Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times

Advertisements

The fired employee has every right to know why they're being fired, but a potential employer shouldn't expect the former employer to go into detail as to why that person was fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
As an employer I will NEVER give a reason for terminating an "at will" employee! If a reason is given it opens you up to litigation.
Personally, I think it is exactly the opposite. Without a reason, there is no reason for the person to think it is anything other than discrimination. And with all of the protected classes, essentially anyone can fall under some category.

Everyone who is terminated in my area knows exactly why they are being terminated; and it should be no surprise. They've been counseled and written up; and all errors/ behavior issues have been documented. It is no shock to the employee as to why they are being let go; possibly the timing might be the only surprising thing.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnwrum View Post
If you get a phone call from your contractor company saying that employer said "it didn't work out well" and terminated you, would it hurt to ask the reason for the termination?
You "didn't work out" apparently.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I can't imagine not knowing why you were fired from a job. Even if they don't tell you, isn't it usually pretty obvious?

At least you have a slam dunk when you are filing for unemployment. No reason given for a firing is pretty much equivalent to a lay-off in the eyes of the unemployment office.
Not always. I was "let go" once and no reason was given. I was told I was doing a good job when I asked. I believe I was let go because of a new president coming in and bringing in his people. I was never given a reason and I asked. I was stunned to be told I was being let go.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,323 times
I think the key point many of us are missing is that it sounds like a contractor/temp position. Of course the client company would not give a reason for letting a contractor/temp go. They have nothing to gain by doing so. They are probably using contractors/temps specifically because they are NOT employees - flexible, disposable, and virtually risk-free.

If it were a permanent position you were let go from, sure, go ahead and ask. I wouldn't expect an answer for legal reasons but you never know. For a contractor/temp, I wouldn't expect an honest answer at all under any circumstance.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:04 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
The employer should give always give a substantial reason for your termination. If they dont, ASK

When I used to help out the HR department in a company I used to work for, we were NEVER permitted to give a reason why the person no longer worked there. All we could do was have the new company fax or mail in a request and we would provide them ONLY with the dates the person worked there and nothing more.

I've heard on more than one occassion that it's not legal to give personal information (such as why a person was fired) or whether they are eligible for rehire.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 PM

358 posts, read 1,057,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Really? I was under the impression the employer couldn't go into detail or specifics of why one was terminated.
Depending on state law, an employer may not be able to answer specific questions regarding previous employment when a future potential employer inquires. However, you can ask any question about employment.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
When I used to help out the HR department in a company I used to work for, we were NEVER permitted to give a reason why the person no longer worked there. All we could do was have the new company fax or mail in a request and we would provide them ONLY with the dates the person worked there and nothing more.

I've heard on more than one occassion that it's not legal to give personal information (such as why a person was fired) or whether they are eligible for rehire.
You have heard incorrectly on more than one occasion. This may be company policy, but it is certainly not law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorjason View Post
Depending on state law, an employer may not be able to answer specific questions regarding previous employment when a future potential employer inquires. However, you can ask any question about employment.
Please cite the law. This is not federal law, nor is it state law anywhere to the best of my knowledge.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
As an employer I will NEVER give a reason for terminating an "at will" employee! If a reason is given it opens you up to litigation.

We always tell "at will" employees why they are fired. Documentation and progressive discipline will save you from more lawsuits than leaving people to wonder what happened.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I always give reasons as to why I fire employees. It is never a mystery, and they usually know it is coming before it happens.

No employee is going to win a lawsuit based upon a legitimate reason.

Yep. terminations are rarely a surprise. Documentation, progressive discipline, last chance agreements, etc. build a solid defense against any law suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment