Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:32 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
$100k a year is a lot of money in rural America. Its nothing in New York city, even if you are single. I don't think its enough for a family of 4 in most cities. I'd want my wife to work if I was married with kids and making anything under $150k.
Ouch! I just checked. After taxes, it's $65,944.60! WOWZA!

And in Texas, it's $71,672.75! But then again, there isn't a state income tax.
In California, $63,472.14!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:34 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Ouch! I just checked. After taxes, it's $65,944.60! WOWZA!

And in Texas, it's $71,672.75!
In California, $63,472.14!
Does that seem like a lot to you? I live in Oklahoma now, and if I could, I'd go to Texas. However, the savings in State tax would be lost and then some on the cost of living in Dallas, for example. You really have to run the numbers.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,914 times
Quote:
Does that seem like a lot to you? I live in Oklahoma now, and if I could, I'd go to Texas. However, the savings in State tax would be lost and then some on the cost of living in Dallas, for example. You really have to run the numbers.
Does it seem like a lot? Yes, compared to me be a college student who makes $4k a year.

When I'm done with school, I'd like to move to Houston. I won't be done until 2018, and I'm hoping the COL is the similar to the way it is now. They kill you in property tax. I'm used to a 6% sales tax, because that's what it is in Atlanta (where I live).

Old 12-16-2013, 06:47 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Does it seem like a lot? Yes, compared to me be a college student who makes $4k a year.

When I'm done with school, I'd like to move to Houston. I won't be done until 2018, and I'm hoping the COL is the similar to the way it is now. They kill you in property tax. I'm used to a 6% sales tax, because that's what it is in Atlanta (where I live).
I used to live in Atlanta and miss it so much. Been in Oklahoma a year. Yeah, you probably don't have a full understanding of how much money you need to live on just yet. I know when I was in college, I had no clue what it really took to get ahead financially, or even how much I needed for the basics. Of course, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and you're older and in college. You're in poverty now, so of course it seems like a lot.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,411,044 times
Wow, I am so tired of people complaining about making $100,000. It might not go as far as it did 20 years ago, but it's still a really good salary. So many people right now would kill to make that kind of salary. I live in Chicago and make quite a bit less than that, but somehow am still able to live a very comfortable life. If I made six figures, I could buy pretty much anything I wanted. Only Americans would whine about making $100,000. Sheesh.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:11 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,119,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Wow, I am so tired of people complaining about making $100,000. It might not go as far as it did 20 years ago, but it's still a really good salary. So many people right now would kill to make that kind of salary. I live in Chicago and make quite a bit less than that, but somehow am still able to live a very comfortable life. If I made six figures, I could buy pretty much anything I wanted. Only Americans would whine about making $100,000. Sheesh.
Agreed. When I was making $60k and my wife $50k with no kids, we had a large, newer home, 3 cars, and plenty of money to go out whenever we wanted. This is in the Dallas area.

I'm in my mid 30's. Only a handful of the people I grew up with are making 6 figures. One is a Dr, one has an MBA from SMU and is still paying off student loans, a couple others got into IT fields in their infancy and now are IT managers/directors, etc.

Statistically, only 20% of households make over 100k a year. For single earners, it's obviously even less. What this information means however, is that with a 100k income, what you can buy/afford is decidedly middle class. And if a 100k household income is middle class, and only 1 in 5 households is at that level or higher... It's easy to see why the middle class is shrinking and the gap between poor and rich widening.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:16 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,747,284 times
Quote:
I used to live in Atlanta and miss it so much. Been in Oklahoma a year. Yeah, you probably don't have a full understanding of how much money you need to live on just yet. I know when I was in college, I had no clue what it really took to get ahead financially, or even how much I needed for the basics. Of course, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and you're older and in college. You're in poverty now, so of course it seems like a lot.
what took you to okc of all places? oil job?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 PM

3,936 posts, read 6,852,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
You make 83k a year and live with FIVE room mates? How much money do you save per month if any?
I am only 25 BTW. I save 6% post tax in a 401K. Then lately not a whole lot because I have been paying down my student loans. I've cut out 7K in student loans the past 6 months. With any remaining money going into investments (stocks). I would say around $1,200 per month in value each month. But not liquid cash.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 PM

615 posts, read 1,383,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I am only 25 BTW. I save 6% post tax in a 401K. Then lately not a whole lot because I have been paying down my student loans. I've cut out 7K in student loans the past 6 months. With any remaining money going into investments (stocks). I would say around $1,200 per month in value each month. But not liquid cash.

What do you do?

What degree do you have and where did you get it?

Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,713,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
One thing that sticks with me is my coworker who makes a slightly above average salary (I'd say 75k) and drives a brand new Mercedes that retails at 40k+. She complains to no end about her health insurance costs, and her daughter who demands name brand clothing. The daughter is 7.
Wait until she has to pay to have repair work done on that Mercedes. She will sell it so fast it will blow the doors off. Driving a new Mercedes is nice. Driving one after the warranty expires is not so nice. European cars are very expensive to maintain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment