Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 AM

71 posts, read 145,978 times

Advertisements

I recently qualified for NJ unemployment benefits. Here's the question. I have an opportunity to take a job -- what happens if I take this job, and find out that the job is not really for me and I want to quit? I'm afraid that now that I just qualified for the benefits, (didn't even get the first check yet) -- if did take this job and couldn't do it (which I am not 100 percent sure that I can -- but the job is mine if I want it) that I could end up with NOTHING since I had to quit this job and re-apply?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,774,875 times
You seem to be more concerned with sitting home and collecting some checks than you are with going back to work.

Isn't your question the same question anyone would have when taking on a new job? Doesn't everyone ask themselves if they're going to like a new job and what happens if they don't. Maybe the answer is not to quit but to hang onto that job and look for another while employed.

Be thankful you have a job offer, who knows when the next good offer might come along. I also wouldn't go into a job with self defeat written all over me. You noted that you're worried you might not be up to the job. Rather, than that self defeat, convince yourself that you can do the job, get yourself up to speed, learn as quickly as you, see it as an opportunity to expand your work horizons. Don't use doubt as an excuse to stay home and do nothing.

Go to work. It's easier to get a job if employed that it is if unemployed.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
I think you're jumping the gun. If you've been offered the job, someone must think you're qualified. Employers have no incentive to hire and train staff who don't have basic qualifications. Surely you'll improve, too, with time and experience.

Being employed is better than not being employed.

Good luck.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,192,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You seem to be more concerned with sitting home and collecting some checks than you are with going back to work.

Collecting unemployment should be the last option. If you are able and qualified to get a job, take the job and do a favor to yourself and the country.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM

Willowwind. You don't know my situation, and I find that comment to be somewhat abrassive and ignorant, since you do not know all the facts. Yes -- my main concern is collecting a paycheck since I have a family to support! The job that "may" be offered to me is beyond my current knowledge, and therefore, if I take it, I would run the risk of getting fired in short order if they find out that I do not know everything that they want me to know -- and hence, it is a risk since I would then give up the unemployment benefits and essentially, have nothing! My real question here is, if I am on unemployment and get fired within the year of taking this job -- don't I have to re-apply for benefits? And, wouldn't I be rejected because I was fired? I consider it a risk, since I am not really qualified for this job --but, I am willing to gamble -- but this risk of not having ANY income is nagging, because I DO CARE ABOUT PROVIDING SOMETHING FOR MY FAMILY in these bad times! People, please think before you post -- because everyone who is unemployed is not a loafer. And, those coments, like the one by Willowind are hurtful and just plain ignorant.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,774,875 times
OP- you need to talk to your state unemployment office for the exact particulars for your state and your situation.

However, this is basically how it works. If you are approved for the basic package of unemployment benefits you may use them all or in part for the next 52 weeks, depending on how you need them. Example, you are approved on August 1, 2013. You get a job on October, 1, 2013. On December 1, 2013, you leave that job. You then can simply continue to collect on your original claim as the time remaining on it hasn't run out. You don't need to file a second claim for the second job until you have used up all what is due from that original claim.

As far as being fired from a job in which you didn't perform well, that does not mean you cannot collect unemployment. If depends upon how you state looks at it. Here's a link to read. In particular, read paragraph 3.

Unemployment Benefits: What If You're Fired? | Nolo.com

Again, talk to your state unemployment office to get the correct info for your state.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM

Mod cut: Off topic.

Whether the job is offered to me, I quit because I cannot perform the tasks as required, or I get fired because I cannot perform the task as required -- the bottom line is that my central question about re-applying and getting benefits should I have to still is at the core of the matter. Willow Wind -- thank you for a proper response -- I appreciate that!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-21-2013 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,152,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyp21 View Post
Willowwind. You don't know my situation,
No, Willowwind might not, but anyone who reads the thread you started in the Retirement forum certainly does.

Take severance offer vs 2-year contract with benefits

Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM

756 posts, read 2,119,184 times
Quote:
However, this is basically how it works. If you are approved for the basic package of unemployment benefits you may use them all or in part for the next 52 weeks, depending on how you need them. Example, you are approved on August 1, 2013. You get a job on October, 1, 2013. On December 1, 2013, you leave that job. You then can simply continue to collect on your original claim as the time remaining on it hasn't run out. You don't need to file a second claim for the second job until you have used up all what is due from that original claim.

That's not how it works. If one is receiving unemployment and then takes a new position (he is supposed to tell the unemployment office), and he then "leaves" as in quits that new position, he won't re-qualify for that old unemployment claim.

Last edited by avg12; 08-20-2013 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 PM

756 posts, read 2,119,184 times
Quote:

Isn't your question the same question anyone would have when taking on a new job? Doesn't everyone ask themselves if they're going to like a new job and what happens if they don't. Maybe the answer is not to quit but to hang onto that job and look for another while employed.

Be thankful you have a job offer, who knows when the next good offer might come along. I also wouldn't go into a job with self defeat written all over me. You noted that you're worried you might not be up to the job. Rather, than that self defeat, convince yourself that you can do the job, get yourself up to speed, learn as quickly as you, see it as an opportunity to expand your work horizons. Don't use doubt as an excuse to stay home and do nothing.

Go to work. It's easier to get a job if employed that it is if unemployed.
I disagree with the tone of the post. There is nothing shameful about collecting unemployment, so it's not just "collecting some checks" and staying home and doing nothing.

Not all positions are the right fit and if he is truly doubting his fit (perhaps it's a technical role), his gut instinct might be right. If the person on unemployment declines on a position, the company will offer it to someone else that might be the better fit, perhaps someone who doesn't have the fallback of receiving unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment