Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:00 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,945 times

Advertisements

If it were me, I'd go, NOT interact with this hated coworker, and just talk to anyone else instead. If the food's free, then all the better.

If you REALLY DO NOT want to go (you really think she's such an awful human being, let alone coworker that you don't want to be near her ever), consider making up an excuse. AFAIK, you do NOT have paid lunches? You can make up a convincing spiel that you want to work through lunch to get out early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,919 times
I heard from some friends about a co-worker that was extremely disliked by pretty much everyone at their workplace. This person decided to elect themselves the official planner of the next company function. Typically, a couple hundred people would show up. Not this time. 3 people wandered in, that's it.

How does one manage to make enemies out of everyone in every department?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,324,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
This is one of those things that you attend for you and not for her. Go, make sure the boss sees you, have a snack and hit the road.
Yeah, really similar to a funeral...

Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I heard from some friends about a co-worker that was extremely disliked by pretty much everyone at their workplace. This person decided to elect themselves the official planner of the next company function. Typically, a couple hundred people would show up. Not this time. 3 people wandered in, that's it.

How does one manage to make enemies out of everyone in every department?
There are DEFINITELY some very abrasive personalities or workstyles out there.

One case, I worked at a place where one person was so sick of the way another coworker insisted on how things got done (and other issues) that he confronted him one day and said: from now on, only talk to me if you want to talk about work. Don't even say "hi" to me.

In another case, A former coworker told me that in his last job, a source of entertainment for many was how a database administrator and system administrator would come into work and go at each other about various issues with the project, and even spilled into some out of work topics.

In one of my previous jobs, this 22 year old only got the job because his dad was a partner at the parent company. He had no formal education in that field, nor any experience. That sort of influence not only got him the job, but pretty much meant he wasn't getting fired. Normally, I have no ill will towards such folks whatsoever, but when they make YOUR work experience miserable, then that's another thing entirely. He would NEVER shut up. I know more about his girlfriend than my job for the first week because he keeps yakking with the guy next to him. I hear that when he didn't get a cubicle at the back with the computer monitor facing away from everyone (it was determined by random lottery), he made a big stink about it (and the guy who did win it and got shut out is not happy about that). Now, he plays PSP games and does ALOT of non-work related stuff on his office computer (I sat in front of him, so I would know of these activities). But he accuses other people of doing "non work" stuff when he clearly does it himself. We had a project manager, but he was essentially our manager. I thought maybe I was flying off the handle, but nearly everyone mentioned in confidence that they don't like him either. In fact, one person said "there's a reason no one sits next to him" (the guy next to him was sort of "stuck" with him, and I moved away to another cubicle ASAP).

Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 AM

421 posts, read 880,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndTiggerToo View Post
Go. You can, I am sure, honestly wish the person bon voyage. I mean, will it REALLY be hard for you to show up, tell them you are glad they were able to get the new opportunity and that the office won't be the same without them? All true, and at this point, you go because it is the right thing to do in a work setting. Work is very often about doing what is appropriate and professional when you really want to tell the person that it is time for a 10 foot walk off of a 5 foot pier. One more time of being the professional in the situation won;t kill you.

Oh please stop believing this garbage that your boss is brainwashing you with.

As long as you do your job correctly, you should say whatever you feel is accurate!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndTiggerToo View Post
Are you really saying that in every minute of every day you are doing only that which you agree with? If your boss asks you to prepare a report, do you only do it if you think the report is important? What if it is a report that you don't normally do?

Seriously. OP's boss is saying he should go to the luncheon. Going doesn't make him any more a hypocrite, to use your word, than he was on a daily basis being nice to the person while at work. Yet, somehow that is being a team player and putting aside personal differences for the good of the company.

There is a HUGE difference between civility, manners, professionalism, and hypocrisy. Only someone either very young and idealistic or with a string of unsuccessful jobs behind them is unable to master the difference.

If it's a report I normally don't do, I make it clear that it's not my responsibility to do it.

He shouldn't have gone out of his way to be nice to the person in the first place.

How is that for the good of the company if the person is leaving anyway?

There is NO difference between manners and hypocrisy.

Many people seem to think that if they are paid to do something, it is OK to be a hypocrite, but that is totally false!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Any adult who has had a job for more than a week does things they don't want to do. Thanks for the morning laugh.

I'm not talking about doing something that you don't want to do because you're tired.

I'm talking about something that you have a moral objection to.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Ditto on the morning chuckle. This poster is destined for a remarkable road ahead where employment is concerned ...

I'll start my own business.

I would never lower myself to taking orders from an incompetent hypocrite whose only desire in life is money.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Go out of respect for the person doing the asking. The person leaving is "leaving" - the boss will be there tomorrow and appreciate you validating their request.

The boss will also know the employee is a mindless sheep without an ounce of their own conviction. Great way to lose their respect.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
We've had a luncheon where NOBODY showed up because the woman was awful, was always absent or late, never finished their work on time, was just a rude person in general.

The only reason there was any kind of "thing" is because there's always that one person in the office who wants to make everybody feel like they're "loved". Whatever. It backfired and she never did it again.

That's GREAT!

I'm proud of your department for upholding their convictions.

But you should have told that person that, in most circumstances, people will show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment