Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 PM

701 posts, read 1,691,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'd be surprised if some of them don't already. I take my niece to the library all the time to do research for school. The level of knowledge these librarians have on topics and their ability find information in books is impressive. They can even name industry experts to look up and pretty much steer you in the right direction. Librarians are very knowledgeable.
Many (including myself) do. It just depends. I happen to be an academic librarian who originally entered grad school to be a professor, and then decided I didn't like teaching (or dealing with the rat race that is the tenure process). So I got my MLS in addition to my PhD and got a library job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:39 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'd be surprised if some of them don't already. I take my niece to the library all the time to do research for school. The level of knowledge these librarians have on topics and their ability find information in books is impressive. They can even name industry experts to look up and pretty much steer you in the right direction. Librarians are very knowledgeable.
Yep. It would be real useful too.

Before the days of Google.

I've been to the library countless times to do both personal research, graduate school research, and career research, and I've never had to ask the librarian anything.

Everything is in e-Catalog, and if I need research papers, they are all online. I even asked one of my professors once if he could give me a Journal listing, and he said most of it is online.

If it were 1988, I'd be harassing the librarian nonstop for journal listings, cross listings for subjects, and which libraries carry which book (another thing you can look up online).

If I want to read a book on the Biography of Millard Fillmore... I just looked it up. It took me 10 seconds and I know exactly which library has it, which shelf it will be on.

I think it's really funny when the parents come in and are like "My son has to do a book report on the life cycle of the mollusk. Can you help me?" It's cute to me.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
As far as I know, the MLIS degree has been around for a long time. It's only recently that librarians seem to be regarded by the general public as unnecessary, not needing any special training.
Personally, I'm just frustrated with the level of specialization employers are demanding for nearly EVERYTHING, without commensurate income for experience.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Personally, I'm just frustrated with the level of specialization employers are demanding for nearly EVERYTHING, without commensurate income for experience.
You obviously haven't been paying attention. Behold the bootstrapper sermon! For they shall tell thou - "Sorry, you just need to work harder after all it worked for us in 1965".

Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You obviously haven't been paying attention. Behold the bootstrapper sermon! For they shall tell thou - "Sorry, you just need to work harder after all it worked for us in 1965".
Yes, when wages were higher, taxes were lower, and hardly anyone had a college degree. Work harder to insanity-- that's the NEW American way.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
yeah ok just don't take it out on librarians, its a traditional field with a traditional long withstanding degree. Librarians have their own struggles staying relevant and keeping with the new technologies, don't need the heckling from threads like this.

Go pick on something newer that fits the bill, like, I don't know MBA's and project managers.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 AM

473 posts, read 796,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
How many people do you think might die if a librarian made a mistake at work? And since you brought it up? Why does a lawyer need an advanced degree - other than to be an exclusive member of the club? How many of the activities of non-criminal lawyers are so critical that I need to have one represent me, as opposed to bob next door who is great at doing paperwork and researching processes and would be happy to do that work for a tenth of what a paper-pushing exorbitant fee charging lawyer does?

If he missed something maybe I won't hire bob again, but if he can do all that a lawyer can, just as well, i'd be happy to have him represent me at my closing, or in small claims, or similar situations. You do realize software will make most lawyers obsolete soon.
Lol ok If you think that all non-criminal defense attorneys do is fill out simple paperwork, I am not sure there is much hope for you lol. When you get divorced and it is contested, do you want a formally trained lawyer who will try every legal tactic to try and get you your fair share? Or Bob next door to file a few documents and hope for the best?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:14 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
Lol ok If you think that all non-criminal defense attorneys do is fill out simple paperwork, I am not sure there is much hope for you lol. When you get divorced and it is contested, do you want a formally trained lawyer who will try every legal tactic to try and get you your fair share? Or Bob next door to file a few documents and hope for the best?
You don't get it... What is it that a "trained" lawyer can do that someone who has studied books of law can't do?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I skimmed through this thread here & there.

So, my next question is...what's the salary for a librarian? Since one needs a Masters, it better be at least $50K.
Depends on where you work and what kind of librarian you are! I make a little over $60K as a public librarian in the Bay Area... national averages for a public librarian are more like $40K, even lower in some regions and in school libraries. Then you have the managers who can make over $100K, and corporate/law/etc positions which are somewhere in the middle.

So it pays okay, but not as much as other graduate-level professional jobs (i.e. engineer or lawyer). Funny thing is, people still accuse us lowly public librarians of making too much.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:35 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
You don't get it... What is it that a "trained" lawyer can do that someone who has studied books of law can't do?
Why don't you go read some law books, fake your way into a job (like "Catch me if you Can"), and then get back to us...

As I've said a bunch of times, it isn't that these things can't be learned independently - it's that learning it in an intensive 2-3 year program is more cost & time-effective for everyone involved. I certainly don't have the time to teach a HS/college graduate how to be a librarian, and it would cost my employers too much to have us do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment