Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,362 times

Advertisements

So a few months ago, I was promised a job from a temp agency. They told me over the phone (my first mistake, it's not in writing) that it was 90 days and 300 hours, and then I would get hired by the company. Great! I'm on board. I love my position. I learn everything I can and become a great employee. Well, I watch everyone around me get hired, all the people from the other agency used that attended training with me, etc., but not me or the other people from my staffing agency. I talked to the other people from my agency, and they were like "We are passed our 90 days too, and no one has told us a thing." I talked to HR at the company, and they said it's up to my temp to release me. I emailed HR at the company today to get an update and see if I should do anything from my end, but I haven't heard back. Does anyone have any idea about what's going on? Someone suggested quitting right now, then applying with the other temp agency they use and getting the job right away, because it sounds like the temp I'm using is being difficult, but I'm not sure if that's legal. I just need advice. Thanks.

Last edited by Washingtonguy555; 12-07-2015 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 05:35 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Only 27% of temp to hire jobs turn permanent at all so I would never trust it. If at your place of employment, others from other agencies are being hired but the ones from your agency aren't I'd suspect your agency has really bad terms and high fees for hiring. You need to know what they company's agreement with the agency says but my guess is that they are trying to scalp the company to the point the company is balking at hiring people from that agency.

Most temp to hire agreements agree that after 90 days or so the client can hire the worker with no or very little fee to the agency. You agency probably has very poor terms for that.

Unfortunately, your best option is to seek work elsewhere because the chances of you getting hired at this point is low since you are stuck with the agency and client fighting over you like lions and hyenas over a carcass.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 12-08-2015 at 06:51 AM..

Old 12-08-2015, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,362 times
Oh man! I love the job, and they have invested a lot in me. I'm trained in all the different areas at the company, and I excel. I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:55 AM

I'd ask your boss if the agency is trying to scalp them with high fees. If so I'd let the agency know you are considering seeking employment elsewhere if they don't work out a decent arrangement and then they will end up with nothing. Also consider asking your boss if they could consider putting the agency on a do not use list for future jobs to scare them into compliance.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:43 PM

403 posts, read 472,708 times
I think since you came this far just finish out the probation period so you can get hired by the company. I just told the same thing to a temp at my job who was told she would be hired after six month and it has not happened yet. So she is ready to leave and find another job which makes no sense because wherever she goes it will still be a probationary period. So OP just continue to hang in there so you can get hired after working for 90 days.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Only 27% of temp to hire jobs turn permanent at all so I would never trust it.
There is that 100% meaningless figure .... Giving percentages without knowing the raw numbers is fuzzy math.

On to the topic ...
For an employer to say it is the "Temp agency's fault" you are not being hired is crap, when you come in as a "temp to hire" the time period is contracted... 30-60-90-whatever days after which the company can hire you, let you stay on as a "temp", or "release" you... MOST places will not hire you before this contracted period due to the extra cost involved.

A lot of companies do the Temp Agency Temp-to-Hire deal due to the legal/financial issues involved with hiring/firing people.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:03 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonguy555 View Post
Oh man! I love the job, and they have invested a lot in me. I'm trained in all the different areas at the company, and I excel. I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens.
So just play "stick 'em up."

Tell them they have 5 days to hire you permanently or you will quit.

Then do it.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
I think since you came this far just finish out the probation period so you can get hired by the company. I just told the same thing to a temp at my job who was told she would be hired after six month and it has not happened yet. So she is ready to leave and find another job which makes no sense because wherever she goes it will still be a probationary period. So OP just continue to hang in there so you can get hired after working for 90 days.
There are companies that hire directly with no temp agency involved. I always advise people to only take a temp to hire job as a last resort, consider it just plain temp, and continue job searching with full effort while working the temp job and leave the second someone offers you permanent employment.

Other posters can quibble and equivocate all they like, but the 27% stat which was conducted by Upjohn Institute for Employment Research tells you exactly what is going on. Temp-to-hire is carrot on a stick. I wouldn't trust it worth a darn. There is a reason so many temp jobs are called temp-to-hire and that is to deceive people into accepting these jobs and to work hard under the deception they actually have a chance at a decent full time job when for the most part it is just plain fraud.

I personally don't even answer the phone anymore when temp agencies call. I won't deal with them.

Let temp agencies and their sleaze bag clients scrape the bottom of the barrel for workers.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 PM

850 posts, read 901,828 times
Quote:
There are companies that hire directly with no temp agency involved. I always advise people to only take a temp to hire job as a last resort, consider it just plain temp, and continue job searching with full effort while working the temp job and leave the second someone offers you permanent employment.

Other posters can quibble and equivocate all they like, but the 27% stat which was conducted by Upjohn Institute for Employment Research tells you exactly what is going on. Temp-to-hire is carrot on a stick. I wouldn't trust it worth a darn. There is a reason so many temp jobs are called temp-to-hire and that is to deceive people into accepting these jobs and to work hard under the deception they actually have a chance at a decent full time job when for the most part it is just plain fraud.

I personally don't even answer the phone anymore when temp agencies call. I won't deal with them.

Let temp agencies and their sleaze bag clients scrape the bottom of the barrel for workers.
It's sucks that I can't rep you MSchemist80, but you are 100% correct with this statement. Don't believe one second that your temp job will become permanent. I spent 9 months under a temp agency and they told me I was going to be hired after 6 months and it didn't happen.

I aggressively looked for a full time/permanent chemist job by applying to positions all over the country and landed a chemist job in WV with a very good salary relative to the cost of living and comparable to what the average chemist make according to pay scale.

I can't believe I fell for the temp to hire trap and I am glad I found my own full time chemist job.

Staffing agencies are nothing more than used car salesman selling crap jobs to desperate people. OP, start looking for a permanent job right now because it looks like you won't be hired permanently at this point because if you were it would of happened after your initial probation period was over with that allowed the company to bring you in without penalty.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:45 PM

403 posts, read 472,708 times
Quote:

Unfortunately those temp agencies are needed now since unemployment is only 26 weeks. But I agree if you can find another way to get hired then definitely take that route to avoid dealing with a temp agency.

BTW: that temp that I mentioned in my last previous was hired today after she was about to leave and only stayed because I talked her into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment