Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,465 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else see Frontline's followup? They've been following two formerly middleclass families, one black, one white, in Milwaukee for the past few decades. Both families had factory jobs that paid $14/hour in the 90s. Factories closed, jobs lost, etc. Fascinating series. Here's the link:

FRONTLINE - Documentary films and thought-provoking journalism | PBS

Interesting to see their lives against the political grandstanding of past administrations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Did anyone else see Frontline's followup? They've been following two formerly middleclass families, one black, one white, in Milwaukee for the past few decades. Both families had factory jobs that paid $14/hour in the 90s. Factories closed, jobs lost, etc. Fascinating series. Here's the link:

FRONTLINE - Documentary films and thought-provoking journalism | PBS

Interesting to see their lives against the political grandstanding of past administrations.
Wow! Great feature! I would NEVER have come across this - thank you sincerely for posting it.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 PM

29,830 posts, read 24,922,073 times
There is also an active discussion on this in the economics subforum.

Frontline show on two American middle class families

As I mentioned in the thread above, I saw this play out in my neighborhood countless times growing up. Manufacturing was the backbone of the economy in Michigan, mostly due to the automobile industry. Ever since the big three started using strategies to reduce their need for labor, it started hitting the local market, and hard. Michigan got hit by the great recession the hardest, and they were the first to really feel it. Around 2006, we were already in recession. Guys who used to make +$20/hr in the shops and factories were applying for $11/hr jobs. Many lost their homes. Many left those professions entirely. I bought a lot of tools off a guy who sold his machine shop to start his own lawn care company. Said the profit margins were higher, the overhead was much lighter and the work was far less stress. Can't blame him.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,081 times
Excellent documentary. I just watched the whole thing from your link. I've been blessed to have a high income and a spouse with excellent benefits, but Americans as a whole are just one paycheck, illness, or downsizing from these same problems.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Similar stories told last October by Global Post:

America The Gutted - GlobalPost | GlobalPost

Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times
I watched some of the documentary online as I had seen the thread in the other economics subforum here on C-D.

As I watched these people and felt really sorry for them, I had thought to myself, timing and job opportunities did not work out for them as it had for some others in the baby boom age bracket (and older). Sometimes we are in the wrong place at the wrong time and have no idea while all this change is going on until many years later. (job loss).

I know a lot of people like this who had the good paying manufacturing jobs and now, such decent paying jobs are long gone. Some people cannot easily switch jobs or careers and bounce back while they are middle-aged and tied with many family responsibilities, just many variables to think about.

I have some good friends in Michigan whose families (parents mostly) have gone through very similar trials and tribulations. Many of their old jobs there were tied into the auto industry and lost their jobs over time. Some never bounced back to find a decent-paying career unless they left the area completely to work elsewhere.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I watched some of the documentary online as I had seen the thread in the other economics subforum here on C-D.

As I watched these people and felt really sorry for them, I had thought to myself, timing and job opportunities did not work out for them as it had for some others in the baby boom age bracket (and older). Sometimes we are in the wrong place at the wrong time and have no idea while all this change is going on until many years later. (job loss).

I know a lot of people like this who had the good paying manufacturing jobs and now, such decent paying jobs are long gone. Some people cannot easily switch jobs or careers and bounce back while they are middle-aged and tied with many family responsibilities, just many variables to think about.

I have some good friends in Michigan whose families (parents mostly) have gone through very similar trials and tribulations. Many of their old jobs there were tied into the auto industry and lost their jobs over time. Some never bounced back to find a decent-paying career unless they left the area completely to work elsewhere.
Those well-paying manufacturing jobs ARE long gone and the ramifications of that impact us ALL, even if we weren't employed in that sector. Anytime the middle class take a huge hit like that - we all suffer to some extent. Those jobs - won't be returning either. They are gone for good.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
I would like to see a documentary like this about the white collar unemployed or underemployed masses of former over-50 tech workers living in suburbia.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I kinda see the relatively brief period from the end of WWII to the period of the 70's energy crisis as the rare time when folks with generic factory jobs could make a decent living... The vast majority of human existence never afforded folks with no special skills, no drive / iniative a comfortable living.

From what I have seen the college educated technically skilled folks, who have contributed to succesful firms and not been too timid about leaving faltering employers have done quite well.

Don't misunderstand, I certsinly would not wish the fate of the families in the Frontline upon anyone, but the reality of having to be highly skilled and still take risks is part of what everyone should learn early in life.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:41 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Recently, I went on a binge watching several of these documentaries about the full time working poor, some of whom are homeless, and some of whom have college degrees.

I found that really the only thing that separates their situation and mine (or me being in their situation if bad luck struck) is that they have children ... usually multiple children, often several.

Being able to scrape by yourself with a very low paying job, although not a glamorous life is doable. But with children, it becomes a real life nightmare.

It really needs to be emphasized that if you are making $15/hr or less (just a random #), you should seriously reconsider having children, the same way you would reconsider financing a nice new car. If you never make more than that, then don't have kids.

I realize that's a rather harsh statement to advise someone not to have children based on their income, but I think, a sensible one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment