Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 12:51 AM

687 posts, read 617,235 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about the best way to handle this for a while and I am stumped, or at least need some second opinions, so I thought I would ask the "experts" on City-Data.

I have an issue at work where two coworkers will decide to do my work because they are bored with their jobs or want overtime (a previous employee also did this... I am an easy target because my shift is later than everyone else's). I have trained them as back ups for a few tasks in case I get sick or go on vacation, and also to do weekend work once in a while. Since they know a few things, suddenly they decide to do these tasks whenever they want without asking. It was made clear that the training was for backup and weekends. Often they are avoiding their daily responsibilities that they don't like or think is beneath them, but they still want to appear productive. I wouldn't mind so much, that isn't my problem, but what really irritates me is that they don't ask what I might need help on, they just go do things and screw up my schedule. Even though I have mentioned the lack of communication on this, I suppose I am not being forceful enough.

The last time this happened the coworker almost came out and said they were doing it to get overtime without getting in trouble because I "needed the help". I had my day organized so I would have everything finished on time, and my shift didn't end for another two hours after hers. I never asked for help. Yet I didn't stop her because I have mixed feelings about it. I feel like she was taking advantage of my willingness to show her some of my tasks (it is a long story, but she is in a less prominent position in the company and I am trying to give her a leg up by making her a back-up).

I am not sure how to ask them to stop doing this without being rude or sounding like I never want their involvement, especially after the fact. How do I walk this line of being respectful to their (somewhat ulterior motivated) helpfulness but also make sure they respect me when they want extra jobs to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 04:39 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
What does your supervisor say about it, if anything?

I would just say something on the order of "Thanks, but I'll handle it".

They may be unknowingly setting up a potential lay off scenario for one of you.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Can you tell me in general what kind of work it is? It would really determine my advice.

Manufacturing? Grocery store?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:01 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,300,574 times
Without knowing specifics, you can tell them that you plan your work in advance and know what needs to be done and, while you appreciate the thought, their work is counterproductive and makes more work for you. Once they are done with their job, they can ask you if you need any help, and you will let them know what you need them to do.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,760,041 times
Don't worry about being rude. They are making you look bad and have no qualms about it!

Old 11-05-2015, 12:04 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,044,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

This.

3 people doing the work of 2 and 2 people trying to clock overtime. I know you do not describe it exactly this way, but skipping tasks one doesn't like to do other's work is just a symptom of too many hands for too little work.

This only ends a few ways. Possibly a worker gets fired or the immediate supervisor gets fired. It is only a matter of time until payroll audits overtime and someone asks your boss why.

I would not waste another second trying to negotiate behavior with your co-workers. Now is one of those times your mother told you it was okay to be a tattle-tale. Talk to your boss--if you are entrusted to train others on your tasks and feel like you have the leeway to task others to "help" you, you should have the credibility to address it.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,686,376 times
What are the internal procedures? Surely, these people can't just pick up work that has been assigned to you and then do it. If so, just go talk to your supervisor or whoever is in charge.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:49 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
They are making you obsolete, so you better find a way out of this behavior, or you could be kicked to the curb.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM

687 posts, read 617,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

If my supervisor knew how the incident with the female coworker played out, she would be upset. There are a number of office politics which keep me from getting her involved when it might go smoother to address it myself.

They are both new hires that are not performing very well. There is plenty to do, but the supervisor has difficulties enforcing any policy for getting their tasks done. She just complains but gives no consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Can you tell me in general what kind of work it is? It would really determine my advice.

Manufacturing? Grocery store?
Analytical testing. It is small with under 50 employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Without knowing specifics, you can tell them that you plan your work in advance and know what needs to be done and, while you appreciate the thought, their work is counterproductive and makes more work for you. Once they are done with their job, they can ask you if you need any help, and you will let them know what you need them to do.
Thanks! I just need to be that eloquent in the moment, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They are making you obsolete, so you better find a way out of this behavior, or you could be kicked to the curb.
I am not worried about that. I am valued by the company. I am bringing them new contracts and developing testing programs, which neither of these employees can do. Teaching them will eventually get me off the hook for my more menial jobs, so I need to become sharper in handling these kinds of issues, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment