Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,529 times

Advertisements

I've been in my current job since I graduated from college in 2006. I have moved up a little but I have no desire to make this my "career". I just don't have the passion. There is opportunity to make more money but it means doing stuff I have no passion for and don't really like. I'm reaching the point where I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my life and my youth at this job. On top of that.. I believe the company is a sinking ship. Good people are leaving and management is erratic and implosive. I give the company 3 or 4 years before things get really bad.

Anyway, I want to change careers and I believe based on my degree, work experience and passions.. the best career for me is Market Research Analyst. I've spent over a year researching different careers to find something I can be passionate about AND good at, without just chasing after money. Market Research Analyst seems like the best choice.

I'm interested in anyone who is currently in this field and I would like to know how you got the job and how much you like it. I'm also interested in day-to-day work environment, stress and advancement opportunities.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
I've never been a Market Research Analyst. However, I can pretty much assure you that there will be mundane parts of the job that will challenge your "passion" for the job. Just be aware.

What if you get an assignment researching a silly consumer product. Will you still feel like you are wasting your life?

Life is bigger than the jobs we have.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've never been a Market Research Analyst. However, I can pretty much assure you that there will be mundane parts of the job that will challenge your "passion" for the job. Just be aware.

What if you get an assignment researching a silly consumer product. Will you still feel like you are wasting your life?

Life is bigger than the jobs we have.
You're right. But even with mundane assignments like that, I would still have more passion than I do at my current job where passion is close to zero. I have no interest at all in what I'm doing now.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:49 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,079,872 times
I'm a senior market research analyst for a $2 billion company. I've been doing it for about a year and I do really like it. I'm not sure what kind of "market research analyst" you are thinking of, but in my job "market" may have a different meaning that what it is for some other type of business. We build homes so in my job it's the geographic market and demographics of potential homebuyers that we are looking at. I then run a bunch of analyses using complicated Excel spreadsheets in order to make recommendations of where we should build, what we should build, and how much. I have a lot of input into strategic decisions that impact the company. With that does come some stress in that you have a lot of pressure to make sure that all of the data you are using and what you are presenting is accurate, and sometime there are tight deadlines so that decisions can be made when they need to be made. That said, overall it's a good environment. You work with a lot of different sources of data and if you like numbers and analytical type work then it's a great job for you. The pay is pretty decent, as well. Work culture really depends on the company you work for. Some will be more relaxed about dress, time off, etc, than others. Mine is pretty rigid about appearances but very forgiving when it comes to work/life balance.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I'm a senior market research analyst for a $2 billion company. I've been doing it for about a year and I do really like it. I'm not sure what kind of "market research analyst" you are thinking of, but in my job "market" may have a different meaning that what it is for some other type of business. We build homes so in my job it's the geographic market and demographics of potential homebuyers that we are looking at. I then run a bunch of analyses using complicated Excel spreadsheets in order to make recommendations of where we should build, what we should build, and how much. I have a lot of input into strategic decisions that impact the company. With that does come some stress in that you have a lot of pressure to make sure that all of the data you are using and what you are presenting is accurate, and sometime there are tight deadlines so that decisions can be made when they need to be made. That said, overall it's a good environment. You work with a lot of different sources of data and if you like numbers and analytical type work then it's a great job for you. The pay is pretty decent, as well. Work culture really depends on the company you work for. Some will be more relaxed about dress, time off, etc, than others. Mine is pretty rigid about appearances but very forgiving when it comes to work/life balance.
Thanks for the in put. Can you tell me how you got into the career? Was it your plan to do this or did it "find you"? Was your previous job related?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:08 PM

Bump

Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times
I'm a Market Research project manager for a publishing company. I manage all kinds of research studies from new product research to brand awareness to customer satisfaction. The biggest skills you need for a career market research are the ability to think analytically as well as communication and presentation skills. Presenting and communication skills are crucial as I am often presenting results to senior level management.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,829 times
How does one find these jobs? I've heard of them, but every time I look I end up sifting through tons of "marketing" jobs that are really just cold-calling.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
How does one find these jobs? I've heard of them, but every time I look I end up sifting through tons of "marketing" jobs that are really just cold-calling.
You need to search specifically on market research jobs. There are large market research firms like JD Power that hire entry-level analysts who sift through and analyze research data.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
You need to search specifically on market research jobs. There are large market research firms like JD Power that hire entry-level analysts who sift through and analyze research data.
Any idea what entry level pays?

I'd be doing a career change but I need to be making at least 50k (which would be a pay decrease). I'm wondering if I can use my degree and current job experience doing research to boost me above entry level and enter the job around 60k-70k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment