Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,201 times

Advertisements

I'm a full-time student with a full academic scholarship at a school that costs a bundle to go to w/o this aid.

I began working again so I could afford to buy subs, coffees, and not feel dread or guilt when I need an oil change or a new hoodie.

Before I began this job I had to cook all of my meals, and its gets a bit time consuming when I try to study all day around classes.

My boss is a real piece of work. When I was hired a month ago I told him I could only work 2-3 night a week (bartender) and he was fine with that. Now he's got me on 4 nights a week and I have finals coming up.

I'm extremely stressed, I'm not eating as much, I have no time to touch base w/friends or family, all I do is study, work, and jog to keep myself from having anxiety issues.

I already told him I can't work Thursdays anymore because I have to leave my 6pm class early to get to work. To compensate, he just scheduled me later so now I have to go to work straight from class without time for a meal or to take my dog out.

I don't know how to approach him with this but all I know is this schedule is not working for me. In this business, you can get fired on the spot for telling a manager you won't be able to come in because of XYZ.

So how should I go about this? Phone call? E-mail? In-person?

Part of my reluctance to leave is that the company that owns this bar owns half of the other bars in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
In person, quietly and concisely and stating all the reasons you've mentioned here. Remind him that your available hours were discussed before you started working there and, although you'd like to help him out, your education has to come first. It's not necessary to go into detail about walking your dog, getting something to eat, etc. Just tell him the simple fact that you agreed to certain hours and days in accordance with your school schedule and you can't offer more than that. Presumably you enjoy working there and, if that's the case, tell him so.

This is a good lesson to learn for the future and if and when there comes a next time that you have to talk to a boss to disagree with something (and that will surely happen) it'll be much easier! Good luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
I agree with STT. It's better to be upfront and while initiating the discussion is difficult, you may find once you have done so that the anticipation was worse than actually having the conversation.
Forget the dog and missing a meal. Never mind mentioning having no time to connect with family and friends. (Your boss seems sympathetic to your Thursday class schedule)
By no means should you approach him in any way other than in person. Be totally honest about your need for the job as it relates to your education. If the boss exercises company policy and fires you on the spot, you'll be out of a job, but you'll also be out of the stress the additional hours are causing you. OTOH, your boss may agree that your original agreement of 2-3 nights a week has been infringed and it will all work out in your favor. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Not much else to be said. STT and gypsy are spot on.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
I have been in your shoes. When I was in HS, I worked at McDonalds. But before I started I was a Fan Club President for a Detroit Tigers' baseball player. I informed the manager, who also scheduled the hours, that whenever the Tigers were in town for a home game on Saturdays, that I could not work. Didn't he always schedule me to work on the home game Saturdays!!!??? I didn't miss a game, but I forget how it got worked out. I never did understand what it was that he didn't understand, and it was very aggravating.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times
Be prepared for him to tell you to leave. Obviously he knows he can have things his way, and if you don't do the job, someone else will.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm a full-time student with a full academic scholarship at a school that costs a bundle to go to w/o this aid.

I began working again so I could afford to buy subs, coffees, and not feel dread or guilt when I need an oil change or a new hoodie.

Before I began this job I had to cook all of my meals, and its gets a bit time consuming when I try to study all day around classes.

My boss is a real piece of work. When I was hired a month ago I told him I could only work 2-3 night a week (bartender) and he was fine with that. Now he's got me on 4 nights a week and I have finals coming up.

I'm extremely stressed, I'm not eating as much, I have no time to touch base w/friends or family, all I do is study, work, and jog to keep myself from having anxiety issues.

I already told him I can't work Thursdays anymore because I have to leave my 6pm class early to get to work. To compensate, he just scheduled me later so now I have to go to work straight from class without time for a meal or to take my dog out.

I don't know how to approach him with this but all I know is this schedule is not working for me. In this business, you can get fired on the spot for telling a manager you won't be able to come in because of XYZ.

So how should I go about this? Phone call? E-mail? In-person?

Part of my reluctance to leave is that the company that owns this bar owns half of the other bars in my area.
If I got fired for something like that, I'd organize a massive boycott campaign to get back at that business. I'd go to the press, write letters, etc, everything I could to make that business look bad.

Let us know how it went if you will.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
If I got fired for something like that, I'd organize a massive boycott campaign to get back at that business. I'd go to the press, write letters, etc, everything I could to make that business look bad.
Just as well that you're a supported person who needs not work for a living but it's just as well. If you took that route in this "work at will" age, the prison term and restitution resulting from your campaign would rather put a dampener on your current lifestyle.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Just as well that you're a supported person who needs not work for a living but it's just as well. If you took that route in this "work at will" age, the prison term and restitution resulting from your campaign would rather put a dampener on your current lifestyle.
Huh? Exercising my right of free speechgets me put into jail now? Good grief, this country really has gone to the dogs, hasn't it?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Huh? Exercising my right of free speechgets me put into jail now? Good grief, this country really has gone to the dogs, hasn't it?
No, silly. Slander and libel. Your constitutional right to free speech has legal limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment