Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Finis Price III was a successful Kentucky lawyer, a popular professor, and a sought after technology consultant. He also enjoyed a marriage so close that his wife was also his business partner. The good days ended abruptly when he jumped to his death in 2012.

"Finis was my best friend since we were kids," Heather Price said of her husband, who taught at Chase Law School at Northern Kentucky University and managed a thriving practice until his death at age 37.

Why are lawyers killing themselves? - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:29 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Finis Price III was a successful Kentucky lawyer, a popular professor, and a sought after technology consultant. He also enjoyed a marriage so close that his wife was also his business partner. The good days ended abruptly when he jumped to his death in 2012.

"Finis was my best friend since we were kids," Heather Price said of her husband, who taught at Chase Law School at Northern Kentucky University and managed a thriving practice until his death at age 37.

Why do lawyers kill themselves? They know they're awful human beings.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,254 times
My guess mainly because I can't be bothered to read the article.

Giant piles of stress, year after year, toss in some depression and there you are... assuming that doctors, air traffic controllers and lion tamers also fall into these "at risk" professions.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,695 times
I can't answer specifically why b/c I'm not a lawyer. But perhaps having an extremely stressful job, where you're viewed, overall, as malicious, incorrigible, and lacking morals, doesn't make things any easier.

Having lots of success and money does not guarantee anyone happiness in life. And they certainly don't protect one from one's own personal demons...

Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 PM

832 posts, read 1,418,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

I would say it's partly because of the type of personality that's drawn to the law.

I don't think it's fair to call all lawyers scum as the previous posters have. If you're not a lawyer, you don't understand what they go through.

Making enough billable hours is insanely stressful.

Many attorney's really think their clients are in the right, they are innocent and take it to heart when they lose or find out it's not what it seems. And therein lies another part of the the problem. Because despite having that bubble burst time and again, they keep going back to fight the fight because they believe to protect the good, you must protect the bad and this time the client is "good" and you'll feel good in helping them. The dichotomy in living a life like that, coupled with income demands, the dependency of clients on them, family demands and their mental issues creates the perfect storm.

Not every attorney is bad.

And we all know not every attorney is good.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post

Making enough billable hours is insanely stressful.

Yeah,

Insanely stressful. Like trying to bill out 40 hours a week at $250 an hour. . . . .

Which is like $10,000 a week in billable hours. It must be insanely stressful, because like, who could afford to live on less than that.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM

832 posts, read 1,418,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Yeah,

Insanely stressful. Like trying to bill out 40 hours a week at $250 an hour. . . . .

Which is like $10,000 a week in billable hours. It must be insanely stressful, because like, who could afford to live on less than that.
Unless it's a small firm, most attorneys don't get that money first hand. It goes to the firm and to partners. I'm not saying they're all good. My divorce attorney was a horrible little man and I tried to talk my ex out of using him. But that's for another thread.

Just remember, the attorney who got the criminal off on a "technicality" is the same attorney who makes sure that "technicality" is applied to everyone. That "technicality" is the Constitution. If they let law enforcement slide on one issue, then law enforcement will let it slide on everyone, including the innocent.

All I'm saying is that good people do bad things, bad people don't always present themselves as bad and it's not fair to judge all attorneys because of a divorce or one experience.

Besides, this is off topic. The topic is why their suicide rate is so high.

I guess though, you would look at Japanese kids, think about the Kamikazes and conclude that no one should care that the Japanese have a high suicide rate either.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Why do lawyers kill themselves? They know they're awful human beings.
Reminds me of an old joke that had the punch line "...a good start".

Maybe they feel guilty for knowing that innocent people went to jail because they lost the case?

Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Yeah,

40 hours billed =/= 40 hours worked. Even in firms with the most liberal billing policies, for most people, that's going to end up being between closer to 50-60 hours a week (depending on individual productivity/need for "breaks"). That still isn't too bad as a young associate, all things considered. The problem is that at many firms, the targeted billing "requirement" is really an "absolute minimum." Those who want to rise through the ranks at the big firms in primary markets end up having to bill closer to 2,200 hours--hence the 70-hour days that are seen as typical among New York big law associates.

And as another poster pointed out, even a partner at a firm isn't going to take anywhere near 100% of what he/she bills unless they work at a smaller shop. Big law associates usually start out between $100,000 and $160,000, depending on the market. Some firms (mostly the big ones) offer lockstep advances but many others proceed based on "merit" pay, so the battle is on...

Old 01-21-2014, 04:52 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Stress, long hours, financial issues/lack of security (if self employed or in a small group), confrontational nature, etc. Plus a lot of times they are dealing with scummy clients (even in civil law).

Finis Price apparently specialized in employment discrimination. When you make your money bringing mostly nonsense lawsuits against an employer on behalf of some idiot who got fired, just to get your cut of a small nuisance settlement, there's not much to feel good about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment