Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 09:39 AM

544 posts, read 610,149 times

Advertisements

looking for a job..interviewing for a job..getting a promotion..marketing yourself through social media..etc

I'm pretty sure that most local newspapers around the country have a section near the help wanted that is just a copy/paste job from like Monster or another over hyped internet job site.

Where they give you 5 tips on this, 10 tips on this, etc.

Like one was 10 careers that will be booming for the next 10 years or something.

90% of these articles are like pure garbage.

But I guess that's the local newspaper for you.

With information being so widely available in so many places, if job seekers didn't already know things they shouldn't or should do in an interview the tips in the article will not help them at all.

It seems that we have taken "recycling" to an extreme. Where companies just steal/copy the ideas of other companies and write their own pointless articles. And they act like it's actual journalism. This american society, and it's jobs columns are nothing but spewers of redundant garbage being recycled.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
I don't understand why people read a hard copy newspaper for anything, let alone job seeking advice.

Yesterday's technology, tomorrow.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM

544 posts, read 610,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I don't understand why people read a hard copy newspaper for anything, let alone job seeking advice.

The newspapers classified's section is still the best source for finding jobs in your area.

I'm very techy, and there are only a few decent jobs sites. Monster is terrible. Craigslist is hit or miss. Career builder sucks.

So unless you're looking to move out of the area you're now in, make sure to buy the local paper in your job hunt. There will be jobs that you find in there that you won't be able to find anywhere online. And you will have a lot more confidence in knowing that the company is actually hiring right now, and that they are real.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
looking for a job..interviewing for a job..getting a promotion..marketing yourself through social media..etc

I'm pretty sure that most local newspapers around the country have a section near the help wanted that is just a copy/paste job from like Monster or another over hyped internet job site.

Where they give you 5 tips on this, 10 tips on this, etc.

Like one was 10 careers that will be booming for the next 10 years or something.

90% of these articles are like pure garbage.

But I guess that's the local newspaper for you.

With information being so widely available in so many places, if job seekers didn't already know things they shouldn't or should do in an interview the tips in the article will not help them at all.

It seems that we have taken "recycling" to an extreme. Where companies just steal/copy the ideas of other companies and write their own pointless articles. And they act like it's actual journalism. This american society, and it's jobs columns are nothing but spewers of redundant garbage being recycled.

Anyone else feel the same way?
I agree many of the articles are cookie cutter methods and often the same very basic things everyone should know as it is. Things like using the right attention-grabbing terms on a resume, Tailoring the resume, Thank you letter, What to wear etc. Sometimes the best advice is from actual people in the field and even using out of the box methods for job searching, And personal branding and how to convey how you are the one to hire over the competition especially. Many people here on CD have offered great advice actually.

Articles like these are not limited to work and employment. Many articles on how to get proper sleep, Get beach ready in a month and how to spice up your romance are many I feel i see. If you Google these, You get thousands of hits and many articles are recycled links or the same old thing re-written.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:41 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post

One reason is that it's actually faster for me to read through a paper newspaper to read all of the day's news than to click through a bunch of of links. It's also more comfortable for me to hold the newspaper while lying in bed -- it's lighter than any laptop or tablet, at least if you only hold a few pages at a time.

The thing is, there are some items in the news where I want to be kept up to date as much as possible. And for those I do read the latest on the internet all throughout the day. But those items are not that many.

There is lots of stuff going on in the news where I want to know in general what is going on, but if I only get a daily update, that's good enough. The newspaper is perfect for that. For example, the war in Syria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment