Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 AM

354 posts, read 385,389 times

Advertisements

Besides Monster/Indeed/Career Builder...

is there any hope of getting a job when you move to a new city and don't know anyone?

I moved to San Diego with a Mechanical Engineering degree, and while I'm employed on consulting work (making minimum wage some weeks...unit pay), I am scouring the net looking for other opportunities.

I didn't go to school here so I can't attend job fairs from the colleges (can i?), and I am wondering if there's any other hope than just being one of a million other applications/resumes by applying online.

Anyone have tips to get your foot in the door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
I used alumni association contacts (linkedin and real life) with good success. Not sure if your school has a strong alumni network in your new city.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Dice.com is excellent for IT/software development type work.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
LinkedIn?

Maybe use it to search for people in your network who are in your target cities?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 AM

use LinkedIn weekly, if not daily. I'm active on there, I email people who I don't know and ask to send my resume.

Is there another approach?

Maybe ask them for a foot in the door instead of sending them my resume? I've mostly emailed recruiters this way.

And an alumni group would be great, but my school is 2500 miles away and doesn't have many contacts out here unfortunately.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
I'm confused. Have you identified a list of companies to target in your new city? You need to find out the employers in your new area and apply directly on their site. Visit your target sites daily.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,746 times
linkedin linkup dice headhunters/ temp agencies

Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
I've actually gotten several interviews for IT positions from SimplyHired.com

Old 01-28-2014, 11:35 AM

yes, i've targeted a few companies im interested in. most of them only post positions im completely unqualified for, yet i do not look daily. is it better to apply for positions i know i won't have a chance at?

Old 01-29-2014, 04:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
How about trying a temp agency with the idea of working into a full time position?

The thing I like about temp agencies is the view from the employers side. I retired a couple of years ago, but at my last job I assisted my supervisor in hiring people for my department at the last job where I worked. The large insurance company where I worked outsourced most of their HR department to a temporary employment agency not just for people to work for a short period but to interview potential long term employees with the "try before you buy" idea in mind.

I found that the temp agency had fewer prejudices than the HR department as far as a "fit" for our department because they didn't have as many preconceived notions. The company's HR department used to screen people so thoroughly I think a lot of good potential candidates were thrown out. I know when I first applied to work there, I was rejected twice by HR back in the day when they had control over hiring before I got my job there. It was only because I had an "in" and was able to bypass them and be directly interviewed by a supervisor that I got my position with the company.

The temp agency sent us people after an initial screening and let us judge for ourselves as to who would or wouldn't fit. Sometimes those we picked didn't have the best qualifications but we knew the work and we knew who would work out. Everyone we hired made it and went on to be successful in other areas. Ours was an entry level department. We did a little bit of everything. It was a great foundation to build on to rise to the more lucrative jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search