Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

A co-worker of mine secretly told me he found a spreadsheet of how much everyone makes in the dept by accident. Would you want to know?

I told him that I don't want to know because it may create unnecessary tension and negative impression of some folks.

I ended up hearing a few estimates of what some folks that I work with make and it did make sense.

Some guys that were always greedy and gaming the personal time system weren't making as much as some.

There were some people that didn't deserve certain amount of salary were the ones always being scrutinized by management and that made sense too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 06:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I used to work payroll systems at 2 of the largest corporations in the USA at that time. We had access to the payroll data, but never nosed around in there. Just focused on the "need to know", which is get involved in it if it's part of the job/part of something you're working on at the moment.

After seeing that payroll data over the years for various work projects, I can say, on average, that most folks of the same 'job level/pay grade' generally are paid within 20% of others in the same grade. Usually someone that is new to a position either because newly promoted or not that long in their career - they are often on the lower range. Someone that's been in the position a long time is usually higher in the range.

Companies know this and often their annual salary increases give a bigger boost to those that are paid lower (within their pay grade), and a smaller boost to those that are already in the high range of their pay grade.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:47 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A co-worker of mine secretly told me he found a spreadsheet of how much everyone makes in the dept by accident. Would you want to know?

I told him that I don't want to know because it may create unnecessary tension and negative impression of some folks.

I ended up hearing a few estimates of what some folks that I work with make and it did make sense.

Some guys that were always greedy and gaming the personal time system weren't making as much as some.

There were some people that didn't deserve certain amount of salary were the ones always being scrutinized by management and that made sense too.
No, I wouldn't want to know. For what? It's none of my business! I don't care what other people earn.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 PM

60 posts, read 83,122 times
I think it might create tension... I might find myself jealous. I have encountered times in certain positions where I felt others "took" to the job faster or with more understanding than I. Sometimes people mesh better at certain jobs than others. It's not fair, it just is. I do very much like knowing that " I can say, on average, that most folks of the save 'job level/pay grade' generally are paid within 20% of others in the same grade." But of course, everybody wants to be on top!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
I'd want to know--though I'd rather coworkers freely exchange this info rather than look at a spreadsheet that wasn't meant to be released. The culture of making conversations about salary taboo greatly benefits employers, as it allows them to get away with unfair practices.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Same thing happened to me and stupid me was curious. Darn my curiosity. Because once I found out certain people were making a LOT more than me, with less time there, and a lot less skills, it just angered me to no end.

If I was ever put in that situation again, I'm sure I'd be curious, but I'd walk away. The emotions I went through and dealt with, isn't worth it.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
I've had family members work in 'the public sector' where everyone in the county knows exactly what you make. The only people that seem to keep track of it are busybodies who want to stir up trouble

Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
No, I wouldn't want to know. For what? It's none of my business! I don't care what other people earn.
I was not curious but I had a feeling that a couple of guys were underpaid and surely my hunches were correct when I was told of their rates that made me pitty but at the same time annoyed by their actions.

If some folks weren't making enough and they've been there for a long time even if they had asked for raises and not given quite enough. Shouldn't they just get off their butts and leave?

In the end I lost respect for a few people that I worked with that I thought were very hard working people but it turns out they were just ignorant. Instead of leaving for a better increase they stayed and for mediocre raises while keep voicing they are busting their butts in order to get better raises.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
A guy at my workplace found the payroll spreadsheet once. He was not pleased that a few of the people he supervised made a lot more than he did. The reason they made more was because they each had been demoted and had lost only some salary, not all. Without telling his supervisor he found the payroll sheet, he made his case that other managers in his position were paid more. He got a significant raise shortly thereafter.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:13 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,533 times
I found out someone who is in a position I started with is earning more than I am (and I've been here much longer) but this person has an advanced degree. Oh and I didn't go snooping before anyone assumes that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment