Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
First off let me say that I will be graduating college next month in Business. I recently worked for a well known retail chain for almost four years. I had a great team and we all got on very well with each other. It wasn't the best job in the world but it did have its moments. I still gained good skills and experience from it. Last year, early in January, was a very rough time for me, personally, as I lost my dad to cancer. We got through it but it lingered with me over the course of the year. Towards the end of the year I began assessing my situation and I felt I needed a change. I loved my co-workers but I dreaded my job and having to put up with all of the customer hassle. I put up with it as much as I could but I decided to make a tough choice and quit my job.

I have applied in other areas like simple office work and the like. I have gotten some phone screening done so far. The employers ask about my work experience and they ask me 'why did you leave?' It seems leaving raises red flags even though I tell them I wanted to start a career in a different career industry. They don't think that is good enough. Do I reiterate that I left on good terms with the employer? I'm afraid of telling them that I got burnt-out in it.

Please let me know what is an acceptable way to answer this question. If I tell them that I became burnt-out towards the end I don't want them to think that I can't handle pressure or intense workloads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 05:01 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
I worked at a part-time job during the first few years of my undergraduate degree. As I entered the last few semesters and all of my courses were high level classes directly related to my major I wanted to spend extra time on my studies. Now that I have (or am about to) graduate I am interested in pursuing a career in X, preferably with your company.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I worked at a part-time job during the first few years of my undergraduate degree. As I entered the last few semesters and all of my courses were high level classes directly related to my major I wanted to spend extra time on my studies. Now that I have (or am about to) graduate I am interested in pursuing a career in X, preferably with your company.
Thank you fishbrains
Should I also reiterate that I left on great terms with my former company? Or it won't matter too much?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb_14 View Post
Thank you fishbrains
Should I also reiterate that I left on great terms with my former company? Or it won't matter too much?
I wouldn't dwell on how or why you left. It doesn't serve much purpose.

It's always nice to complement your previous employer. This serves a couple of purposes. First, it is a way not to criticize previous employers, which is a terrible thing to do in an interview. Secondly, by praising your previous employer you can claim some credit and skills. Something along the lines of: Previous Employer was a well kniwn retailer. As you would guess, they did many things well, but the one thing that most impressed me was their (insert something here). I really learned a lot about (that thing) and became quite good at it, and I look forward to using these abilities in any future position I take on.

This also has a spinoff benefit. It gives you a positive thing to talk about, allowing you to direct the interview in a way that highlights your skills and benefit you.

You don't want to take over the interview, just take advantage of the conversation to slide in a good reason to hire you.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 PM

587 posts, read 916,110 times
I wonder if you are giving too many details when asked about this. Just come up with a quick answer like 'I was ready for a new challenge,' or 'I wanted to focus 100% of my energy on my last semester.' Maybe close by saying that you still keep in touch and would be happy to give them your manager's contact info for a reference.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
I wonder if you are giving too many details when asked about this. Just come up with a quick answer like 'I was ready for a new challenge,' or 'I wanted to focus 100% of my energy on my last semester.' Maybe close by saying that you still keep in touch and would be happy to give them your manager's contact info for a reference.
This is a good point. You want to balance the information you provide. Not too much, not too little.

Come up with a few brief answers of 1-2 sentences to address specific questions. Don't go too far down a rabbit hole.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:29 PM

154 posts, read 261,668 times
I would say I quit to focus on my studies. It makes sense since you are still in school. Unfortunately employers and hiring managers are skeptical fools who believe if someone quits without another job in hand it's because they were forced out and the employee is inherited ly a bad seed. Just say I quit to focus on my studies so that I could finish the semester strong. Now that I'm graduating im ready to work full time again. They'll applaud you for that,

Old 01-31-2015, 07:22 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Was your mom alive when your dad passed? You could say that you had to take care of your family and concentrate on your studies, so you did not have time to work. What is your degree in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment