Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
It has nothing to do with a conspiracy. Just go to any good university and look at their Computer Science department (or for that matter, check their Accounting, Finance, Biochemistry, Mechanical, Electronics, Instrumental departments). I bet more than 50% of the class will be foreign students or kids of first generation immigrants. This in turn translates to 50% of highly educated workforce being international students who would eventually work on H1B before they get their green cards.

It all has to do with the importance of education and willingness to work hard (which is a result of over population and extreme competition). Millions, I really mean millions, are graduating from universities in India and China every year. A very small fraction of that has the means to go to US, Australia, England, Canada, Singapore, etc. for higher education. Most of them work very hard and go on to succeed in their career.
You have a point. my mistake though that its not the H1B visa quota some lobbyists are fighting for but the quota of how many are processed for greencards. In the past, there were lot of indians and chinese being sent home because they didnt make it to greencard status in time. That was corrected during Clinton I believe.
The line to get the greencard is by country and processing indians and chinese has a very big backlog so they wanted to change the rules so the unfilled quota for other countries can be used for the indians/chinese. I guess the issue there is the slippery slope theory, that we'll be processing too many from those nations. Citizenship is more of a privilege than just filling the jobs
One thing I dont understand is why would this pass with a repub president and not with a dem president. Then theres that commercial about stopping more H1b processing because we/US has those talents/skills already. Obviously certain groups are promising votes to each side but the republican side smells a little fishy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
You are right. And that's exactly why I said H1B workers are very mobile in the first 3-4 years of ther 7 year H1B visa term. In the first 3-4 years, they test the market, take chances, change jobs a number of times, reach 2-3x their original salary and then find a job/employer where they will stay for another 3-4 years so they can file their green card.

About changing from Company A to Company B, that's a piece of cake. There are hundreds of employment agencies/body shoppers who will sponsor their H1B visa transfer for a cut of their pay (e.g. H1B candidate gets employed at XYZ Corp at $110/hr; his employer Company A being a tier 2 vendor gets $85. They retain $25 as their cut and pay $60 to the candidate).
With software engineers who have H1B visas, the vast majority work for some sort of contracting firm that companies can hire at will. I used a few firms like that. We would get someone on an H1B visa who legally works for the contracting company, the contracting company would fly him/her to us for a year long job, then move that person to a new company when they are done. We had a few people on for close to five years who legally worked for the contracting company the entire time, so you can definitely get around the move from company A to B, in the software developer role at least.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:35 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
there is one decent point in the article, which is
Quote:
The biggest users of these visas are not the tech companies that are calling for an increase in the quotas. They are outsourcing firms that hire foreign workers and loan them to other companies.
otherwise though i disagree. there is a shortage, if you amend the title to missing competent software engineers. i have never, ever, once in my life heard someone i knew who was both a good programmer and also had to hire other programmers say that there was not a shortage of good programmers. most people i know who claim there are plenty of programmers out there either aren't good programmers, don't have to conduct interviews of programmers, or both

put another way, every software group looking to hire is pretty much desperate. even profitable firms. google hires voraciously

the best description of what hiring software engineers i've seen is here:

The Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing (version 3.0) - Joel on Software

basically:

Quote:
Those 200 resumes you got from Craigslist? Those consist of the one guy who happened to be good, but he's only applying for a job because his wife wants to be nearer to her family, and the usual floating population of 199 people who apply for every single job and are qualified for none. And now you think you're being "super selective" but you're not, it's just a statistical fallacy.
this echos my own experience back when i used to hire programmers. tons of people would come in and be unable to perform simple hello world exercises. meanwhile the folks i know who are good programmers are never, ever unemployed. these guys agree:

Coding Horror: The Non-Programming Programmer

Using FizzBuzz to Find Developers who Grok Coding | Imran On Tech

How To Get Hired -- What CS Students Need to Know

Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
You can't even good reporting people for basic SQL. I ask candidates with 10+ years of SQL experience something simple.

I ask them to pull a list of records with null employee_ids in a dummy table with 10 records.

SELECT employee, employee_id
FROM tb_employee
WHERE employee_id = null

The most experienced candidate had a computer science degree in the 1980's, and had been working in IT for over 25 years.

Just because somebody has a degree, it doesn't mean they are capable.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I ask them to pull a list of records with null employee_ids in a dummy table with 10 records.

SELECT employee, employee_id
FROM tb_employee
WHERE employee_id = null
i think that's actually wrong. at least for some dbms systems. you have to say "employee_id is null" - using the "is" operator rather than the equality "=" operator. the reason is that some dbms systems will evaluate null = null as false. iirc, i got bit by that once on MSSQL 7

i agree with you in your principle though and i wouldn't use remembering that particular fact about null equality logic in an interview since it's such a non intuitive thing and in fact is a debated topic

i also don't know if MS's implementation differs from the ANSI standard. if i had to pick a language for "least standardized" i'd nominate SQL, sadly

also i do understand some folks aren't in top form in an interview - nervous, surprised, etc. but like you i've had "experienced" applicants fail at things that were basically "hello world"

EDIT - in case you care why, consider what would happen on an inner join on a column with some nulls if (null = null) evaluated to true. that's a quick and dirty explanation, and makes me think most/all dbms will handle it this way

Last edited by OdysseusNY; 08-22-2013 at 06:02 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i think that's actually wrong.
yeah, it's wrong, at least on MSSQL. try "select 'hello world' where (null = null)" and you get an empty result set. "select 'hello world' where (null is null)" gives the expected single row result set

anyway, i'll go back to my dark basement now. everyone else, carry on

do i at least get the job?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with a conspiracy. Just go to any good university and look at their Computer Science department (or for that matter, check their Accounting, Finance, Biochemistry, Mechanical, Electronics, Instrumental departments). I bet more than 50% of the class will be foreign students or kids of first generation immigrants. This in turn translates to 50% of highly educated workforce being international students who would eventually work on H1B before they get their green cards.
I attended a good university and have been involved with other good universities (comp eng, comp sci, human-computer interaction, physics, and economics) and I can honestly say that there's few foreign students and first generation immigrants. The ones that are first generation are 1.5 generation immigrants. There's a lot of second generation immigrants, however. Primarily from Asian and East European countries.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
there is one decent point in the article, which is

otherwise though i disagree. there is a shortage, if you amend the title to missing competent software engineers. i have never, ever, once in my life heard someone i knew who was both a good programmer and also had to hire other programmers say that there was not a shortage of good programmers. most people i know who claim there are plenty of programmers out there either aren't good programmers, don't have to conduct interviews of programmers, or both

put another way, every software group looking to hire is pretty much desperate. even profitable firms. google hires voraciously

the best description of what hiring software engineers i've seen is here:

The Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing (version 3.0) - Joel on Software

basically:

this echos my own experience back when i used to hire programmers. tons of people would come in and be unable to perform simple hello world exercises. meanwhile the folks i know who are good programmers are never, ever unemployed. these guys agree:

Coding Horror: The Non-Programming Programmer

Using FizzBuzz to Find Developers who Grok Coding | Imran On Tech

How To Get Hired -- What CS Students Need to Know
A lot of competent software engineers are not great programmers. While it helps, one does not need to be a great programmer to be a great software engineer.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I attended a good university and have been involved with other good universities (comp eng, comp sci, human-computer interaction, physics, and economics) and I can honestly say that there's few foreign students and first generation immigrants. The ones that are first generation are 1.5 generation immigrants. There's a lot of second generation immigrants, however. Primarily from Asian and East European countries.
CCNY's MS CS program is has a large majority of foreigners, primarily south asian. i am sure of this as i saw the stats once. i'm not sure about their undergrad program, but at the very least it is a large minority. if i had to guess, i would say a majority if you include 1st gen, a minority if you don't

columbia's grad CS program is majority too i think, at least at the MS level. but i am not sure on that one

of course, NYC programs are skewed

my ugrad CS program was primarily domestic but that was over 10 years ago

Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
CCNY's MS CS program is has a large majority of foreigners, primarily south asian. i am sure of this as i saw the stats once. i'm not sure about their undergrad program, but at the very least it is a large minority. if i had to guess, i would say a majority if you include 1st gen, a minority if you don't

columbia's grad CS program is majority too i think, at least at the MS level. but i am not sure on that one

of course, NYC programs are skewed

my ugrad CS program was primarily domestic but that was over 10 years ago
Well, he referred to good schools. CCNY is out.

I've taught CS at Columbia (Undergrad). They're makeup is mostly second generation immigrants and white people. I did my undergrad in CS at Princeton... it was mostly second gen asian and white people.

I was at UPitt and CMU during the same semester once... UPitt had quite a bit of foreigners while CMU did not... they had some... but nowhere near 50%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment