Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM

12 posts, read 177,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
most likely they will ask you. tell the truth. say you were hired on probation and at the end of the probationary period you were not kept. they might ask you for the reasons behind this so you would need to tell them the truth as far you not meeting their standards and what not. if i were you i would look for an entry level position or even an internship or apprenticeship, youll need some training on things you do not understand.

i dont really see you as being fired, its just a missed opportunity. most people that come into our company are hired as temps and have to serve a 6 month probation period before they learn if they are kept or let go, so they are technically temp employees if they are not kept and full time if they are.
would i put "no" under "have you ever been fired" section?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc87 View Post
would i put "no" under "have you ever been fired" section?
what exactly happened when they didn't keep you full time? did you they give you a letter that stated you were fired? did they verbally state you were being terminated or fired? this is pretty important (more so to have in writing) in case you have to claim unemployment later.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:23 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
As a college graduate you should understand the word PROBATION.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:51 PM

12 posts, read 177,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
what exactly happened when they didn't keep you full time? did you they give you a letter that stated you were fired? did they verbally state you were being terminated or fired? this is pretty important (more so to have in writing) in case you have to claim unemployment later.
I didn't get to be full time because I kept making mistakes. In my profession, normally you would go through 6 months of supervised practice and take the registered exam. In my case, I graduated with a bachelor's and automatically become eligible to take the registered exam without taking supervised practice. Applying for a job in a big hospital gave me a lot of challenges. Although I improved immensely from the beginning, it was not enough to keep my job.

My manager gave me a letter on the day of me being let go stating that I did not pass probation and I was being let go.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc87 View Post
I didn't get to be full time because I kept making mistakes. In my profession, normally you would go through 6 months of supervised practice and take the registered exam. In my case, I graduated with a bachelor's and automatically become eligible to take the registered exam without taking supervised practice. Applying for a job in a big hospital gave me a lot of challenges. Although I improved immensely from the beginning, it was not enough to keep my job.

My manager gave me a letter on the day of me being let go stating that I did not pass probation and I was being let go.
well then i would say that is being fired then

say yes to being fired and then explain how you were not properly trained

Old 12-01-2013, 04:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You were fired. It is easier to fire someone who is on probation as opposed to someone who is off probation. I would concentrate on finding a place that will let you do your clinical time (if that is possible) because you appear to be in over your head.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
It is being fired for being unable to pass your initial employment period, for reasons of performance, work conduct, or no reason at all.

Union contractual protections against firing without due process/cause, AFIAK, do not cover employees during their initial ['probationary'] period.

A year is an awfully long probationary period in a union environment, AFAIK.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Most employers, when asked by a prospective employer for a reference, will only verify salary and dates of employment, and the position held, and perhaps will state whether the person is eligible for rehire. That's it. You could ask the former employer what their answer to that last question would be. If it's yes, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Depends on the company. Some may give you a week severance if after that period, or let you continue medical insurance.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
You were fired.

You did not quit and the employer ended your employment because of poor performance. That is what being fired refers to. Simply because this happened during a probationary period makes no difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment