Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,521,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I was never robbed when I was a teller, but some idiot decided to try to rob the Brinks guy with a taser. The guy tasered the Brinks guy who pulled his gun and shot the would be robber dead.
Don't bring a taser to a gun fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,672,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I once made $36,000 a year working at minimum wage and I did it for three years. Need I say more? I don't feel sorry for bank tellers. Get another job, work more hours, or take a second job. I'm so sick of cry babies demanding more money to sit and text and gossip and whine...
I am tired of people telling low wage earners to get a second or third job. Do you realize how dangerous this is for all of us to have sleep deprived people handling money and driving?

Old 12-15-2013, 12:19 PM

914 posts, read 944,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I am tired of people telling low wage earners to get a second or third job. Do you realize how dangerous this is for all of us to have sleep deprived people handling money and driving?
They don't care.
But they'll be the first to scream to put someone in jail when they kill THEIR loved ones in an accident caused by sleep deprivation.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:29 AM

26,702 posts, read 41,836,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Oh yeah, and like getting a second and third job is easy these days anyway.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hell...like getting a FIRST job is easy these days.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,813,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
They don't care.
But they'll be the first to scream to put someone in jail when they kill THEIR loved ones in an accident caused by sleep deprivation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Hell...like getting a FIRST job is easy these days.
Behold the baby boomer bootstrapper sermon!!! For they shall tell thou..Just Work Harder!!!

Because they did it back in 1965 and it worked for them. After all.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Behold the baby boomer bootstrapper sermon!!! For they shall tell thou..Just Work Harder!!!

Because they did it back in 1965 and it worked for them. After all.

Yup. But this is a very different world. And a very different economy.
They think the answers that worked for them, in that world...will work in this one, and they won't and don't.

They act as if anyone could just pick up and start working - forget the fact you have to actually convince someone to hire you first.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 AM

9,019 posts, read 13,878,471 times
There is nothing wrong with getting a second job.
I do it,and many nurses do it.
I don't feel sleep deprived if I work 60 hrs a week.

Back in the day in the 1800's,people that worked on farms worked over 12 hrs a day.

I am 31 btw,not some oldie.

I don't get it. If you want something,like food to eat,why not work extra?
If I didn't have a second job I would be on food stamps,living in the ghetto.
I wouldn't get food stamps to be honest,and I would be $1000 over the limit.
So the other alternative would be starve.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:19 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,442,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
There is nothing wrong with getting a second job.
I do it,and many nurses do it.
I don't feel sleep deprived if I work 60 hrs a week.

Back in the day in the 1800's,people that worked on farms worked over 12 hrs a day.

I am 31 btw,not some oldie.

I don't get it. If you want something,like food to eat,why not work extra?
If I didn't have a second job I would be on food stamps,living in the ghetto.
I wouldn't get food stamps to be honest,and I would be $1000 over the limit.
So the other alternative would be starve.
There is an extremely short list of jobs that allow you to work a second job. Most jobs require you to be available at any time to work. If you tell your manager that you cant make the 2nd shift he needs you for because you have another job, theyll tell you to hit the road. Your first job would have to have set hours and never require you to work outside of those hours. Then your second job would have to also have set hours, but on a different shift. Then you have to be able to have the health conditions that allow you to operate on 5 hours of sleep long term.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
There is an extremely short list of jobs that allow you to work a second job. Most jobs require you to be available at any time to work. If you tell your manager that you cant make the 2nd shift he needs you for because you have another job, theyll tell you to hit the road. Your first job would have to have set hours and never require you to work outside of those hours. Then your second job would have to also have set hours, but on a different shift. Then you have to be able to have the health conditions that allow you to operate on 5 hours of sleep long term.
Exactly.

Now, in my late 20's - when I first moved to Texas, I was working three jobs. BUT...it was a serious juggling act to do this.

I had an early-morning newspaper route. This never interfered with anything but sleep.
I had a day job at an answering service. The hours on this varied, but within a regular range...some days I was in at noon out at nine other days, I was in at six out at two...so there was not a ton of regularity.

The third job, however, was doing market-research surveys in the mall...and I was able to do that one on an "as able to" basis, as long as the mall was open, and I felt like doing it. As long as I met my quotas, I was okay. So, of course, on the days when I got out of the regular job at two...I had loads of time to do the surveys...other days, not so much.

But I was working, eating, and occasionally sleeping and that was it. My entire life.

And this was in the mid-late 1990's when jobs were plentiful.

People here seem to constantly act as if you could just pick up and start working at something, anything, and someone will pay you for it...they forget the part about having to convince someone else to hire you....and, of course, the ability to schedule in such a way that the two jobs never conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment