Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:00 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
ROTFLMFAOPMP!!!
Exactly.
I demand someone from North America when I call customer service.
If I don't think I am speaking to an American or a Canadian, I will make believe I can't understand them (whether or not I actually can - usually I can't anyway) but I will continue to not understand until they put a freaking American or Canadian on the line.

I stand up for American jobs.
Don't you have a small local bank or credit union you can use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 12:19 PM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
What does that have to do with the fact that American jobs are being sent overseas? That's what this small subsection of the thread is referring to - oldtrader's claim that jobs aren't being outsourced abroad, or that more of them are being created in the US.

In other words, I wasn't talking about the call center for my bank (I use two, and both have their call centers in the US). I was talking about the call center for a whole lot of other things. Even a huge department of the supply-chain company I used to work for, which sourced American-made items for other American manufacturing plants, was in India.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:01 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
This was general, not just referring to any bank I might call.

I currently bank with a large, national bank...I started banking with them for no better reason than the fact that they gave me a car loan when nobody else would.

Now I'm in the market for my first house. And I'm a difficult person to write a mortgage for, because of my unique situation, being self-employed. My future looks brighter than my past...but even my past is not bad, I have a credit score that proves this.

The fact is, before the bust...banks would have been falling all over themselves to wrote me paper. I'm a good risk. But these new regulations and gun-shy lenders are making things difficult for me.

So I may end up changing banks in the near future. Because the lender who makes me happy now - will have my business and my business' business....for years to come. If you can dig it.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
ROTFLMFAOPMP!!!
Exactly.
I demand someone from North America when I call customer service.
If I don't think I am speaking to an American or a Canadian, I will make believe I can't understand them (whether or not I actually can - usually I can't anyway) but I will continue to not understand until they put a freaking American or Canadian on the line.

I stand up for American jobs.
A very good, and legitimate way to do that is say I don't feel comfortable giving my SS# so someone in the Philippines............US laws don't protect us there if a call center agent overseas steals your SS# or other personal information.

I have asked countless people this exact question and no one can/will answer it.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
How is this different than ANY customer service oriented position? Our economic milieu is orienting toward simple customer service work, with few opportunities for advancement. It's no surprise that people at the bottom who do not have an opportunity to move up end up on social assistance programs.
I don't think the point was that it was different; I think he's pointing out that people actually do work for banks, and that they're financially insecure. America's primarily a service-based economy now, so people need to think about this carefully before they flippantly respond with "Well, so what - lots of service jobs pay peanuts."

Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Sacredgrooves, you subscribe to the same business philosophy as I do.

Nice to see another small businessperson who shares my philosophy. The higher pay will pay for itself in the increased success of my business in terms of customer satisfaction equals referrals equals more work for everyone.

Glad to see, also, someone who shares the same view of immigration and H1b's as I do.

Would like to see our schools stop lowering the bar until everyone can jump over it. Set the bar where it needs to be to produce success in life - and hold back those who do not meet that bar. In the long run, you are doing them more favors holding them back...than passing them onto the next level - which they are not ready for.

"Social Promotion" should be a thing of the past. If a kid needs to stay in second grade until he's thirteen, then so be it.
First you need to pay for decent teachers,,, they make " S**''T" and the whole of education sucks... there are some good teacher but they are maxed out buying supplies and fighting the world just to teach your brats, some ABC's- who stands up for them? ah the UNIONS oh no can't have them= bla bla. Politicians are playing patty cake with life issues and people too un-interested to see or care whats going on.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
First you need to pay for decent teachers,,, they make " S**''T" and the whole of education sucks... there are some good teacher but they are maxed out buying supplies and fighting the world just to teach your brats, some ABC's- who stands up for them? ah the UNIONS oh no can't have them= bla bla. Politicians are playing patty cake with life issues and people too un-interested to see or care whats going on.
No kidding.
Because it isn't IMMEDIATELY ENTERTAINING...people don't care or pay attention. And then wonder why their life sucks.

Just keep watching American Idol, folks! Don't get educated and informed.

This is what your overlords want.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:55 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The correct answer is have kids and be dependent on government to help you. The earned income credit is public assistance IMO
In a way people like me without kids and that work are the ones that are getting screwed. The system does nothing for us...absolutely nothing. I don't have health insurance so if I broke a leg or something I would be in big trouble. Meanwhile people that smoke like a chimney and live in government assistance housing and don't want to work have it made.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
In a way people like me without kids and that work are the ones that are getting screwed. The system does nothing for us...absolutely nothing. I don't have health insurance so if I broke a leg or something I would be in big trouble. Meanwhile people that smoke like a chimney and live in government assistance housing and don't want to work have it made.
Government has always engaged in "social engineering." You are supposed to be motivated to get married and have children to continue the human race. They seem to think we won't do it naturally, unless we are rewarded for doing it....and punished for not doing it.

And, no...people who live in government assistance housing and smoke like chimneys don't have it made. Would you REALLY want to live as they do? How about you try it for just a month?

P.S. I remember when Jane Byrne, then-mayor of the City of Chicago...said she would live for one month in Cabrini Green, the notorious projects in Chicago...which, by the way, no longer even exist. She lasted three weeks. And that long only because she had bodyguards, Chicago Police, and her husband there with her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini%E2%80%93Green

Old 12-11-2013, 12:14 PM

53 posts, read 83,366 times
Bank tellers are asked to perform marketing and administrative tasks because most traditional teller functions are being replaced by automation. If you cannot handle marketing duties without feeling pressured, your career options are limited in any profession. In addition, advancement always demands using a position to learn multiple aspects of how the business operates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment