Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 AM

30 posts, read 68,242 times

Advertisements

Hey All,
I was curious about the recommended/average time one should stay with their current employer? I work as a software engineer/developer in the consulting industry. I've been at my current place of employment for 2 years, and am considering leaving. This is my second job out of college; the first I stayed at for 3 years. Prior to that job, I had an internship (also 2 years.) Each leveraging a different skillset or background; all within consulting.

I guess my biggest gripe is that I'm not cut out for this company's culture. I do the work well, but personally, do not look forward to coming in to work; not to mention, I can barely stand some of my co-workers.

There are so many opportunities within software engineering. I'm not sure if my qualms are with the consulting industry in general, my company, or my current project/team. Or maybe I am just too idealistic about what I should expect from something that pays the bills.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
I've known people that worked in the same company for 20+ years on various programs. I've known some that worked on the initial and multiple followon programs and I've known some that have been on the same program for 20 years. I've also known some folks who seem to move every couple years. Sometimes they seem to move in a circular tyrack ending up back where they began, sometimes they just keep moving on. the big thing is to have a reputation for completing tasks and not leving programs or coworkers in a lurch. Planning to move on when a project is changing phases and you can leave with a clear conscience and a demonstrated completion is good. Not having people find hidden loose ends after you leave is good. Other than that if it isn't a good fit for you it may be a time to move on.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
OP, your job history as shown below is fine. You can get another job now and you wouldn't be labeled as a job hopper. Actually, you might get some comments from interviewers that you are stable in your jobs.

I have seen many software engineers that average 18 months on a job. They still get offers and are still in high demand.

-2 year internship
-3 year job
-2 year job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment