Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 11:43 AM

109 posts, read 234,309 times

Advertisements

how can you tell? what does it need to show/provide you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM

17,652 posts, read 15,346,122 times
To me, one of the best signs is an involved owner. If you're working for a small business and the owner is absent.. Not a good sign.

I've worked for big companies and small businesses.. Currently working with a small business.. And I will say that I've enjoyed working for the small businesses more. The benefits are usually a little less, but it's generally a more pleasant environment.

The current small business I work for has the best health insurance of any company, large or small, that i've worked for. Vacation is on the lower-end side (2 weeks a year). Communication and culture is great, because.. Something needs to be done, the person who gives approval is right down the hall. None of that pass it up the chain and every one of the 50 "Vice Presidents" having to put their stamp on it..Pay is actually better than the larger companies, but don't see the big yearly bonuses, so, it about evens out.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM

109 posts, read 234,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
To me, one of the best signs is an involved owner. If you're working for a small business and the owner is absent.. Not a good sign.
thanks labonte18, i agree there has to be communication.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,664,651 times
The financials, sites like Manta are a good start. You can usually find out if it has received funding through business news articles. Dun & Bradstreet, S&P can provide you with the health of the company most of the time. If your state business division is online, you can get any annual reports and corp filings they've done.

Also go to LinkedIn and do a search by the job title you are interviewing for to find out if the position is stable or a revolving door. Many people in the same role in a short period in time, run.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
bek if hey are willing to pay you you should be willing to do what they ask?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM

29,857 posts, read 24,978,977 times
How do you know if a large business is worth working for?

In both cases, I consider the wage/benefits offered. If they do not meet or exceed my expectations, I move along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I've worked for big companies and small businesses.. Currently working with a small business.. And I will say that I've enjoyed working for the small businesses more. The benefits are usually a little less, but it's generally a more pleasant environment.

The current small business I work for has the best health insurance of any company, large or small, that i've worked for. Vacation is on the lower-end side (2 weeks a year). Communication and culture is great, because.. Something needs to be done, the person who gives approval is right down the hall. None of that pass it up the chain and every one of the 50 "Vice Presidents" having to put their stamp on it..Pay is actually better than the larger companies, but don't see the big yearly bonuses, so, it about evens out.
This mirrors my experience. At my current job (small business of 9 employees), we do not contribute towards our health insurance costs. The downside is we don't get much in the way of vacation days, but the bonuses (2 annual) have been the best I have seen. I've worked for a diverse mix of large, medium and small businesses, and generally speaking, my current job has been the most enjoyable. Perhaps the only downside is there is more responsibility placed on each individual employee, and the success of the business hinges on our individual effort.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,577,973 times
I currently work for a small to midsize company. I gotta say that the benefits here is best I've ever had. While the company doesn't have a group plan and you have to go out and get an individual plan on your own, the company will pay 100% of the bill. So, i went out and got the best plan I could find and every month I just email the corporate office the bill and they take care of it.

Aside from the police department I worked for a number of years ago, this would be the first company I worked for that gives me a car to drive to the office. They also reimburse me for the gas each month.

Vacation is ok. Not too good, not too bad.

On the other hand, I've known some big companies that employ thousands of people but gives them crappy benefits.

So, it really depends. Small to midsize companies can be better to work for than big companies.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 AM

53 posts, read 83,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I currently work for a small to midsize company. I gotta say that the benefits here is best I've ever had. While the company doesn't have a group plan and you have to go out and get an individual plan on your own, the company will pay 100% of the bill. So, i went out and got the best plan I could find and every month I just email the corporate office the bill and they take care of it.
Unfotunately, employer reimbursements for individual health insurance plans are no longer allowed as of January 1, 2014.

Regarding the original question of "how do you know if a small business is worth working for", I can only say that if anyone uncovers an infallible solution I am happy to nominate them for the Nobel Prize in economics.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,577,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceWriter View Post
Unfotunately, employer reimbursements for individual health insurance plans are no longer allowed as of January 1, 2014.
Why is it not allowed anymore?

Also, it's not that my company reimburses me. They pay directly to the insurance company. What I do is I fax the corporate office the bill every month when I get them and they would pay the insurance company directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment