Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:08 AM

227 posts, read 745,441 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a job that starts on Dec 16th. Yesterday I took my Physical, and Hair drug test, and the day before completed my background check information. My test should come back clear since I don't do any drugs, clean credit, and clean background. Now should I wait until my background information comes back? Or Should I submit my two week notice tomorrow?

I’m currently employed at Wal-Mart part time and have been since March of 2012.

The job I start on Dec 16th is my first real paying job since I graduated from college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 10:11 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
Never do it until you have a signed job offer. If it ain't on paper, it ain't an offer. *smile*

Old 11-28-2013, 10:19 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I was recently offered a job that starts on Dec 16th. Yesterday I took my Physical, and Hair drug test, and the day before completed my background check information. My test should come back clear since I don't do any drugs, clean credit, and clean background. Now should I wait until my background information comes back? Or Should I submit my two week notice tomorrow?

The job I start on Dec 16th is my first real paying job since I graduated from college.
wait until your results come back positive, this is when they will send you a contract to sign. once signed submit your resignation letter.

and just so you know, you dont have to do drugs to have a false positive come back on the drug screening.

good luck

Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM

227 posts, read 745,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Never do it until you have a signed job offer. If it ain't on paper, it ain't an offer. *smile*
I already signed the job offer.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:26 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Wait

Wait until the new employer tells you in writing that you passed the tests.
Then give notice.
You don't owe Walmart 2-week notice for a temp job.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:38 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wait until the new employer tells you in writing that you passed the tests.
Then give notice.
You don't owe Walmart 2-week notice for a temp job.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:50 PM

119 posts, read 410,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
wait until your results come back positive[...]
That would actually be "negative" as in, nothing found. A positive drug screen means they found traces of drug, and a positive (or "hit") background/credit check means they found something. It may not be disqualifying, but just that something did come up besides "clear".

I jumped around your response and was horrified that you were implying the OP may come back positive and had to wait for the letter of resignation (or quitting the job that hasnt materialized yet). My mistake for briefly scanning the response.

Back to OP's concern, as others have said, wait for the job offer. You should also let them know that you are waiting on it to provide your previous employer the customary 2 weeks' notice. This also shows the employer you would do the same for them, instead of picking up and leaving them dry. But as far as Walmart is concerned.... if you are PT, then I am sure there are no benefits to worry about. A lot of that whole 2wk hold up is to process paperwork and unpaid vacation. Assuming you dont have that, I don't think they'd care a whole lot if your 2wk notice is 1wk. Giving notice is nice of you. At my company (mostly blue collars), we're lucky if they give us 2hrs notice that they quit.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:57 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCelestina View Post
That would actually be "negative" as in, nothing found. A positive drug screen means they found traces of drug, and a positive (or "hit") background/credit check means they found something. It may not be disqualifying, but just that something did come up besides "clear".

I jumped around your response and was horrified that you were implying the OP may come back positive and had to wait for the letter of resignation (or quitting the job that hasnt materialized yet). My mistake for briefly scanning the response.

Back to OP's concern, as others have said, wait for the job offer. You should also let them know that you are waiting on it to provide your previous employer the customary 2 weeks' notice. This also shows the employer you would do the same for them, instead of picking up and leaving them dry. But as far as Walmart is concerned.... if you are PT, then I am sure there are no benefits to worry about. A lot of that whole 2wk hold up is to process paperwork and unpaid vacation. Assuming you dont have that, I don't think they'd care a whole lot if your 2wk notice is 1wk. Giving notice is nice of you. At my company (mostly blue collars), we're lucky if they give us 2hrs notice that they quit.
positive results for him, yes as in negative test results.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:03 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post

I guess it depends on how they've treated you.. Having worked for walmart, I wouldn't give them a two week.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
1-4% of drug tests are false positives. Wait until you get word that the drug test and background test have been completed.

I would give Wal-Mart 1 week notice. That's just me. Others might disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment