Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Unfortunately, here in the US people are not encouraged to do what they love, but rather what's popular, or what makes the most money; that's why there are so many disgruntled/unhappy/depressed people here!
Yes.. this is a problem. Can't blame them though... College is so expensive and the accumulation of debt is so life impacting that you can no longer pursue your interest unless it makes financial sense from an investment point of view (or have rich parents).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:04 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
IMO...

Education and training past the standard public school system is not a scam.

The system formed around the US college system is a scam.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
(and hopefully not be a burden on society)

And some become exactly that due to the unreasonable cost. In the US we spend 60% of all the budget on the military and 6% on education! No words left to be said there.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:51 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I just want to point out that H1B visa holders aka 'guest workers' do not have this burden. $5k max on college education. Definitely, someone is robbing you Americans
I dont know where you get this figure.
MOST workers with H1B working permit usually obtain education in the US; and international students paid three times more than out of state students. Moreover H1B is usually granted to candidates with STEM background.

I know because I was one of them. Due to my parents job, we were moving from one country to another. And long story short, my parents had to shell out $6,000 for tuition each semester - not include room and board back then. Granted that some of them got scholarship from their home country. But usually these fellows with scholarships have obligations to go back to their home country once they are done to "pay back" what the government or company pay them to go to college.

Now going back to the topic:
Yes I think the cost of going to a university is a scam.
The fact that you have a degree does not guarantee that you have a job. The more I see it is that the companies use it as a filter especially when hiring people as I witness in the HR dept in my company. To put it roughly: if there are two candidates for job X in which both don't have the qualifications, the HR will pick the one with the unrelated-to-the-job college degree than the one with only GED.
One of the HR personnel told me bluntly "The guy with college degree has proven to persevere the situation by going to college for 4 years and try to pay off the humongous college debt he / she has".

Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
"EDUCATION" should NEVER/EVER put someone in debt! EVER! Because it is the one, most important thing anyone should have before anything else.
I disagree. Strongly disagree. Education, certainly beyond high school, is expensive and does need to motivate people not to slack off. But the debt should not be unrepayable, so it should be small. However, there also is no need for people to study something that gives them a very small chance in the job market and then plunk down some 80K for a private school.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
See too many that have graduated with mountains of debt only to be offered jobs at or near minimum wage here in California.
It is not uncommon for someone to start at the bottom when they get their first job out of school. Many of us did that, and then worked our way up. My first job out of school was for a salary of about $20k per year. it took several years to work my way up into higher paid positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It seems to be a scam since so many are sold over the years that "go to college and get a good job"
No one has ever said that a college degree is an automatic key to a "good job". A college education provides one with a set of tools and skills that can give them more opportunities in the working world that they may not have had otherwise. That is it. No more, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
College helps in some ways but the issue is many people in academia and the political world want to use it as job training but it is not close to job training that the companies want. That is the problem. People wanted college to be something that it's not and guess what, it never changed to meet the new issues.
True. But I would argue that a lot of people don't go out of their way to find those opportunities. My career is in research (for a Pharma company). I came into this field by way of my reseach experience in grad school and as an undergrad in my Psych programs. My first practical, clinical research "job" was working on a clinical study for a professor and a few of her grad students when I was an undergrad. I stopped by to ask about joining her team. She said her two work-study slots were full (tuition stipend in exchange for working with her). I told her I would do the work for no compensation if she let me join her team, just so I could get the experience. The skills I learned during those two years formed a basis for what became my entire career. And that is because when I wasn't being handed something I felt I needed while in college, I went out and searched for it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Don't confuse the school not making a profit with the prof not making good $$$ because the do. Hell my Soc prof in 93 told me he was getting 85k on tenure, tell me that's not a profitable venue, it is.
Was that his actual salary from the university? Or was it a combination of salary, honorariums, money from research projects he obtained funding for and other sources?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I dont know where you get this figure.
MOST workers with H1B working permit usually obtain education in the US; and international students paid three times more than out of state students. Moreover H1B is usually granted to candidates with STEM background.

I know because I was one of them. Due to my parents job, we were moving from one country to another. And long story short, my parents had to shell out $6,000 for tuition each semester - not include room and board back then. Granted that some of them got scholarship from their home country. But usually these fellows with scholarships have obligations to go back to their home country once they are done to "pay back" what the government or company pay them to go to college.
LOL come on. YOU are the H1B dependent maybe, I think an H4. You are one of those
I was an H1B and my degree and qualifications I got from asia was deemed equivalent to a US counterpart by a law firm and INS. I never done any studying in the US

Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
It is not a "SCAM" persay, but it is definitely a very bad business decision depending. It is probably more of a crap shoot than investing in stocks.

I went into college with the hopes of being an engineer. That did not work out, and I will not go over why, so I went with my contingency plan. I chose this contingency plan thinking there is high turnover, most people probably dont want to deal with what is in store in this field, and it was esoteric enough that I thought most people did not even know it existed.

Well, in my school, which is fairly large, something called Penn State, there apparently were many many engineering rejects. And we all thought exactly alike, and chose the same contingency plan. And apparently after meeting more people, and talking to more people, I learn that most of the B1G, B12, and all the schools out in the rural areas have many engineering rejects who all think the same as I do.

So guess that means there is not going to be, or were not going to be enough jobs to go around.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Tober- I don't know other than 85k is what he told me. The reason he told me was I was asking him what his job was like to see if it interested me. I believe he had been teaching at that campus for about 10 years?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Exactly WHERE in Europe is this? There is NOT one Europe. Never has been, never will be. Each country has it own system.
Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Germany is similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment