Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 02:29 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,242 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some insight on my situation and see what you guys think. The deal is this, I have been trying to suck up things here for quite some time(2 yrs). I originally moved away because I live in East Texas and it is very close minded and segregated here. Well, I had to come back, and I decided to try to make the best of it and enroll in a masters' program, at my local university, specifically an MPA program. Well, some not so great things have happened since then and I am extremely stressed. It's not the course work, it's once again the people around me, the racism, the negativity...in fact, for the first time ever, I did not complete an assignment for class. If I can finish this semester, I might have either 4 more or 7 more classes to graduate depending on my university because they are saying that 3 classes are too old(over 6 years). I honestly don't want to wait any longer and I want to move. I feel like I can't breathe here, like I am drowning. I unfortunately took out loans for this semester

The solution would be for me move away and try to start over, however, I am still in this masters program and I cannot be jumping back and forth. The MPA program cannot be done online. I learned about this new thing called academic partnerships and they do degrees online with local universities at a reduced rate. I have considered going back for a masters in educational technology leadership or a bachelor's in corporate communications. I really am stuck because on one hand, I want to get out of here, but at the same time, I want to end up with a degree that will really help my employment options. Right now, I have a degree in History and I would really like to get into marketing and journalism. The course work for the communications degree seems interesting, more so than the Masters in educational technology leadership.

I can't afford to make any mistakes, and once I leave, I probably won't be able to come back. To make matters worse, my roommate has announced that he is leaving at the end of spring 2014. If I have not finished my MPA by then(provided that I am still here), I will be screwed. Apartments here are expensive and my area of the state has a 14% unemployment rate, that and because jobs don't pay a lot= screwed.

So I would like to move, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot so to speak, but the thought of having to take more classes here just really stresses me out, I feel like there is a huge weight on my chest. I tried to talk to a counselor and that did not help...can someone give me some insight please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 04:41 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,604 times
Not sure if you would appreciate my advice, but want to provide support. If the MPA increases your job prospects and income, I would just go ahead and complete the degree. Now is not the time for an existential crisis, for floundering costs time and money. Instead of focusing on the negative things around you, actively redirect your attention to only the positive things. And your classes. Just work on your coursework and texts so that you are the best you can be in your future profession. Then move once you graduate! Your level of misery is really a reflection of what you focus your attention on.

When I had a particular challenging time living in the rural mountains of NC & felt like I cod not relate to a soul around me, I dove into my studies and graduated. Never regretted getting that degree, for it opened many doors. I just pretended like I was in the Peace Corp at the time, a foreigner in a strikingly different culture from what I prefer and feel comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment