Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:43 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
But education is easy to quantify..it's a degree. Training is quantified as what now? How many businesses do things 100% the same as another? It wasn't that long ago that businesses would train people in skills that had pretty much a universal use. Now that's not the case. IBM, Apple and Microsoft do things totally different from one another. Experience in one is not valid to the other. Some businesses might use sigma six others might use TQM or Management by walking around etc. Go to a book store and ask to see business books and see all the trends that have come and gone it's like fashion but with finance!

Not to use an old apple slogan but if you can think differently and be able to apply what you learned in a major to apply to different subjects then it can be sold.
Yes, the idea that employers want education AND training from a new college graduate in nonsensical. I have degrees in science (BS, MS) and business (BS) and have held jobs in both fields. Not one of my degrees sent me "trained" to any of my employers. THEY trained me on the procedures they used. Furthermore, once you've been out of school for any length of time, the technology changes so fast that even in the same job you often need further on-the-job training. My last contract with a state agency required me to use GIS software that didn't even exist when I was a undergraduate science student doing chemistry and physics homework with a slide rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 09:02 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
I have no idea. I don't even know how or why people get generic degrees. Then again, people think my degree (speech therapy) is too specific. And they do have a point! If I hate speech therapy, I'm pretty much stuck.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:43 AM

53 posts, read 83,366 times
I've found that almost everything people learn in college is unrelated to most jobs in the majority of industries.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,989 times
My friend, a fellow recent grad landed an interview at Progressive Insurance, for an entry-level underwriter position. He's an English major, and this position states: "Requirements - A major in Economics, Finance, Insurance, Risk Management, & Related Degrees. My friend is now wondering if the company recruiter had a brain fart or if he actually stands a good chance.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:54 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
My friend, a fellow recent grad landed an interview at Progressive Insurance, for an entry-level underwriter position. He's an English major, and this position states: "Requirements - A major in Economics, Finance, Insurance, Risk Management, & Related Degrees. My friend is now wondering if the company recruiter had a brain fart or if he actually stands a good chance.
Half the battle these days is just getting your foot in the door. I work for a company that makes financial software.

I have an econ degree and worked in IT call center for a few years. Most of my colleagues have master's degrees and are local - I have neither. I convinced the onsite manager that I was the guy for the job, and once I had his trust, my actual manager just basically took his word for it.

The job is not technically difficult. Granted, it's different than other things I've done, but after ten weeks, I'm proficient enough to do most everything on my own. Many jobs are not that technically difficult, yet employers expect God himself to fill that role.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:50 AM

514 posts, read 764,588 times
I got a degree in economics, but now work in software development. The latter tends to be a field that attracts and allows for transitioning from a number of different backgrounds (I work with people who majored in everything from mathematics to business to biology to computer science). The reason for this is that the software development cycle has become applied to nearly every industry and function of life, and as a result there is a strong need for people who can understand how software works to provide solutions in a diverse range of applications. In this sense, the SDLC needs not just great developers but people who understand the needs of stakeholders -- i.e a biology major might make a great fit on a software project team tasked with developing a product to support a biotech company, as that person might have a more intimate understanding of the scope of the software and how it will work to impact its customers.

If this sounds like the thing for you, I suggest that you READ everything you can. Pick up a book on SQL (database programming language). It is used in nearly every analyst role I have encountered in the last decade. Not only is it useful, it tends to be a rare skill-set among non-devs, and as a result businessestend to put a premium on your application if you know it. By learning SQL and reading up on SDLC methodologies, you might get enough basic knowledge to get a BA role on an IT team.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Half the battle these days is just getting your foot in the door. I work for a company that makes financial software.

I have an econ degree and worked in IT call center for a few years. Most of my colleagues have master's degrees and are local - I have neither. I convinced the onsite manager that I was the guy for the job, and once I had his trust, my actual manager just basically took his word for it.

The job is not technically difficult. Granted, it's different than other things I've done, but after ten weeks, I'm proficient enough to do most everything on my own. Many jobs are not that technically difficult, yet employers expect God himself to fill that role.
With the job market that is today, we both were surprised he was invited since a big company like progressive can be very nit-picky and actually have a large enough talent pool to bring on their desired majors. But he did graduate from a very high ranked school though...

Old 06-21-2014, 10:36 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
An English major could get jobs for writing in any sector really though that person would start from the bottom. English majors from Ivy League schools have been recruited by Wall St. firms quite a bit .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment