Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,282 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that it was by far my favorite place to work. I've even moved my family because I truly cared. It was a structured position with preset goals discussed in weekly meetings. Every quarter was another evaluation meeting of larger projects including future expectations. This made it easy to measure goals and expectations and plans to meet them. To make the story short, I've never failed to deliver what I said i would. All my goals were completed per company standards. More so I've gone above and beyond to help other departments. Everything in my department was measurable via a ticketing system which is what I liked the most. There were no surprises and these reports were compiled and signed by both parties and sent to corporate.

I’ve got called in the HR office with a severance check and the news that they are going to let me go. I understand this stupid Arizona state the right to work rule but this is madness. I've politely asked what the reason was. But what I got in return was complete flat out lies.

How do you deal with such idiocy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 09:49 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogles23 View Post

Take some time to gather your wits. Look for a new job.

It sucks! But it happens. You'll be fine.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 PM

160 posts, read 267,271 times
Op, I'm sorry to hear you were blindsided like that. Maybe someone in the company told a lie on you and set you up. Unfortunately, that stuff happens a lot and when people feel threatened by you there is no telling how desperate they will get to see to I that your out of the way.

Did it sound like someone set you up by what HR said?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
I've politely asked what the reason was. But what I got in return was complete flat out lies.

By not being an idiot yourself!
What were these so called "flat out lies" that they gave you? Thats a big part to getting any meaningful opinions or advice.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 PM

48 posts, read 67,270 times
You know what will tell you a lot? CALL or EMAIL them right away (or stop by in person if it's acceptable). Ask them very directly if they will give you a written reference in light of this unexpected development. If they say "not our policy", then ask about verbal references.

If they say no to both things, you have a good idea that:

1.) It really is against their policy
or
2.) They got fed a line of crap and fired you for something you did not do.

One last thing....no matter what, don't get too down on yourself....there is nothing you probably could have done. You have to be healthy and get past these jerks and what they did.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
What are you referring to by the "Arizona state the right to work rule"?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:20 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Sounds like you got laid off if they gave you a severance.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
What are you referring to by the "Arizona state the right to work rule"?
"Right to work" is a very (purposefully) confusing term to describe laws that actually means any employer has the "right to fire." Anytime. For no reason. Right-to-work statutes, which exist in 24 states, are designed to quash unions. They are also very successful at suppressing wage rates and codify rights in favor of business owners and away from laborers, as mogles23 has painfully learned.

Wikipedia's explanation of the inappropriately named "right to work" is very straightforward.
Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 AM

728 posts, read 1,900,539 times
Wow this totally reminds me of a previous employer and what they did to me.

Started working for them as a department manager. I had previous experience so I had some idea of what to expect but this company literally just dumped me with my employees and gave me no instructions or information on the day to day operations. I had to ask the employees all the questions about their daily tasks etc. This went on for about 5 days before they suddenly called me into the office and let me go on the grounds that "It's just not working out".

I then went ahead and applied for unemployment since I was let go and that's when things went from bad to worse. I told unemployment folks I was let go for no specified reason and the former employer countered with total lies. They claimed I was insubordinate and didn't want to work. So now I had to appeal their benefits denial and 3 months (and no income whatsoever) later I had my appeal in court and of course the employer never showed up and I was granted my unemployment.

What upset me the most about the whole ordeal was how they just start off a new employee, a department manager, and simply just give him no instruction or orientation or any information on the day to day operations and expect him to figure it all out on the first day and rather than give me feedback on not meeting their expectations they simply cut you a check and dismiss you like it happens all the time. Then to LIE to the unemployment department about why they let me go and never bother to come to the appeal meeting to state their case just goes to show that they simply did it to frack with me even more.

Funny that I frequently see this place advertising for the same position. Seems they can't seem to find that perfect department manager that can read minds I guess.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,024,549 times
Honestly, I would seek legal counsel. I had the same thing happen to me and although some of these states have a "right to work" way of doing things, they still have legal procedures they need to follow. For the average (non-legal) person you may not even know what they did or how they did it was wrong and may be able to at least get additional financial compensation. Seek legal counsel, don't let anyone tell you there is nothing that can be done. Good luck!!!

Quote:
Let me start by saying that it was by far my favorite place to work. I've even moved my family because I truly cared. It was a structured position with preset goals discussed in weekly meetings. Every quarter was another evaluation meeting of larger projects including future expectations. This made it easy to measure goals and expectations and plans to meet them. To make the story short, I've never failed to deliver what I said i would. All my goals were completed per company standards. More so I've gone above and beyond to help other departments. Everything in my department was measurable via a ticketing system which is what I liked the most. There were no surprises and these reports were compiled and signed by both parties and sent to corporate.

I’ve got called in the HR office with a severance check and the news that they are going to let me go. I understand this stupid Arizona state the right to work rule but this is madness. I've politely asked what the reason was. But what I got in return was complete flat out lies.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment