Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM

58 posts, read 141,161 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I graduated college in Hawaii last year with my bachelor's degree in programming. Ever since then, I just been doing my own things like creating a software company. I would like to look for a job now and I will need to move from Hawaii (Since I can't find my C# programming jobs here).

I am actually looking forward to moving to mainland. I had few job offers before that said they will not provide relocation assistance, so I declined. Now, I am coming to a realization that barely any jobs will pay for relocation, especially for someone who just graduated.

With all that said, how should this process work? This is what I have in mind, please add your suggestions below.

1. Do a video interview and have them accept me in to the workforce.
2. While still in Hawaii, call around the places near the job, try to talk to them about renting? or should I go stay at a hotel first and THEN try to call around places?
3. Buy a plane ticket, fly to the area, move into hotel or the place you're wanting to rent.

Is that all there is to it? I am in a budget also.

Any help or tips on this is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I graduated college in Hawaii last year with my bachelor's degree in programming. Ever since then, I just been doing my own things like creating a software company. I would like to look for a job now and I will need to move from Hawaii (Since I can't find my C# programming jobs here).

I am actually looking forward to moving to mainland. I had few job offers before that said they will not provide relocation assistance, so I declined. Now, I am coming to a realization that barely any jobs will pay for relocation, especially for someone who just graduated.

With all that said, how should this process work? This is what I have in mind, please add your suggestions below.

2. While still in Hawaii, call around the places near the job, try to talk to them about renting? or should I go stay at a hotel first and THEN try to call around places?
3. Buy a plane ticket, fly to the area, move into hotel or the place you're wanting to rent.

Are you single without children or pets? If so, find a room rental at airbnb.com for a month instead of finding a place to rent sight unseen. It should be a lot cheaper than staying at a hotel too. I really don't like renting a place without seeing it first. Also, if you're unfamiliar with the city you are moving to, you will want some time to find a neighborhood that suits your needs/wants.

It's great that you want to find a job before moving. Also, never expect a company to pay for your expenses for moving unless you have years of experience and are getting a high paying job. It's great if they will, but it likely won't happen.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:01 PM

Yes, I am single without children or pets. That was a great idea on airbnb! I was thinking of maybe also contacting people from craigslist and maybe rent a room for a month, they had pretty cheap ones.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Getting an offer before moving would of course be the best circumstance. However, I can't see anyone offering you a position without you having at least one face to face interview but if you're awesome enough to make that happen, then great: secure the job, the rest of it is fun...take a trip, stay at a hotel for a week or two and find a place.

If the process is more normal and they want to meet you before maknig an offer then I would do my darndest to line up as many interviews as possible in the amount of time you'll be in the area. While there, check out some neighborhoods.

Best of luck.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
I'm writing this NOT to solicit business, but to describe my experience with Airbnb.

I have been renting out a room in our home using airbnb for the last year and a half. I love it. Airbnb acts as a third party in the transaction so your contact info (theirs and yours) remains private until a reservation agreement is met.

Of course, you get to find out the general area of the property and usually there are many pictures of the property before you commit... plus the ability to email back and forth with specific questions - usually about arrival time and airport pick-up, if requested, using airbnb's private inbox. Airbnb requires that you verify your identity with THEM (keeps it private). They also require that potential guests also verify their identity WITH THEM so that there is a certain level of protection for both parties.

After your stay, you have the opportunity to review your experience, and so does your host. We have had no safety issues with anyone...

One cool thing about the flexibility of Airbnb is that you can stay a few nights in one area and then try out another... usually fairly inexpensively and you get the benefit of the host's knowledge of that area. I think it can shorten the learning curve when people visit... especially if they are looking to live in a particular area.

Craigslist has listings, but there are no checks and balances of safety or security for what you get.

Oh, and we've also allowed some of our guests to use our address as they searched for employment.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM

Now that you mention it, that could be a really big problem. I only have like $4k saved up. I think that will be enough for 1 or 2 trip max. There is no way I will be able to go to the job field, JUST for an interview.

How would you solve this type of issues?

@gypsydoc, yea, I am liking airbnb from the looks of it. I only said craigslist, JUST in case there are no suitable match in Airbnb.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,348 times
Quote:
Yes, I am single without children or pets. That was a great idea on airbnb! I was thinking of maybe also contacting people from craigslist and maybe rent a room for a month, they had pretty cheap ones.
Craigslist is hit or miss when it comes to room rentals. Whenever I tell people I'm moving, they either ignore me or just let me know to call them once I moved. What sets airbnb apart is that you know you're renting from a quality home owners based on reviews. And while you won't have any reviews since this may be your first rental, you'll be able to get personal reviews from friends, co-workers, even landlords if you prefer. I like it because it's safe, and you even get to meet great people.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,580 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

If you have Skype, it might be useful in the initial stages... I do agree that lining up as many face to face interviews is important.

When you do get your job, you may consider selling most or all of your stuff rather than shipping it here. There is a ton of basic furniture, clothes, vehicles on Craigslist that can get you by for awhile.
Best wishes

Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Sorry to bring up another question, but I was wondering if the employer said "Okay, we're ready to have you" or something like that and is asking you to come down to start working, do you ask them for it in writing?

Like, I don't want to have them say yes, and then I move there within 2 weeks and they just changed their mind. Is that possible? What should I do to remedy that.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:26 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Hi everyone,

1. Do a video interview and have them accept me in to the workforce. Probably the best way to start.
2. While still in Hawaii, call around the places near the job, try to talk to them about renting? or should I go stay at a hotel first and THEN try to call around places? Wait until you get a job before worrying about this.
3. Buy a plane ticket, fly to the area, move into hotel or the place you're wanting to rent. Wait until you get a job before worrying about this.

With these last two posts you're putting the cart before the horse. Land a job before worrying about moving somewhere.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment