point, you can start thinking about which customers are worth keeping.

Best wishes to you!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 AM

341 posts, read 675,160 times
Is this a retail job?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
It's all about the money. If you making it rain(bringing in more cash than everybody else), they won't care about anything else.

Honestly, just quit. You don't like the job and you are not good at it. It's not being singled out. Mistakes are an issue in any work environment.

Productivity is highly related to a person's feelings about a job.

I stayed too long in a job that I hated. When I left, I went from $12/hr to $50k/yr. I liked my new job and it showed in my performance. I got merit bonuses on top of the salary. After 3 years, I left $75k yr. Bringing in the cash for the dept/company is easier, when you like your job.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Are you the average age of a freshman in college? If so, then you probably do not have all that much actual job experience, and certainly don't have much education, and based on the language and terminology in your post, you're not particularly mature (and that's OK, if you're a young college student - no one would EXPECT you to have much experience, education, or maturity at this point), so just what level of pay are you expecting? Just curious.

No, I don't necessarily think you should go. I think you should take this opportunity to learn how to work well with a few difficult people. If you've already talked with your boss, and your boss has told you you're doing a great job - and you're implementing, with a good attitude, the other suggestions your boss recommended, then that should be sufficient. You said yourself that you enjoy working with "99 percent" of your coworkers - or rather, that they're nice to you. Trust me when I say that in the workplace, that's above average.

The grass always seems greener on the other side, but sometimes a person can change jobs (or relationships, or towns, whatever) and come to slowly realize that the problem is still with them - because they're part of the problem.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Any specific examples please?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Cool How old are you?

Quote:
You're a freshman in college, what, 19-20 years old? You probably don't have much experience, and any job looks good on a resume. But if that's your attitude, you might as well quit, before you're fired. Do you have any idea how immature and arrogant that sounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment