Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 PM

42 posts, read 121,365 times

Advertisements

I was laid off for about 5 months. During that time I got a call about a 6 week temporary position. I was informed during the interview that there was a very good opportunity for full time after the 6 weeks was over. I took the position and during that time I got offered a full time job. The full time position is something that I never did before and I believe I over-romanticized the position because I didn't really like the temporary job. I then quit the temporary job and took the full time opportunity. I knew I would have to move for this full time job and I assumed I could find a place/area of town I would like just as much as my current place. The first day on the job I realized I made a big mistake!!! What makes things even worse is that I don't like the area of town or apartment I live in. I can't move back to my previous place because it's to far from work and if I moved closer to work I will be in the suburbs. There is nothing wrong with the suburbs, but I'm 31, single and I feel like I will be very unhappy. I feel like when I send my resume out that I won't get any call backs because I haven't been at this job that long. I can't quit because I need the money. If I got laid off it would be a disaster, but I'm miserable in my current situation. I really don't know what to do. I feel like I screwed up my life beyond repair. It feels like I'm the only person who has screwed up this bad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 05:46 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
You haven't screwed up your life beyond repair- you haven't screwed it up at all. You made the best move you could under the circumstances at the time.

Nothing in life is permanent. What you do now if suck it up for a year or so and make the best of it. Do the best you can at your job- use it as a learning experience, something good to put on a resume.

If you don't like where you live, then stay there until your lease ends, gather together enough for a security deposit, etc. and look for some place else to move nearby. Or take a chance on the suburbs, who knows you may like it.

Each and every day keep reminding yourself that you are employed. Think of what your life would have been by now if you weren't. That 6 week temp job, who knows where that might have gone- probably bye- bye. Look at your current situation, not as a dead end, but as a stepping stone to something better down the road. Remember it's always easier to find another job when you are employed than when you're not.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:51 PM

124 posts, read 242,736 times
No..you are not the only person that has made a wrong move when it comes to their job. 2 months ago I took a job that I thought I would love that pays really well. I do NOT love the new job I hate it. I am so miserable I can barely breathe. It's almost like the 8 hours I spend there sucks my soul dry and I spend my 2 days off just trying to recover before it starts all over again. I have looked for other jobs in my field but none of them pay as much as this job. I'd have to take a $400 pay cut a month to go somewhere else..I can't do that! I also have to deal with the fact Ive been at this job such a short time it's hard to explain to another employer why I want to bail after just 2 months. I feel trapped. So I sympathize.

What is worse? Where you now live or the job? If its where you live..look around. You may be able to find some place better. You said that the suburbs are closer to your work? If you have to move there you can use the gas you save to commute for "fun things" in the city. If its the job try looking around for a part time job in your field..or a temp position that's part time...work it on your days off and maybe you can transition into a full time position and get out of the job you have now. Don't be afraid to continue to send out your resume...you never know what might happen. If I've learned anything from my bad decisions in life its that nothing ever stays terrible forever..either you can work to change it or life will come along and change things up for you. Good Luck with everything

Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Apartment Complexes in the suburbs are full of single people. They do all kinds of fun things in the suburbs and they also go to to the city for fun.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
Of course you didn't screw up your life beyond repair.

Keep looking for work, and then stick this out for a while, it'll be fine. You haven't ruined your life, and if an employer asks you why you are looking so soon you can just say you realize the job you have just isn't a good fit for you.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM

23,551 posts, read 24,057,818 times
I am certain that everyone goes through this at one point, or another. I once quit a great job, to join a start-up, that turned out to be a disaster. I just hung in there until I found something better.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:35 PM

71 posts, read 249,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I am certain that everyone goes through this at one point, or another. I once quit a great job, to join a start-up, that turned out to be a disaster. I just hung in there until I found something better.
how long did you stay at the startup? was it well paid or more based on stock options?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,730,203 times
yeah, I joined a non profit company once and I hated it. After two or three months, I quit and get another job.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 PM

23,551 posts, read 24,057,818 times
7 months, but after the first month, I knew it wasn't for me (bad culture, unorganized management).
I received a salary + commission (I work in sales) + stock options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeunemployed View Post
how long did you stay at the startup? was it well paid or more based on stock options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment