Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 02:00 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,564 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to understand exactly what I did that would make my supervisor ask me things such as "Can you explain why you haven't done this" when I have been here for two years and ALWAYS do my job. I'm a counselor and I was assigned a particular youth to see and I saw that youth three times AND talked about him twice during our weekly meetings, both times of which my supervisor was present and HE was the one asking me questions about the youth. I even talked to the youth's casemanager and addressed some concerns the youth's grandmother was having about his medication and counseling.

The casemanager calls and asks him a question about how to deal with the grandmother and I get an EMAIL, nothing in person, asking me if I can explain why I haven't seen this youth since he was put on my caseload three weeks ago.

Then, he asked why I hadn't put my paperwork in within the normal 5 day work week deadline-he was stating that I had waited 7 days. I wrote back my reply stating that I saw a youth on this certain day and had my paperwork in within 48 hours, nothing rude or sarcastic, just telling him I had it in on this certain day. Then I told him that I had seen the youth on my caseload 3 times already and I had also spoken with the casemanager about the grandmother and was working on the issue.

He stops responding to me and then sends out an email to all the counselors stating that paperwork now had to be turned in within the 8 hour work day.

I'm really confused.............what did I do wrong? I asked the other counselors and they all said they had never had a problem with him. I'm super confused what I did to get on his bad side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
If he sent that email to everyone about the 8 hours then it's not just you right?

Maybe he got you confused with someone else.

Why not go speak to him and ask if he received your email? Ask him if your email cleared everything up for him.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 AM

559 posts, read 1,466,564 times
No he definitely did not get me confused with anyone else. His office is RIGHT NEXT TO MINE and he avoids talking to me at all costs. He always emails me. And he got my email because it said he read it. I'm just confused because it seems like he got mad when I told him I had done everything according to his rules on time limits and then just made the time limit even worse.

Ugh. I'm still searching for new jobs and I haven't gotten anywhere.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Wink nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I'm trying to understand exactly what I did that would make my supervisor ask me things such as "Can you explain why you haven't done this" when I have been here for two years and ALWAYS do my job. I'm a counselor and I was assigned a particular youth to see and I saw that youth three times AND talked about him twice during our weekly meetings, both times of which my supervisor was present and HE was the one asking me questions about the youth. I even talked to the youth's casemanager and addressed some concerns the youth's grandmother was having about his medication and counseling.

The casemanager calls and asks him a question about how to deal with the grandmother and I get an EMAIL, nothing in person, asking me if I can explain why I haven't seen this youth since he was put on my caseload three weeks ago.

Then, he asked why I hadn't put my paperwork in within the normal 5 day work week deadline-he was stating that I had waited 7 days. I wrote back my reply stating that I saw a youth on this certain day and had my paperwork in within 48 hours, nothing rude or sarcastic, just telling him I had it in on this certain day. Then I told him that I had seen the youth on my caseload 3 times already and I had also spoken with the casemanager about the grandmother and was working on the issue.

He stops responding to me and then sends out an email to all the counselors stating that paperwork now had to be turned in within the 8 hour work day.

I'm really confused.............what did I do wrong? I asked the other counselors and they all said they had never had a problem with him. I'm super confused what I did to get on his bad side.
only thing you did was call him on his bs and his lack of maintaining his own workload. Good for you.
Koale

Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Sounds like he's both incompetent and a micro-manager. I have one of these right now and it's dreadful. She does the same thing: constant follow up and follow up on things that we have already discussed. I try stay off her radar as much as possible. When you have a micro-manager, I think the best tactic is to manage up. What that means is that you need to understand what your manager is seeking and get it to him/her before s/he asks for it. Once you learn your manager's patterns, it'll be easy to predict and plan for such things.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment