Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 03:30 PM

79 posts, read 204,015 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I left a stressful job that was making me sick. It was the first time I had ever left a job without having something else lined up. I was to the point where I couldn't sleep at night because I was so stressed about going into work the next day. I rarely enjoyed what little free time I had because I was constantly worrying. I'd finally had enough and decided that I had to leave. I could feel such a massive burden lifted as I walked out of the building on my last day. I literally had a smile on my face.

Fast forward a few months and I feel much better in terms of my health. However, I'm now starting to worry about my future. I'm in my mid-30s and in an industry that doesn't offer a lot of employment options—and an industry that seems to be better suited for those in their 20s.

Fortunately, I was able to save up enough to last me another 7 or 8 months, so I do have a little breathing room but I'm still quite worried as I'm not seeing many jobs out there at all.

It's also worth mentioning that my confidence really took a beating with this last job. I'm constantly doubting my abilities now and I feel so timid about the idea of being back in an office. I literally feel as though I might not be capable of holding down a job again, and that really scares me. The thing is, I never felt that way until this last job. I always felt I was a good employee who picked up on things fairly easily. Now I have this constant feeling that I'm unable to be an asset to anyone.

All in all, I have no regrets about leaving my old job. As bad as things are now, I know it would have been worse. I don't think my health would have held up much longer had I stayed. I'm just wondering if anyone has had these feelings after leaving a job? Any tips for getting over this and gaining some confidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
Can you find contract work in your field? Something short-term? I had to leave a job for health reasons once, and was really unsure that I could physically work long days after getting back into better health. I also felt rusty, and my previous experience had taken me in a direction I didn't want my career to go. When I was ready to go back to work, the first position I was offered happened to be a contract job. It was the perfect way to get back into the swing of things, and I found myself completely rejuvenated with a new love of my profession. About a month later I took a full-time position with them and worked there for the next 5 years.

This might also be a good time to decide if you still do love your field. Maybe you want to look into going a different direction. A contract job could also help you find that out. Might also consider talking to a counselor and getting some perspective on your emotional state with regards to the wringer your old job put you through. It's a bit like an abusive relationship - maybe not with someone you're intimately involved with, but it can still really mess you up. It's not you, and it wasn't your imagination. A counselor can help you put some of that self-doubt to rest.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
Could you look through temp agencies that specialize in your field? They might be able to help you find something.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:13 PM

79 posts, read 204,015 times
I think contract work might be a good way to get back into the swing of things. I work in digital media -- mostly writing and editing, with some tech skills thrown into the mix. I honestly don't know if there's a big demand for contract workers in this field, but it's certainly worth taking a look.

Also a good point about whether or not I even like this field. It's just something I've done for years so I always go back to it, but I honestly don't know if I have much desire to continue on in this field. I really don't want to go back to school and take on more student loans at my age either.

Definitely worth taking another look at contract work though. In a fantasy world, I'd love to just work from home for a year or so.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:41 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euroblue View Post
A few months ago I left a stressful job that was making me sick.
Would you like some work in sales?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment