Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM

556 posts, read 946,763 times

Advertisements

I'm really amazed I haven't read this yet, but why isn't your son the one posting here and asking these questions? It's one thing to go to your parents for advice and a friendly ear, I do that all the time, but your son absolutely has to be able to search for and find answers on his own. I've read too many horror stories about parents going to interviews with their kids, or worse, confronting potential employers who chose not to hire their kids. Do not be that parent. Gentle advice is good, but you shouldn't hold his hand through this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
He always wanted to do public government job
"public government" isn't a job or a career; it's an employer. What does he want to do for the government?

Collect taxes? collect garbage? become President? police officer? social worker?

Every government job has different qualifications.

Quote:
Urban/City planner is also very interesting.
It certainly is an interesting job. So is an architect or psychiatrist. But he's not qualified for any with just a Bachelors in Sociology. A City/ Urban Planner will need an advanced degree, or many specific urban planning courses as part of an undergrad curriculum.

Might I ask...have you ever been employed? If so, how did you get your first job. Are you passing your own guidance along? He really needs to decide what he wants to do before figuring out how to get the job.

It's akin to asking "how do I cook dinner?" when you haven't decided what you are going to have.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
As noted above, no one is getting a job as a city planner with a bach degree in soc. If you want to go into that field look at degrees in urban planning and an MPA or something like that.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

It certainly is an interesting job. So is an architect
Wow. Two fields with some of the worst job prospects right now. But things are cyclical.

Planning is certainly better than architecture, but you're not getting any kind of decent job or even internship for that matter right now without a Masters.

As far as the OP, personally I would suggest going back to school for some sort of professional degree, such as Library Science, Law, or MSW.

But, according to City Data, he'd be a sucker for doing so when he could be making 50-100% more than that with just a high school degree.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
STEM degrees seem to have lower unemployment - medical, tech, engineering and science. We wouldn't have to import so many if citizens would get useful degrees - or give earning some thought before blowing money on a worthless degree.

I am curious why your son had a major in business accounting, when he did not like math.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:35 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
"public government" isn't a job or a career; it's an employer. What does he want to do for the government?

Collect taxes? collect garbage? become President? police officer? social worker?

Every government job has different qualifications.

It certainly is an interesting job. So is an architect or psychiatrist. But he's not qualified for any with just a Bachelors in Sociology. A City/ Urban Planner will need an advanced degree, or many specific urban planning courses as part of an undergrad curriculum.

Might I ask...have you ever been employed? If so, how did you get your first job. Are you passing your own guidance along? He really needs to decide what he wants to do before figuring out how to get the job.

It's akin to asking "how do I cook dinner?" when you haven't decided what you are going to have.
Social worker.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Social worker.
Social Workers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Go back and ask your son two questions:
1. What do you want to do?
2. What are you capable of doing?

Go from there. :-)

Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Go back and ask your son two questions:
1. What do you want to do?
2. What are you capable of doing?

Go from there. :-)
I already mentioned. He is open for various type of professional job that requires sociology degree, plus he has Business Essential Certificate along with it as extra.

He likes being a counselor (including school counselor), city planner, social/human services, etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
I already mentioned. He is open for various type of professional job that requires sociology degree, plus he has Business Essential Certificate along with it as extra.

He likes being a counselor (including school counselor), city planner, social/human services, etc.
Doesn't answer the question about ability. What is he capable of?

Since he wants to be a counselor, look up some job posting on counselor and see if he has all the required skills. If not, start working on those skills. This will lead him closer to his goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment