Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times

Advertisements

Good luck on the interview, sometimes it's the ones we want the most that take the longest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 PM

185 posts, read 461,394 times
Looked for full-time for for 1 year and 5 days now, worked part-time jobs in the meantime, interviewed with a grand total of 2 places in person, and everything else was too far away from where I can work.

I'm crawling back to my old employer, didn't burn any bridges, but lord I wish people would at least give me the courtesy of a rejection letter if they contacted me....

Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times
There's a special circle in hell for people who interview you and then never get back to you. Cowards. Grow a pair and tell me "no"...I promise I can handle it.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 PM

12,777 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I hear ya! Not me, but someone I know is just about completely fed up with job searching. The last job that hired him this past summer was minimum wage for a printing company...definitely not the pay he wanted, but it was better than nothing. Little did he know that they only called him to start work because they were in a pinch. He was told it would be M-F, 8 hrs/day, but after working ONLY one lousy week, they dropped him & he never heard from them anymore to come in to work & it had nothing to do with his performance. He worked his butt off & was fast because he wanted to show them that he was an asset.

Every place else he goes all seem to go through a temp agency in which the agencies ALL say they want RECENT experience. My friend has years of experience, but not recent, so they automatically dismiss him.

He feels like there's no hope out there!

What is a person to do?!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeViolationMcEnroe View Post
From my experience, if a company wants to move on to the next interview with you, you'll hear within 2-3 days, usually just 1 day.

Not my experience at all. Often it is a week or more. One job (with a University) it was 4 weeks between contacts at multiple stages.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I hear ya! Not me, but someone I know is just about completely fed up with job searching. The last job that hired him this past summer was minimum wage for a printing company...definitely not the pay he wanted, but it was better than nothing. Little did he know that they only called him to start work because they were in a pinch. He was told it would be M-F, 8 hrs/day, but after working ONLY one lousy week, they dropped him & he never heard from them anymore to come in to work & it had nothing to do with his performance. He worked his butt off & was fast because he wanted to show them that he was an asset.

Every place else he goes all seem to go through a temp agency in which the agencies ALL say they want RECENT experience. My friend has years of experience, but not recent, so they automatically dismiss him.

He feels like there's no hope out there!

What is a person to do?!
Has he tried local temp agencies? That might help him at least get his foot in the door somewhere.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 PM

12,777 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Has he tried local temp agencies? That might help him at least get his foot in the door somewhere.
Oh yes! I said in the 2nd paragraph of the post that he's gone to them. Any other advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment